Guarantee Cabins

miss-heli

Having cruised with Azamara before we were happy to book a guarantee cabin for our Cruise on the Journey next month.

However I have just read a less than happy review about a recent sailing which in its self does not concern me BUT in the reviewer's comments on the cabin they say the Azamara told them that a GTY does not secure you a minimum type of cabin ??? Surely this is not the case ?

Has anyone had an issue of this type ?

Edited by miss-heli

I went and read the review. They were specifically talking about having booked a Suite Guarantee (W GTY) and were allocated an accessible suite which have recently been converted from accessible balcony cabins. There are just two of these cabins on the ship and it would appear they were the only suite cabins left. They wanted a standard Club Continent suite with a bath or shower and without the adaptations I think. That was the issue. In reality if you book an Inside Guarantee (Z GTY) you will get at least an inside cabin, but it could be the lowest category of inside. Similar for Oceanview cabins and balcony cabins. If you book a GTY cabin you could very well end up with a location you wouldn't choose ordinarily. You may also luck out and have a good location for a attractive price or an upgrade, although these are now rarer. You will likely be assigned a cabin within the GTY grade you chose.

I think that was a mistake on the part of the Azamara telephone agent. That's the whole point of a guarantee cabin - the clue is in the name - it guarantees you a cabin of the type mentioned in the name - guaranteed verandah, guaranteed ocean view etc. You can't be given anything below that, but can be given a higher class cabin.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

You can't be given anything below that, but can be given a higher class cabin.

As I said and just to manage expectations, this is less likely now especially with the Le Club Voyage loyalty stateroom upgrade program. Guests booked into specific cabin types take priority before GTY bookings and therefore more than likely will be allocated a cabin according to what they chose.

Many thanks for the reassurances. We are not anticipating an upgrade and will be happy with any verandah cabin . Just a little concerned that we could be put in an outside cabin as that's all that appears to be available now.

Previous Azamara trips on Quest have been in selected cabins so this will be our first experience of their guarantee allocations

Edited by miss-heli

And let's not forget a GTY comes at a lower price than booking a specific stateroom in the GTY category. Pay less but take a risk by doing so.

Reminds me of someone originally on our Quest transatlantic cruise next month. She booked a GTY veranda but didn't like being given the VX! She tends towards sea sickness and wanted a mid ships cabin rather than the higher rated forward cabin. Should have booked what she wanted rather than a GTY then. Some people would think themselves lucky being in the larger accessible suite too.

We booked a gty cabin on our June Journey cruise and it is a risk, but you do get significant savings sometimes. Not always though and for a few extra pounds it is always worth choosing your cabin position.

As others have said, you get what you pay for and have to accept that a gty may well be the worst placed cabin on the ship. Ours was...but a very kind friend came to our rescue! :)