What does two for 1 Cruising mean

JOHN 57

There will be better informed responses from others but basically I tbink it is a meaningless marketing statement. The brochure prices are a figment of someones imagination. Not a real price that might be paid.

In the end what matters is what you get for the various pricing levels they offer and how beneficial these appear to you, the consumer.

I agree with the others it is just Marketing ... means nothing really

Time they changed that marketing ploy

Just look at the Olife price Per Person pricing

or

The cruise only is PP + the taxes/fees ...no perks or airfare included

I agree with the others it is just Marketing ... means nothing really

Time they changed that marketing ploy

As a first time Oceania traveler, I also wonder how they get away with these listed 'brochure fares'. I think here in Canada you have to be able to prove that you actually sold an item at the 'list' price before you can quote it in a sale advert. Does Oceania ever sell at these crazy prices?

As a first time Oceania traveler, I also wonder how they get away with these listed 'brochure fares'. I think here in Canada you have to be able to prove that you actually sold an item at the 'list' price before you can quote it in a sale advert. Does Oceania ever sell at these crazy prices?

I am not sure on the rules here for the advertising they used to have to break down the pricing (at least in the small print that no one can read)

but that was years ago ;)

This two for one nonsense is just American marketing bs, which is totally illegal in Australia.

It is supposed to mean that two of you cruise for the price of one BUT double the fare pp quoted as the reduced fare and no one in their right mind would pay the mythical original fare .

Just like the savings advertised / quoted on launch or brochure fares . That too is bs American marketing again outlawed in Australia. The moment the cruise bookings are opened there is some promo or reduced fare; so NO ONE actually ever pays the launch/brochure fare - so no one ever saves the claimed savings as no one ever paid the brochure/launch fare .

Again Caveat Emptor . Oceania must think us punters are stupid the daily rate for the same Stateroom category on cruises of the same length on the same vessel varies enormously . If it looks good value then go for it, if it looks like a rip off then take your business elsewhere . Oceania under NCL management have got too greedy and are price gouging the unsuspecting on many itineraies.

I would like to take the time to thank you all for helping me understand.

John....its just a way of saying you get a cruise for half the full price.

The savings are too real, not made up.... when you take into account the shore ex, the liquor or the cash on board credit it can mean savings of a lot of money...too adding in the saving from Air fare adds up and is far better than you could ever get on your own... so the savings tours have a very real possibility for your savings

So go get your self a travel agent, shop for a good one, one who will get you prepaid gratuities, extra OBC, maybe even a cash rebate.

Cruise fares are higher and or lower due to things like port fees, taxes, sea days, air fares A trans pacific cruise of 38 days may end costing 212 a day but a port intensive one in Asia fro 20 days may cost $360 a day Its all based on what it cost the ship . When you shop break down the fare to cost per person per day to see what the good values are for you.

Remember some of the nay sayers are from foreign countries which have or may have drastically different fares. and draconian rules/laws.. not applicable to Huntsville and you. Australia make you pay a sur charge to use your credit card that in the US you wont.

John I agree that a good TA is so helpful but that they are also really rare. If you have friends who cruise ask them who they use. Over the use my on-line TA has saved me thousands of dollars by acting on my requests to rebook when a better price comes along. Most cruises though her price from the beginning is the lowest and I trust her to get me if not the BEST (define best and it is different for each person) DEAL a very good one.

Oceania has a very good product for people who are most excited about good food and drink and itinerary. Ships are older and much smaller than some ships so not all the bells and whistles (like water slides, and zip lines and 10 pools). But being smaller is good! Can get into ports that the big guys don't fit. (5000 folks hitting a small island can change the atmosphere too much. 500 --everybody can find a quiet beach to sun on.) Crew and other passengers get to know each other. Most O cruises are longer than 7-10 days and go to places in addition to the ordinary Caribbean and Alaska (not that those are not great places.) Young families are not discouraged from O but many find they like more excitement and more ship board options. Many extended families cruise O and enjoy it -- but does not tend to be many children onboard like the 589 grade schoolers on my last megamonster of the sea cruise in August.

