Port Canaveral vs Ft Lauderdale

ABQrobin

For those of you who regularly cruise out of these ports.... I think I have read that people hate PC, but I don't remember why.

How are your experiences?

How about the people onboard the cruises?

We sailed out of Miami on the Glory last summer and quite honestly we thought they were the most unfriendly people ever. Lots of rudeness, pushing and shoving in halls and getting off boat, in the Lido buffet area, kids running and slamming into people and never saying sorry. We loved everything about that cruise, but our shipmates. When we got back to port, we noticed that more than 50% of the people were in the Out-of-country line, not the US passport line. We are blaming the rude behavior on that... but maybe not?

Tell me you thoughts...we are looking to book a cruise out of Florida soon for Feb, and would prefer to miss those people if we can.

I have sailed from both ports many times. My port of choice is Pt Canaveral. I think most people sailing from there are more friendly and less argumentative.

I think it's not only the port. A lot of it is based on the cruise line. Some lines attract more rude passengers with a bad attitude. My next cruise is from Ft Lauderdale and the one after is from Pt Canaveral. They are on two different lines.

Many cruises from Ft Lauderdale attract some of the same passengers as Miami as they are really not far apart. I think you need to check the different lines sailing from the FL ports and see what the reviews are.

Good luck

While I like both ports . However we had our worst experience with rude people before boarding at Embassy Suites in Ft Lauderdale and that same rudeness continued on the ship as well . Believe it or not it was a group of people from CC. These people were rude and acted like they owned the ship. Pushing , drunk behavior . But the port itself is rather nice.

PC is always a pleasure ,just a relaxed atmosphere .

Texas seems to have a reputation for poor behaving passengers based on what I have read.

We have saided out of Texas twice.... people are nice, have good manners, say please and thankyou and excuse me. Totally opposite of the crew that was on our boat out of Miami last August. Yeah, Texas cruisers (majority from Texas and Oklahoma) are a bit louder and more outgoing, but to us that is a good thing. That is different from being shoved out of the way at the buffet or in the hallways.

We just sailed from PC as Platinum and it was the BEST experience we have ever had boarding a Carnival ship. They have a dedicated entrance to the terminal for Platinum/Diamond/FTTF guests with VERY short security lines. As soon as you are through an agent met us and took us to her station to check in and then we waited in the Capt.'s Lounge. It was the most stress free check-in we have ever had :)

For those of you who regularly cruise out of these ports.... I think I have read that people hate PC, but I don't remember why.

We sailed out of Miami on the Glory last summer and quite honestly we thought they were the most unfriendly people ever. Lots of rudeness, pushing and shoving in halls and getting off boat, in the Lido buffet area, kids running and slamming into people and never saying sorry. We loved everything about that cruise, but our shipmates. When we got back to port, we noticed that more than 50% of the people were in the Out-of-country line, not the US passport line. We are blaming the rude behavior on that... but maybe not?

Tell me you thoughts...we are looking to book a cruise out of Florida soon for Feb, and would prefer to miss those people if we can.

I think you do see a difference in passenger demographics dependent on port of embarkation. Miami is a major point of entry for international flights. The same is true about the length of the cruise where the shorter cruises attract a different demographic overall than longer cruises. And of course different demographic groups have different cultures and values. My last cruise out of Miami was many years ago, for the very observations you stated. One thing I noticed were very large groups planting themselves in the Lido dining area and basically just staying there for hours on end. They were loud and obnoxious and seemed oblivious to the fact that others might like to have a place to sit down and eat. I enjoy a lively atmosphere and meeting people from all walks of life, but IMO there is no excuse for being rude and disrespectful of others.

I've cruised out of many ports in my years of cruising, and my favorite port of embarkation is New Orleans. That port seems to attract a lot of unpretentious southerners who know how to have a good time but are also warm and charming. And New Orleans is a fun place to hang out pre-cruise.

Have you considered New Orleans?

