QM2 Thoughts & Comprehensive Photo Spread

eroller

I recently returned from the August 1, 2016 eight-day crossing of QM2 from Southampton to New York. No full review this time but I’ll mention almost everything was to perfection! I think QM2 is better than ever, and her recent “remastering” has only improved her in my opinion. The atrium has been opened up, the new King’s Court is superb, and the transformation of the Winter Garden to the Carinthia Lounge has created one of the most inviting and popular spaces on the entire ship. A job well done by Cunard! In addition I enjoyed overall great cuisine & service, and a wonderful variety of weather. Everything from sunny & warm, to rainy & cloudy, seas smooth as glass, as well as a day of rough seas with hurricane force winds. We had it all and QM2 handled it like the Ocean Liner she is. Cunard’s fantastic lecture program rounded things out, and I’m happy to say they had excellent speakers on this crossing, as well as Herbie Hancock leading up the Jazz Festival at Sea. QM2 pretty much offers everything I’m looking for in a ship. I wanted for nothing and very much enjoyed everything she had to offer. She is probably my overall favorite ship currently afloat.

There are just a few areas of opportunity I felt worth mentioning:

- check in at the QE2 terminal in Southampton was dismal. The line stretched outside the main entrance and took an hour just to get inside. Not a great way to start a “luxury” voyage.

- the internet was subpar. Cunard still charges by the minute and it’s very slow. I’m astonished this wasn’t upgraded during her “remastering”. Meanwhile other lines are installing high speed internet with reasonable pricing and unlimited usage. Cunard is really behind the curve in this regard.

- no beef wellington the entire voyage! Yes I love it and Cunard was one of the last lines that offered it. They had salmon wellington one night and it was quite good, but not the same.

- the fun Cunard ocean liner documentaries on the TV are history. I really enjoyed these and certainly missed them.

- Ocean Bookshop is gone, and there is only a limited selection of ocean liners books now offered. I hope Cunard reconsiders this decision. It was truly a Cunard distinction.

- a small detail but still important. The Cunard branded cocktail stir sticks are gone, replaced by generic ones which incidentally are the same that P&O uses. I don’t want Cunard to become P&O and it’s the details that make all the difference. One cut like this often leads to another, and I don’t want that to happen.

- this is not a negative from the cruise itself, but after I returned I received an electronic survey from Cunard. It was full of questions like “do you enjoy traditional dining” and “are there enough dining options” as well as “do you think Cunard is too formal”. It almost seemed as if they were prompting you to answer the casual dress and open sitting dining questions in a positive way. This would surely give them ammunition to change the onboard format, saying it was “customer driven”. I did not answer these questions in a positive way, as one of the things I enjoy about Cunard is the traditional and formal atmosphere. Cunard is pretty much the last cruise line left to offer this style of cruising, and should it disappear Cunard will become no different than the 40+ other cruise lines out there which offer a casual and untraditional style cruising experience. The cruise choices for a casual experience are endless, not so for a formal and traditional experience.

Since QM2 was recently “remastered” I felt it was time for another full photo spread. Attached are links to almost 450 photos of the ship, of which I think I captured just about every public area except the children’s center and tender loading lounges. Also a separate link to the Daily Programs and some menus. All the photographs are labeled, just hover your curser over them to see the title.

448 Photos of the “remastered” QM2:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/eroller/albums/72157669531770864

Daily Programs and some Menus:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/eroller/albums/72157672532942026

Hope you enjoy!

I really don't understand why Cunard can't get its act together on embarkations, even in Southampton, their home port. We've had miserable experience with this, a dramatic difference from the other 8 or 9 lines we've traveled. Still, we are booked on 2 more crossings on the QM2. My strategy now is to show up late and hope that the crowds and chaos are gone.

Great pictures.

I'm glad you enjoyed the Herbie Hancock show .. I gather there was a fair bit of "long format" material that some didn't find enjoyable …. I must admit I tend to get a little twitchy about 20min into a single piece. My jazz loving man says I just need more practice :-)

Great pictures.

I'm glad you enjoyed the Herbie Hancock show .. I gather there was a fair bit of "long format" material that some didn't find enjoyable …. I must admit I tend to get a little twitchy about 20min into a single piece. My jazz loving man says I just need more practice :-)

Herbie Hancock is a bit of an acquired taste, and I have to admit not really my cup of tea. I do admire the talent of the man and his fellow musicians though.