Pricing can be controlled somewhat by your choices. Middle of ship balconies and of course suites cost the most. Most of the time I choose oceanview (window) near a stairway (easy to get out on the deck). O ships small enough that forward and aft not much different in terms of steps to popular places like dining room and pool. If you get motion sickness, middle and lower deck the best for lack of motion. Look at the plans and see what is above and below your cabin (other cabins usually are the quietest option). Many folks like the cozy comfort of an inside room --cheapest price but no outside light and sometimes smaller. Other folks won't go unless they have more room and the "best" rooms on the ship with extra perks -- and they pay for those perks.

Decide for yourself what is important. Decide if the "deal" is good for you -- beverage packages with up to 15 alcoholic drinks per day is not a "bargain" for a non-drinker or one drink a day person. I don't want 3rd or 4th person in my room (did that for the first 15 years:D ) so that is not a benefit for me. Low deposit --so good at the start but oh my when it all comes due 50-90 days ahead of cruise!! the overall question is: For my travel dollar will this ship and this itinerary and this package make me and mine happy? Have I seen something else out there that I want to check out -- hard to believe but some really don't like the cruise vacation. Does the deal fit my budget? Do I feel that I got a good package at a fair price? Then make your decision. Nobody else knows the answers but you. AND yes if you put a little research in and a little thought -- you'll know the answers for you. A good TA can help you ask the questions and get the answers. Cruise Critic is good for answers too.

Edited by Bowie MeMe

John I agree that a good TA is so helpful but that they are also really rare. If you have friends who cruise ask them who they use. Over the use my on-line TA has saved me thousands of dollars by acting on my requests to rebook when a better price comes along. Most cruises though her price from the beginning is the lowest and I trust her to get me if not the BEST (define best and it is different for each person) DEAL a very good one.

Oceania has a very good product for people who are most excited about good food and drink and itinerary. Ships are older and much smaller than some ships so not all the bells and whistles (like water slides, and zip lines and 10 pools). But being smaller is good! Can get into ports that the big guys don't fit. (5000 folks hitting a small island can change the atmosphere too much. 500 --everybody can find a quiet beach to sun on.) Crew and other passengers get to know each other. Most O cruises are longer than 7-10 days and go to places in addition to the ordinary Caribbean and Alaska (not that those are not great places.) Young families are not discouraged from O but many find they like more excitement and more ship board options. Many extended families cruise O and enjoy it -- but does not tend to be many children onboard like the 589 grade schoolers on my last megamonster of the sea cruise in August.

Pricing can be controlled somewhat by your choices. Middle of ship balconies and of course suites cost the most. Most of the time I choose oceanview (window) near a stairway (easy to get out on the deck). O ships small enough that forward and aft not much different in terms of steps to popular places like dining room and pool. If you get motion sickness, middle and lower deck the best for lack of motion. Look at the plans and see what is above and below your cabin (other cabins usually are the quietest option). Many folks like the cozy comfort of an inside room --cheapest price but no outside light and sometimes smaller. Other folks won't go unless they have more room and the "best" rooms on the ship with extra perks -- and they pay for those perks.

Decide for yourself what is important. Decide if the "deal" is good for you -- beverage packages with up to 15 alcoholic drinks per day is not a "bargain" for a non-drinker or one drink a day person. I don't want 3rd or 4th person in my room (did that for the first 15 years:D ) so that is not a benefit for me. Low deposit --so good at the start but oh my when it all comes due 50-90 days ahead of cruise!! the overall question is: For my travel dollar will this ship and this itinerary and this package make me and mine happy? Have I seen something else out there that I want to check out -- hard to believe but some really don't like the cruise vacation. Does the deal fit my budget? Do I feel that I got a good package at a fair price? Then make your decision. Nobody else knows the answers but you. AND yes if you put a little research in and a little thought -- you'll know the answers for you. A good TA can help you ask the questions and get the answers. Cruise Critic is good for answers too.

Possibly one of the finest most honest and accurate discussions I have ever read.....Excellent in every respect....

Thanks HawaiianDan. I think this is an important question and one hard to answer. What is a good cruise and a good cruise deal? It really depends on your own definition. I just like to do a whole bunch of research checking out different lines and different options and different itineraries. Always working on "the perfect cruise" for me and the hubby.

Another hard question: What is your favorite cruise? Each is like a child or pet. Sort of the same but entirely different and perfect in their own way. I always answer that my favorite cruise is the one I am planning next.