Hotels at FCO...Hilton Garden Inn?

Bruin Steve

I've got to find a hotel near Fiumicino (Rome) Airport for both my first night and for my last night--before and after my cruises...

Our flight into FCO is scheduled to arrive on Wednesday, June 21st at 7:55 pm, so, by the time we get off the plane, get our luggage and get to a hotel, it will be a little late...

On the last day, July 12, our flight out is at 9:15 am, so it makes sense to be near the airport rather than to stress with getting up early and grabbing a taxi from Rome.

I've been looking at various hotels and either the prices seem a bit steep for airport hotels or they don't look like very attractive properties...

The Hilton Garden Inn has availability at €126 (w/breakfast, €140)...but it requires a non-refundable pre-payment in full at booking. The lowest refundable rate is €171...That seems an awfully steep premium for a cancellable rate.

But, we're pretty glued in to this trip already (airline tickets are purchased), so, maybe we just do the pre-paid rate?

Anyone with an opinion on this hotel? Thanks.

Edited by Bruin Steve

While we have never stayed at the Hilton Garden we have heard decent things about the property. But you are at the mercy of their shuttle service between hotel and airport. One advantage of the FCO Hilton is that it is connected with an overhead walkway (accessed just outside the front door) to the FCO Terminals.

Hank

I've stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn twice. I prefer it to the regular Hilton because the shuttle (which is very frequent) drops you right off in front of Terminal 5, whereas you have a longer walk from the Hilton.

The property is about what you'd expect for an airport hotel (I am not a fan of staying near airports); characterless but nothing to complain about either. Good breakfast buffet if you spring for it.

I have always stayed at the FCO Hilton, attached to the airport. I don't have to do the T5 thing (either connect elsewhere in the EU or fly Alitalia), so the shuttle didn't matter. It's a quick walk from the train terminal to the hotel and hotel to the airport. I've always done Hilton employee, HHonors Points or Cash & Points for my stays. I'm also a HHonors Gold, so I have been either upgraded to the Club floor (with it's lounge with food and beverages) or given Club access. If it matters, it also has a pool. I've always been treated well there. It is a good, solid, business-class hotel.

Seeing that you are looking for coming and going, stay at the FCO when you come in and then walk to the train. Stay at the HGI when leaving so you can use the T5 shuttle...

Edited by slidergirl

The Hilton Garden Inn is not connected to the airport, but the Hilton Rome Airport is. Stayed at the Hilton Rome Airport twice as HH Gold and upgraded to Club room or access to club lounge. Also included breakfast either at the club lounge or main restaurant. They run a complimentary shuttle to Rome if one decides to spend a couple of hours in town. It's an easy walk to the airport but last time we stayed there, the driver was available before 6am and drove us to the terminal for free (with a nice tips.) We really liked this hotel.

We stayed at the Hilton Airport Hotel in May. We weren't expecting much but were suitable impressed. It was an easy walk from the terminal and as we are HHonors members on check in we were upgraded to the Club floor. The breakfast in the Club lounge was a bonus. I'm glad we chose that instead of the Hilton Garden Inn

We booked via the Hilton website

Edited by lydnsyd

We do agree with Terminal 5 issue working in favor of the Garden Inn. Just to explain (for those not familiar with the lay of the land), Terminal 5 is used for nearly all departures going direct to the USA (and I think Canada). This is because Terminal 5 check-in procedures include extra levels of security not used in the main terminals. If one is departing from T5, and stays at the Hilton...they have two choices. Wait for the Hilton to run a shuttle over to T5 (not sure how often the Hilton runs that shuttle) or walk all the way over to the main Terminals and catch the free bus over to T5. If staying at the Garden Inn, one can take their free shuttle over to T5. So the advantage of being able to walk from hotel to terminal (only available at the Hilton) is not very helpful with that T5 departure.

Hank

Thanks for everyone's opinions.

We booked the Hilton Garden Inn. Nonrefundable rate. The price was significantly less. Hilton Garden Inn ranks #4 of 23 Fiumicino hotels on TripAdvisor.com, Hilton FCO ranks #11. A short shuttle ride with drop off right at the terminal does not bother us. We should have plenty of time in both directions.

We do agree with Terminal 5 issue working in favor of the Garden Inn. Just to explain (for those not familiar with the lay of the land), Terminal 5 is used for nearly all departures going direct to the USA (and I think Canada). This is because Terminal 5 check-in procedures include extra levels of security not used in the main terminals. If one is departing from T5, and stays at the Hilton...they have two choices. Wait for the Hilton to run a shuttle over to T5 (not sure how often the Hilton runs that shuttle) or walk all the way over to the main Terminals and catch the free bus over to T5. If staying at the Garden Inn, one can take their free shuttle over to T5. So the advantage of being able to walk from hotel to terminal (only available at the Hilton) is not very helpful with that T5 departure.

Hank

The shuttle from Hilton Garden Inn runs continuously in a loop all day from 5:00 am in the morning until 1:00 am at night (and after that it runs on request). It makes stops at all of the passenger terminals and several parking areas. The maximum wait time during regular service is 15 minutes.

http://hiltongardeninn3.hilton.com/resources/media/gi/FCOAPGI/en_US/pdf/en_FCOAPGI_AirportShuttlenew_15Jul2016.pdf

• 9 months later...

Interesting to see this thread pop up again after all these months...especially now that we're heading off to this cruise in just over a week.

It's a little strange as to how this all played out. We had figured we were safe booking the non-refundable rates at the HGI due to our scheduled air flights. Then, all heck broke loose. Air Berlin changed our flight times--drastically...

