Delayed Boarding Majesty of the Seas August 22nd

We received the text, email and phone call yesterday too. Kudos to the thorough communication. The water system maintenance occurred twice last year (Aug and Nov) and one of those delays was CDC related (Legionnaires' disease). Since there is a sailing on Aug 19 returning Aug 22, I am thinking it is nothing more than maintenance. Otherwise they would do it between today and Friday if something occurred on the cruise that returned on Aug 16.

Here is a link to what I initially read: http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=518117

I agree that $20-$25 OBC is nothing compared to (based on other related posts) loss of cruise time paid for, dealing with chaos at check-in, 2500 passengers being herded aboard, being out in the heat in long lines, fatigued from milling around Port Canaveral, possibly hungry, and ignored by crew members too overwhelmed by the craziness to keep answering the same questions. Then there is the possibility that water issues in the cabins will occur from the rushed maintenance.

Since we booked Air2Sea (never again) nonrefundable and no changes without a fee and that's through the airline vs. RCI so changes will lose their insurance/assurance. So, now we arrive way too early to MCO on Monday. We were excited to board around 10:30am but, now... we have to figure out what to do for 7hrs. :( -- Anyone have any suggestions on what to do in PC? There were many suggestions when MOS was homeport in Miami.

Disclaimer: I am naturally a worrier when anything gets off track. At any rate, I am glad to have gotten an early alert. Gives me time to plan my course of action for that day. Maybe, ha.

Thanks for the info on the cruise contract. I believe this might be the first and last time I'll be sailing on RCI (despite wanting to sail on Oasis). I've read enough reviews to know the sewage coming up in peoples showers is a recurring issue. An issue they had to fix 3 times in almost exactly a year. I read last year some people didn't get on the ship until 10pm. I paid full price and should get a full cruise. I work to hard to buy something and not get exactly what I paid for. I'm highly disappointed, annoyed and feeling duked.

There is an outlet mall not far from Disney, in Lake Buena Vista.

Great suggestion, if I wasn't shopped out from preparing for this trip.

Are you at a Disney resort? You could lay by the pool and enjoy the activities at your resort, or take the bus or monorail to another resort to explore it. It's easy to leave your luggage with Bell Services for the day. If it were me, I'd take the bus to Downtown Disney for breakfast and shopping (or after your Chef Mickey's breakfast), then head back to the resort for a swim in the afternoon. Pick up your bags from Bell Services and take your UBER as planned. In 2014 we got beautiful silhouettes of our boys made at Disney Springs that were not expensive.

We will be hanging out at our "Perfectly fine for one night" airport hotel all day :rolleyes:. There is a movie theater within walking distance. NOT the day I've been looking forward to, but we will make the best of it. I looked at changing our plans - maybe renting a car and going to the Space Center, but this vacation is already costing us a lot of money and I don't want to spend extra $$$.

I'm wondering how they will handle dinner and muster drill, though. I doubt we will be settled by our 6:00 dining time, and I'm NOT missing that! :D

Hopefully boarding will go smoothly and quickly. Although it didn't last year.

I'm leaning toward just staying at the resort and/or exploring Disney Springs. This would be the best option with our two big bags. I know there is a movie theater at Disney Springs and lots of other fun things to do. Also had plans on staying up late to do laundry now I'll have plenty of time to wash, dry and fold our Disney clothes.

I looked into renting a car decided against it, too many extra stops for more than an Uber. My quote was $52-68, most likely door to door.

Talk to the front desk at the hotel and let them know the situation and maybe they will let you have a late check out that day. I would suggest heading to Disney Springs. They have recently redone it and it is beautiful. They have a movie theater and bowling alley.

Just remember you are sailing on one of the oldest ships in the fleet that had been schedule to leave the fleet this past year but they decided to keep it. Oasis is state of the art and only 7 years old.

Hope you have a great trip.

You keep mentioning getting what you paid for but even with a later boarding you are getting what you pay for. You paid for a set number of NIGHTS not full days. Hence why they are advertised as a 7 night cruise and not an 8 day for example.

You keep mentioning getting what you paid for but even with a later boarding you are getting what you pay for. You paid for a set number of NIGHTS not full days. Hence why they are advertised as a 7 night cruise and not an 8 day for example.

I don't see a cruise as just a nights stay. All cruises I've been you have to be on the ship by mid afternoon. You have lunch go to the munster drill head to the pool deck for a drink, or three, and be entertained at the sail away party. Then enjoy a first night sit down dinner and maybe even catch the show. Me and my fellow cruisers will not have this experience when at the time of booking we thought we would.

