MSC Customer Service: Book Direct or use TA

Sunshine2U

How good is the MSC Customer Service/Booking team these days? I'm ready to book and now deciding where to book. I usually look for the best deal and then go that route. So if everything else was equal, how easy is MSC to work with these days?

We'll be booking a balcony and as inexpensive inside cabin as we can get. I'm not seeing an Inside Guaranteed come up anywhere. Do they exist on every cruise? We're looking at the Seaside.

I always book direct with MSC now, either by phone or online. It's extremely easy to do so and I prefer not to use third parties unless I must.

I'm talking about the UK office though. You may be in a different location.

How good is the MSC Customer Service/Booking team these days? I'm ready to book and now deciding where to book. I usually look for the best deal and then go that route. So if everything else was equal, how easy is MSC to work with these days?

We'll be booking a balcony and as inexpensive inside cabin as we can get. I'm not seeing an Inside Guaranteed come up anywhere. Do they exist on every cruise? We're looking at the Seaside.

You can get better prices with a TA. USA

I've read that MSC does not allow TA's to discount. Also, I haven't found an online TA who is offering any discount or OBC that is not available direct from MSC. I've done online price comparisons. And I called one large cruise discount company. All have the same offer available from MSC. Yet I always hear that TA's have better deals. How do you go about finding a better deal?

I'm glad to report when I called MSC my call was answered promptly and the agent was able to field my questions. So that was good news to me.

I've read that MSC does not allow TA's to discount. Also, I haven't found an online TA who is offering any discount or OBC that is not available direct from MSC. I've done online price comparisons. And I called one large cruise discount company. All have the same offer available from MSC. Yet I always hear that TA's have better deals. How do you go about finding a better deal?

I'm glad to report when I called MSC my call was answered promptly and the agent was able to field my questions. So that was good news to me.

You are not looking at the right ones.

• 6 months later...

I tried to go through the automobile club in the US and a discount cruise site and neither had any different deal than directly on MSC. However, we have had numerous issues with the customer service department concerning policies and promises that are either misleading or incorrect. We were told conflicting information concerning status match discount and the kids reduced/free promotions. We got a great deal, but you never like to be told you're going to get a better deal and then not receive it. The customer service department never returns emails/voice mails until several days or even weeks later. Some of the agents are misinformed about policies and they messed up our requested dining times. So, all in all, you probably get the same rate directly, but heaven forbid if you ever need anything once you book. Thank goodness for Cruise Critic.

I booked via an online agent because they offered a modest OBC for our recent Western Med cruise on the Splendida.

Once I was registered on the MSC website, I was able to call MSC directly when I needed to change some things and order a 18 drinks coupons. The US customer service reps are located in Florida so no language or culture barriers. The only issue was the time difference from the west coast for me.

If you look around there is an online travel agent that offers discounted rates on MSC and NCL cruises. I booked a cruise for about 10% less than I could directly through MSC. The only bad part with this TA is that if you cancel your booking they charge you a $100 fee.

I've used their representatives twice for booking, and have been extremely happy . I now have a direct line for my PCC. Another reason to call is that you don't get your Voyager Club discount online. You have to call for that.

I cruise solo. After contacting a number of TAs they found nothing available for a single traveler. I then called MSC directly. The MSC agent found a single inside cabin with a 40 percent single supplement and a 5 percent military discount. He suggested I do a status match and call him back. Called back and he was able to get me an additional 10 percent discount because it is a 21 day Voyager Select Cruise. With the exceptional service I was able to accomplish my booking in one day.