Our flights there, LAX to SFO to Düsseldorf to Rome was changed so much that the dead time in SFO would be uncomfortable...so they allowed us to change it to LAX to Düsseldorf to Rome (what we would have preferred in the first place)...and we now arrive a lot earlier--at 3:45 pm.

Our flights home--Rome to Düsseldorf to LAX was changed with the first leg arriving in Düsseldorf AFTER the connecting flight was to have taken off! The only way available to remedy that was an extra night in Rome and a flight the NEXT day Rome to Berlin to LAX.

On that first night, had we known we'd arrive mid afternoon rather than 8:00 pm, we would not have booked at the airport, rather we would have stayed in Central Rome that night. But, our first night reservation could not be canceled.

We called Hilton to see if we could change that last night reservation to the following night, we were told no. And since we are still departing 8:00 am the following day, we were forced to make an additional reservation for that next day.

So, now, though I dislike airport hotels, we are staying three nights at the HGI...I'm guessing, for that extra day in between, we'll find some sort of transportation over to Ostia Antica... And we're hoping the restaurant at the HGI is decent...

At the airport Hilton, many have expressed its an easy walk, how about the luggage, we don't travel,lightly? :o

We stayed there last year and found their shuttle difficult to locate. We saw a hotel sign and walked it with all our luggage. It seemed to be about a 1/2 mile walk and it turned out to be the other Hilton hotel. Just be cautious to make sure you get the right shuttle.

We have used the Hilton Garden Inn twice and both times the shuttle service was great. The hotel was quite nice. It is not a resort but we only wanted a nice, clean, and convenient place to spend the night.

At the airport Hilton, many have expressed its an easy walk, how about the luggage, we don't travel,lightly? :o

Depends on how much you like to walk and whether you can easily handle all your luggage. Although the walk is relatively easy, it is also pretty long. You exit the Hotel at the main entrance/exit and you will see (on your left) and enclosed elevator (this is outside the hotel). You take this elevator up to an overhead walkway...and then start the long walk. There is often some airport luggage carts at the bottom of the elevator (left by folks that walked to the hotel) which can make things easier...but no guarantee that there will be a cart. So you walk along this flat overhead walkway which takes you into the airport (you can access T1- T2 or T3). The walkway is covered (all weather) although you are out in the elements for the few feet from the hotel door to the walkway elevator. As long as you can walk a few hundred yards dragging your luggage...all is fine. If you can't handle it...I believe the Hotel does offer a free airport shuttle van (used to run every 30 min) which will take you directly to your terminal.

Hank

Just be sure you do not confuse the Hilton Rome Airport (aka "FCO Hilton") with the Hilton Garden Inn Rome Airport (aka "HGI FCO"). FCO Hilton is the one attached to the airport via the parking structure. HGI FCO is 4km outside the airport (but within the "airport zone") and uses the shuttle. The FCO Hilton has a pool if you have free time, the HGI FCO does not. If you are HHonors Diamond or are an HHonors Gold with a room on the Club floor, the FCO Hilton has a very decent spread of appetizers, beer, and wine at night, and a very decent breakfast in the morning. It's a small room, but doable. As an Hhonors Gold, I have always been upgraded to a room on the Club floor - a nice perk that I never assume, but am happy to receive. No Club room at the HGI that I know of.

Now that US airlines with non-stop flights out of FCO to the US no longer have to go to T5 for pre-clearance, staying at the FCO Hilton and walking gets you to your terminal.

• 4 weeks later...

We are on our trip now, almost done...

The HGI for our first night was nice enough. Shuttle was very easy to find. It is not really the Hilton's own shuttle, but an airport bus that makes other stops. They have two loops, so make sure to get on the right one (not really a problem). We also took the shuttle back to FCO to get to the train station for our trip to Orvieto the next morning.

BTW, Orvieto is beautiful. Our hotel there, the B&B Valentina was very nice and very convenient. Comfortable room with kitchenette, table and chairs for four and a nice sofa, close to center of town. 75 Euro per night.

Right now, we are on our post-cruise...Two nights in Tivoli...and our hotel here is incredible. The "Catillo". Our room...for 99 Euros per night including breakfast...is a two story suite. Bedroom and study/loft on top floor, bathroom and extra bedroom on ground floor along with extremely large private patio. Only issue is having to walk downstairs to use the bathroom in the middle of the night...but, I guess you can't have everything. Tivoli is pretty cool as well as an alternative to Rome for those of us who have been to Rome many times. Today, we toured Hadrian's Villa and the Villa Gregoriano...Both pretty incredible. Tomorrow, we'll tour the Villa d'Este before catching a train back to the HGI for our final two days.

By the way, there is absolutely nothing around the HGI. The hotel restaurant is okay. Breakfast buffet is decent, for dinner, we had pizza--not bad, about 30 euros on the bill with a couple of Cokes...

For our day in between, we'll likely just head into Rome as we've seen so many ruins on the cruises (Nora in Sardinia, Akrotiri in Santorini, Delos in Mykonos, the Acropolis in Athens, Olympia from Katakolon) and on the visit to Tarquinia after Orvieto and today in Tivoli that Ostia Antica might just be overkill at this point...

Getting to Rome and back means the shuttle back to FCO and either a train for between 8 and 14 euros pp each way (depending on whether the local or the express) or between 4 to 8 Euros each way by bus. Since we have all day and will have no luggage with us, we may just take the bus and use the money for dinner!