I also ordered the premium drink package and 2 device voom, which is sold on the website at a per DAY rate. I decided to cancel the drink package because the first day of the package isn't worth it if we won't be boarding until 5:30-6. This is partly what I meant by not getting my moneys worth.

Talk to the front desk at the hotel and let them know the situation and maybe they will let you have a late check out that day. I would suggest heading to Disney Springs. They have recently redone it and it is beautiful. They have a movie theater and bowling alley.

Just remember you are sailing on one of the oldest ships in the fleet that had been schedule to leave the fleet this past year but they decided to keep it. Oasis is state of the art and only 7 years old.

Hope you have a great trip.

After the initial shock of having my cruise pushed back, I realize being stuck at Disney, even without park tickets, isn't the end of the world.

I understand things happen unexpectedly, however this is the third time in a year RCI has delayed cruises for on the Majesty for water system maintenance. After reading recent reviews of poop coming up the shower drain I understand the maintenance of the water system is really needed. I've also read how RCI has cancelled cruise and left the passengers at the port high and dry with no place to stay. By choosing to keep the ship with recurrent problems RCI have put the burden of an older ship on to the customers. At this rate there is 5.5% chance that if you are sailing on the Majesty your cruise will not go as expected. that's based on the 3 delays I know about. I cruise because it's relaxing, fun and pretty much all inclusive.

I called customer service and when I got to the third person I was told as of yet there will be no compensation for the inconvenience. Service and experience is important to me when on vacation. From what I read and this experience thus far I don't think my overall satisfaction is important to RCI, especially since they already have my two grand.

I guess I live in a world where I don't expect to be compensated for every little thing.

Boarding delays happen and most of the time it isn't something within their control. As I stated, whether you agree or not, you are still getting what you paid for. There is no guarentee that you are onboard by a certain time. If you think this is poor service than cruising might not be for you because it can and does happen on all lines. And none of them will refund your money. Some may give a tiny obc but that is something they don't have to do.

Edited by BeachChik

Could be worse......my friend is a doing a B2B2B on MJ starting Friday....he was informed everyone(pax) have to leave the ship on turnaround day..At least you're not stranded at the port..

Edited by PH8

I don't see a cruise as just a nights stay. All cruises I've been you have to be on the ship by mid afternoon. You have lunch go to the munster drill head to the pool deck for a drink, or three, and be entertained at the sail away party. Then enjoy a first night sit down dinner and maybe even catch the show. Me and my fellow cruisers will not have this experience when at the time of booking we thought we would.

I also ordered the premium drink package and 2 device voom, which is sold on the website at a per DAY rate. I decided to cancel the drink package because the first day of the package isn't worth it if we won't be boarding until 5:30-6. This is partly what I meant by not getting my moneys worth.

After the initial shock of having my cruise pushed back, I realize being stuck at Disney, even without park tickets, isn't the end of the world.

I understand things happen unexpectedly, however this is the third time in a year RCI has delayed cruises for on the Majesty for water system maintenance. After reading recent reviews of poop coming up the shower drain I understand the maintenance of the water system is really needed. I've also read how RCI has cancelled cruise and left the passengers at the port high and dry with no place to stay. By choosing to keep the ship with recurrent problems RCI have put the burden of an older ship on to the customers. At this rate there is 5.5% chance that if you are sailing on the Majesty your cruise will not go as expected. that's based on the 3 delays I know about. I cruise because it's relaxing, fun and pretty much all inclusive.

I called customer service and when I got to the third person I was told as of yet there will be no compensation for the inconvenience. Service and experience is important to me when on vacation. From what I read and this experience thus far I don't think my overall satisfaction is important to RCI, especially since they already have my two grand.

Don't believe "the phone people". They know nothing about what compensation there may or may not be.

If I were betting, I would say that since the Empress passengers got $20 last week, you will get at least that much.

I guess I live in a world where I don't expect to be compensated for every little thing.

Boarding delays happen and most of the time it isn't something within their control. As I stated, whether you agree or not, you are still getting what you paid for. There is no guarentee that you are onboard by a certain time. If you think this is poor service than cruising might not be for you because it can and does happen on all lines. And none of them will refund your money. Some may give a tiny obc but that is something they don't have to do.

I do disagree with you and so do other people. But after looking at your recent post I see you are just a troll poking at already annoyed travelers. Furthermore I'm not looking for something free just what I thought I was buying.

Could be worse......my friend is a doing a B2B2B on MJ starting Friday....he was informed everyone(pax) have to leave the ship on turnaround day..At least you're not stranded at the port..

