Denied boarding

Kosmo82899

I didn't read all the responses but this situation happen to a friend of mine and believe or not they ran to Sam's and signed up and they accepted the ID as a photo ID. Heard the same thing from a health cub.

this was a few years ago.....

With today's laws, there is no way this is acceptable. I question the validity of what you were told. Not calling you a liar but rather what you were told cannot be even close to valid.

You did say a 'few years ago' so maybe this was over 10 years, but even then.....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

What the OP never said was what was the BF's view of the problem.

It would be an interesting test of character if he told them that they should go and he would handle the issue vs letting them cancel and not taking such a stand.

According to OP, he was crying.

So, you had a copy of the birth certificate, and the hotel sent both parties a photo of the DL? Not acceptable? I didn't read all the posts, why wasn't the photo accepted? If the "photo" of the person identified that person, with his birth certificate, one in same. IF they had to have the original ID, why couldn't they use the "photo" and have the wallet forwarded to the first port of call and then show them.

Comes to mind, years back, it was either X or RC, I want to say X, my DH does not believe in getting a passport and always uses photo ID and birth certificate, this was before the compliant documents came in. We were processed, boarded, sailed. The next day, returning to our cabin, we noticed a message waiting, picked up and it was some office wanting to see my DH's paperwork again. They came up looked at it and left. Got me!

So, you had a copy of the birth certificate, and the hotel sent both parties a photo of the DL? Not acceptable? I didn't read all the posts, why wasn't the photo accepted? If the "photo" of the person identified that person, with his birth certificate, one in same. IF they had to have the original ID, why couldn't they use the "photo" and have the wallet forwarded to the first port of call and then show them.

Comes to mind, years back, it was either X or RC, I want to say X, my DH does not believe in getting a passport and always uses photo ID and birth certificate, this was before the compliant documents came in. We were processed, boarded, sailed. The next day, returning to our cabin, we noticed a message waiting, picked up and it was some office wanting to see my DH's paperwork again. They came up looked at it and left. Got me!

Again, Government WHTI rules allow for copies of the BC but does not allow copies of Government Issued Photo ID.

According to OP, he was crying.

The fact he was crying, does not answer the question if he took the position that they should still go and that he would handle his situation. All that crying says is that he was upset about the situation.

Again, Government WHTI rules allow for copies of the BC but does not allow copies of Government Issued Photo ID.

Yes, part of the reason for not accepting copies of the government issue ID's is to prevent fakes. Hard enough to prevent fakes of the id's themselves. Accepting a copy would bypass most of the anti-fake mechanisms built into the ID's. If they accepted copies one could scan an ID, photo shop a new picture into it, make any other necessary changes and then print.

The fact he was crying, does not answer the question if he took the position that they should still go and that he would handle his situation. All that crying says is that he was upset about the situation.

He wasn't crying, the other kids did. And then he accepted not taking any opportunity to get home and so everyone was penalized by the OP choice to cancel his own family.

This is my biggest issue is just have some compassion and give us a break. Especially since we have went on multiple cruises with them. I'm not saying it was in anyway shape or form Carnival's fault. It was completely on him/us for not making sure sooner he had it. But would it hurt them to be a little compassionate? At one point we were standing at the counter debating whether or not my family was going to go without him and both my kids were crying. One Carnival employee even made the comment that if somebody else was in working in customs that day that they would have probably let us on. I also don't understand why we had to wait over 3 hours just to be told no. The boyfriend had family relatively close to the port and had we been told sooner that he wouldn't be allowed on, the rest of us may have went on the cruise anyway. At least then we could have been assured that he had someone there to pick him up and he wasn't just stranded hundreds of miles from home. I guess I just feel doing a good deed here may cost them a couple grand, which is nothing to them but overall would do more good than harm. We will most likely spend more money than previously if they credit us for another cruise, would be more likely to consider future cruises with them and would pass on that they are a good company that takes care of their customers. As it stands now they will definitely not get any future business from us, not that it will hurt them at all lol.

As a seasoned cruiser myself, I am constantly aware of needed documentation. One may say I am obsessed with it. All bc, passports and other documents are in a folder that I carry in my oversized, just for cruising, purse. Before we leave home, after each stop, whether it is a potty/eat break, hotel stay, or just a get of the vehicle and walk around stop, before putting the car in gear, we check to be sure that all have their ID. Yes, they must actually pull out their wallets and confirm it is in there.

Identification is not just a Carnival issue, it is one of security for the home port as well as visiting ports. Placing blame on Carnival for not bending a policy you were very aware of, is not fair. Carnival must adhere to government policies or face fines that are much more then the "couple of grand" that you feel should have been returned to you.

I do feel bad that you were unable to enjoy your vacation, but do not feel that you are due any form of compensation.

As a seasoned cruiser myself, I am constantly aware of needed documentation. One may say I am obsessed with it. All bc, passports and other documents are in a folder that I carry in my oversized, just for cruising, purse. Before we leave home, after each stop, whether it is a potty/eat break, hotel stay, or just a get of the vehicle and walk around stop, before putting the car in gear, we check to be sure that all have their ID. Yes, they must actually pull out their wallets and confirm it is in there.

I do feel bad that you were unable to enjoy your vacation, but do not feel that you are due any form of compensation.

My MIL has OCD . It sounds like she has a twin .

Just wondering , when you leave ,how many times do you check to see if the front door is locked ?

Although I am not as extreme as the above poster, I DO make my husband stop the car after we've pulled away from the house so I can check for our passports ONE LAST TIME. After all, you can go on the cruise "missing" just about anything (clothing, toothbrush, camera) except your ID/passport.

CeleBrat

Edited by CeleBrat

My MIL has OCD . It sounds like she has a twin .

Just wondering , when you leave ,how many times do you check to see if the front door is locked ?

i don't know about the other poster but i don't worry about the front door. i do check our travel documents 3 times before i leave though.....once at the kitchen table, once as we get in the car, and once as we are backing out of the driveway. ocd.....maybe, but i've never missed a cruise either. ;)

Wouldn't he need a valid photo ID and his BC to get back in through customs?

This is the problem in a nutshell - getting on is not the problem, getting off the ship back home creates a big problem at customs. It is the government that did not let the boy on the ship not Carnival. And it would be the government that would have the problem at the end of the trip with no valid ID - no way you can be assured that the "same friendly customs agent" would be there on debark day.