I think you do see a difference in passenger demographics dependent on port of embarkation. Miami is a major point of entry for international flights. The same is true about the length of the cruise where the shorter cruises attract a different demographic overall than longer cruises. And of course different demographic groups have different cultures and values. My last cruise out of Miami was many years ago, for the very observations you stated. One thing I noticed were very large groups planting themselves in the Lido dining area and basically just staying there for hours on end. They were loud and obnoxious and seemed oblivious to the fact that others might like to have a place to sit down and eat. I enjoy a lively atmosphere and meeting people from all walks of life, but IMO there is no excuse for being rude and disrespectful of others.

I've cruised out of many ports in my years of cruising, and my favorite port of embarkation is New Orleans. That port seems to attract a lot of unpretentious southerners who know how to have a good time but are also warm and charming. And New Orleans is a fun place to hang out pre-cruise.

Have you considered New Orleans?

We really want to do the Eastern itineraries, can't do those from NO.

Yes, the passengers on the Glory last summer were to a great extent from outside the US. We just figured it was because it was August (lots of families with kids) and people not used to US manners. No kidding, even walking down the hall to our room became an issue. People would walk 3 across, and when you approached them to go through, they would not move to single file, they would keep their space blocking the hall. I went by One group that slammed me against the wall, and said nothing... and I am a small 5'2" woman. It was horrible and very intimidating. Ditto in the Lido food area.... I had people run into me, actually grab me and shove me out of their way. A teen boy full force slammed into me when I was getting a drink, and then got in my face when I started to say something to him. No excuse me, no sorry, and plus I thought he was going to punch me. As I said, I am a 5'2" tall 50+ year old woman. So effing rude.

If that is the normal clientele for Miami cruises, we will never sail out of there again. Maybe it was just August and so many non-Americans.. but that is why I am asking if others have this problem.

Understand, these are MY comments. PC I think is an easier port to get to, parking is easy and you can stay in a hotel the night before and your parking is free at the hotel during your cruise. I also find many of the cruisers have just been to Disney, so they are there to have a nice time and have spent a lot of money to get there. I prefer not to travel during the summer and deal with the kids...my choice. I don't recommend three day cruises on any cruise line, that's where I've seen and experienced the party, and less-traveled passengers.

Miami can/is a zoo, parking is expensive as the parking fees are shared with Carnival (don't know about other lines, but do know with Carnival) I find many more languages being spoken in Miami and many cultures may not share our laid back atmosphere. The worst in our travels (sorry) have been the Russian cruisers.

Another port that is not to be overlooked is Tampa. Great aquarium right next door, there is off port parking as well. Traffic is nowhere as chaotic as Miami.

Unless it is an incredible price or a new port, we won't leave from Miami....ever again!

No probs with peeps, but I would prefer Ft Lauderdale, only because you can be closer to hotels, and the port is very close by... Pt Canaveral was like a 45 min ride from the airport, that would be the only issue... Both ports are nice.

I agree with another poster that said it probably has very little to do with the port. It's more time of year and length/cost of cruise - plus maybe the specific cruise line as well.

I sailed out of Fort Lauderdale and at no point felt there was any noticeable rudeness or anything of the sort.

Just go, and have fun. Either port is fine. Pick which one has the ship/itinerary you want. You have Tampa, Port Canaveral, Miami, and Fort Lauderdale if you want to choose in Florida.

I live in Fort Lauderdale and we don't like to go to Miami for much of anything (though the port is irrelevant). It's essentially a latin American city and the people are extraordinarily inconsiderate. It's a cultural thing. I guess it's plausible you will get more of these people on a Miami cruise, especially the shorter one, but certainly nothing I've ever noticed.

Edited by BNBR

Two cruises out of FLL in 2015. One with Carnival and one with Royal. Both very positive and friendly experiences. Our first cruise was out of NYC and that was an eye opener for us first time visitors!!!

Two cruises out of FLL in 2015. One with Carnival and one with Royal. Both very positive and friendly experiences. Our first cruise was out of NYC and that was an eye opener for us first time visitors!!!

The big US cities can be a shock, that's for sure. I try to avoid them.

Granddaughter was injured at FL during boarding. We are Platinum but there was no control once they started boarding. It was a out of control mob.