True. I'm still planning on having a good time on vacation despite the delay. I have to go finish packing making dinner and figure out why the Princess has Elmer's glue in her carry-on. 7 am flight.

See whoever is cruising on board safe travels.:)

I do disagree with you and so do other people. But after looking at your recent post I see you are just a troll poking at already annoyed travelers. Furthermore I'm not looking for something free just what I thought I was buying.

I disagree with her as well. While it's a small issue in the grand scheme of things, you aren't getting what you signed up for. This may sound stupid to some but embarkation day is one of the best times for us, wandering around the ship, hitting a few bars, leisurely lunch, checking out the cabin, signing up for specialty restaurants...or not...and taking our time before the drill and dinner. It's like precruise and we love it. And I think a small token OBC is in order especially since they know this far in advance that there are issues.

I would consider cancelling your drinks package and then repurchase it on board the next morning, depending of course on how much you can drink from 6:00pm on. If you do cancel 72 hours or more prior to sailing it will be refunded to the credit card that you used to purchase it. After the 72 hours you will receive Refundable OBC.

Oooh, there is a helpful, non-judgmental suggestion! I can't find any flaw with it, I think you deserve some kind of award.

Oooh, there is a helpful, non-judgmental suggestion! I can't find any flaw with it, I think you deserve some kind of award.

I agree, that's why I followed it.

And besides all the children around I'd love if Disney had a premium drink package

I agree, that's why I followed it.

And besides all the children around I'd love if Disney had a premium drink package

Enjoy your cruise and do a PA native a favor and report back on how it goes if/when you are able. I'm counting down till my 4th time on Majesty.

Edited by BillOh

We are going on our 20th sailing next week on Empress, all on Royal and never have we had a delayed boarding. Twelve of those cruises have been on Her Majesty of the Seas.

Just because you have never had a delayed boarding does not mean it does not exist...

I'll have to call in the morning. But yes that is a significant delay we have 6:00 dinner seating. Don't know how we are suppose to me on time for that when they're asking for us to arrive at 5:30. It's all a very big inconvenience

I doubt you will be eating dinner at 6.... unless maybe you don't mind an interruption for Muster Drill

I didn't pre purchase lunch but it's included in the price of boarding. The plan was Chef Mickey's for breakfast than head to the ship have drinks with my package sit by the pool and have lunch.

When we boarded Majesty in May, we boarded right at 11. The only bar that was open was the Schooner. The line for drinks was very long. We found beer and wine available in WJ. The ship really doesn't get in full active mode until about a 1/2 or so after Muster.

I disagree with her as well. While it's a small issue in the grand scheme of things, you aren't getting what you signed up for. This may sound stupid to some but embarkation day is one of the best times for us, wandering around the ship, hitting a few bars, leisurely lunch, checking out the cabin, signing up for specialty restaurants...or not...and taking our time before the drill and dinner. It's like precruise and we love it. And I think a small token OBC is in order especially since they know this far in advance that there are issues.

I could not have said it better. :cool: Pre-cruising is definitely what I was looking forward to by being able to board as early as 10:30am. This is our first cruise and I was looking forward to watching all of the ships embark and waving bye to the other cruisers FROM the Majesty of the Seas. It never occurred to me that I would be experiencing that happy joyous excitement while standing on the terminal. :(

Sorry I was on my way to work or working when I write those. I'm a night nurse. I think I will cancel my drink package, especially if I'm only getting a $20 OBC.

Any ideas for options pre cruise. I was thinking matinee at Downtown Disney. Or maybe an Orlando beach near the port. Does anyone have any ideas? Something inexpensive with a nearby lunch and easy to catch an Uber. 😟 I'm not renting a car. Although it's more of an option now. I hate being in a strange city alone, just me and my daughter, with no place to go.

Cocoa Beach is just right around the corner, a nice beach. You could go to Ron Jon's and the pier too. A KSC tour might be too long but you could visit the Vistors Center. It has nice history and displays,

Majesty.... dear Majesty....

Majesty was sold for a bit, was supposed to be out of the RCCL rotation... PC used to have Enchantment for it's 3/4 night cruises. We lost Enchantment in the reshuffle of ships. Freedom is still there but for 7 night cruises. We lose her to FLL November, and get Oasis instead.

Majesty was bought back by RCCL because so many locals and frequent cruises complained. RCCL listened and did the best they could. We like Majesty and think she has the best crew in the fleet.

We we rather a new nicer ship at PC for 3/4 days and our weekend getaways, sure, but Majesty is whole lot better than no ship at all.

You should give it a chance.