We will avoid FL until boarding improves.

Why not just wait for the crowd to calm down? We boarded around 12:30 if I recall, just walked right on, there wasn't a line/crowd or anything of the sort. I was actually a tad surprised how nice and pleasant boarding was.

Living in central Florida, I've sailed most of the Florida ports many, many times. I agree with most of the above, but my absolute favorite is the Port of Tampa. Having said that, it's true that you can't sail any ship bigger than "Spirit Class" from Tampa, and you won't get a cruise to the Eastern Caribbean from there. Second is without a doubt Port Canaveral. As noted, easy parking, great ships from there, and friendly folks at the embarkation desks. Next would be Ft. Lauderdale, and last Miami, primarily due to the traffic, rude people, and just lots of congestion, overall. ;) Never sailed Jacksonville, and it's been a long time since I've sailed New Orleans.

"SKY"

I agree with another poster that said it probably has very little to do with the port. It's more time of year and length/cost of cruise - plus maybe the specific cruise line as well.

I sailed out of Fort Lauderdale and at no point felt there was any noticeable rudeness or anything of the sort.

Just go, and have fun. Either port is fine. Pick which one has the ship/itinerary you want. You have Tampa, Port Canaveral, Miami, and Fort Lauderdale if you want to choose in Florida.

I live in Fort Lauderdale and we don't like to go to Miami for much of anything (though the port is irrelevant). It's essentially a latin American city and the people are extraordinarily inconsiderate. It's a cultural thing. I guess it's plausible you will get more of these people on a Miami cruise, especially the shorter one, but certainly nothing I've ever noticed.

It was a 7-day cruise to Eastern Caribbean... a stop in Puerto Rico, and I gathered quite a few passengers were on it just for that reason. We got diverted to western carib due to hurricane hitting St Thomas.... and people were not happy. Lots of angry people all day every day, which might have contributed to the rudeness. And as I said, on debark, the non-US passenger line was wrapped around into the luggage pickup area. They announced onboard that only US passport people would be allowed off the ship for awhile until it got caught up... so we went down and literally walked right up to a clerk! There were maybe a dozen US citizens, and 300+ non-citizens down there. It was shocking to both of us and that is why we thought maybe all the rudeness, pushing, and shoving all week was a cultural thing.

Edited by ABQrobin

Port Canaveral is my favorite port to sail from, they really have their act together and keep passengers moving.

I agree. Port Canaveral has the embarkation and particularly the disembarkation routine down to a science, and also has the friendliest employees. I also love the fact that it is so much easier to drive to than Fort Lauderdale or Miami. Hotels in the area are also very reasonable.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by simplelife

Fll is much closer.

We really want to do the Eastern itineraries, can't do those from NO.

Yes, the passengers on the Glory last summer were to a great extent from outside the US. We just figured it was because it was August (lots of families with kids) and people not used to US manners. No kidding, even walking down the hall to our room became an issue. People would walk 3 across, and when you approached them to go through, they would not move to single file, they would keep their space blocking the hall. I went by One group that slammed me against the wall, and said nothing... and I am a small 5'2" woman. It was horrible and very intimidating. Ditto in the Lido food area.... I had people run into me, actually grab me and shove me out of their way. A teen boy full force slammed into me when I was getting a drink, and then got in my face when I started to say something to him. No excuse me, no sorry, and plus I thought he was going to punch me. As I said, I am a 5'2" tall 50+ year old woman. So effing rude.

If that is the normal clientele for Miami cruises, we will never sail out of there again. Maybe it was just August and so many non-Americans.. but that is why I am asking if others have this problem.

Wow! That sounds like a horrible experience! So sorry that happened to you. I agree. I would not ever sail out of Miami again. And I also understand wanting to sail to the Eastern Caribbean. Some of my favorite ports are HMC and Grand Turk. Try Fort Lauderdale before you give up on Eastern Caribbean. FLL is a trade-off. It's not as good as New Orleans, but certainly better than Miami. And Port Canaveral is enjoyable too, but the downside there is the long distance between the airport and cruise port.

I hope your next cruise is enjoyable and without past worries.