Generally I like jazz, but the style of jazz that Herbie performs is quite unique.

I really don't understand why Cunard can't get its act together on embarkations, even in Southampton, their home port. We've had miserable experience with this, a dramatic difference from the other 8 or 9 lines we've traveled. Still, we are booked on 2 more crossings on the QM2. My strategy now is to show up late and hope that the crowds and chaos are gone.

I agree. When I can board OASIS & ALLURE OF THE SEAS in 10 minutes literally from drop-off at the pier to walking on the ship, there is no excuse for Cunard. Those ships literally carry more than double QM2's capacity.

I arrived right when the tickets stated (12:30pm) and what a mess. I'm sure 3pm would have been much better, but even so it should not be such a mess even at 12:30pm.

I agree. When I can board OASIS & ALLURE OF THE SEAS in 10 minutes literally from drop-off at the pier to walking on the ship, there is no excuse for Cunard. Those ships literally carry more than double QM2's capacity.

I arrived right when the tickets stated (12:30pm) and what a mess. I'm sure 3pm would have been much better, but even so it should not be such a mess even at 12:30pm.

Thank you for your report and the photographs, a great selection of views showing the ship at its finest.

There was a mess leaving the ship on the 1st August, because of a problem with the gangway on deck 3 beside Sir Samuels. I wonder if that caused a knock on effect for those boarding? I suspect yes, because there were people still processing through the arrivals hall around 11am.

By observing from inside the vessel, it looked like the ship had moved after the gangway was connected on arrival causing it to sit at an angle. I wonder if the spring lines hadn't been tightened sufficiently? Possibly an operations failure rather than purely inefficiency of the embarkation process on the 1st August. Nevertheless I agree, not a good first impression for those embarking.

M-AR

There was a mess leaving the ship on the 1st August, because of a problem with the gangway on deck 3 beside Sir Samuels. I wonder if that caused a knock on effect for those boarding? I suspect yes, because there were people still processing through the arrivals hall around 11am.

By observing from inside the vessel, it looked like the ship had moved after the gangway was connected on arrival causing it to sit at an angle. I wonder if the spring lines hadn't been tightened sufficiently? Possibly an operations failure rather than purely inefficiency of the embarkation process on the 1st August. Nevertheless I agree, not a good first impression for those embarking.

M-AR

Thanks for the information. Much appreciated! Unfortunately it seems that embarkation has been a disaster ever since QM2 emerged from her refit. Computer problems, gangway problems, etc. One excuse after another. It's time to get this in check!

The ship looks great..I was worried at first that she would be changed for the worse..the lobby looks nice and so does the Kings Court...so it was worth ripping out the scenic lifts..the only room that did not get a new carpet pattern was the Commodore Club...wonder why? Also the G32 now has a starry night sky ceiling ..I don't remember that. I also will miss the old ocean liner channel if its gone and will ask why on my Nov crossing!

The ship looks great..I was worried at first that she would be changed for the worse..the lobby looks nice and so does the Kings Court...so it was worth ripping out the scenic lifts..the only room that did not get a new carpet pattern was the Commodore Club...wonder why? Also the G32 now has a starry night sky ceiling ..I don't remember that. I also will miss the old ocean liner channel if its gone and will ask why on my Nov crossing!

G32 is better than ever! It's now completely smoke free and actually smells decent in there. All new chairs on the lower level, and the upper level has the original chairs but reupholstered. Of course all new carpeting. There appears to be new sound and lighting but I can't confirm that. It was quite busy on this crossing during certain nights. So nice to see it alive and thriving. Something for everyone on QM2! It's funny being that QM2 is so formal & traditional, that she should also sport one of the largest and best nightclubs at sea.

I was on that crossing too. Great photo's. I wonder how you got so many with next to no body in the frame. Well done.

It's a talent! Takes lots of patience and strategic timing. Much easier on port days when everyone is ashore. Much more challenging on a crossing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

G32 is better than ever! It's now completely smoke free and actually smells decent in there. All new chairs on the lower level, and the upper level has the original chairs but reupholstered. Of course all new carpeting. There appears to be new sound and lighting but I can't confirm that. It was quite busy on this crossing during certain nights. So nice to see it alive and thriving. Something for everyone on QM2! It's funny being that QM2 is so formal & traditional, that she should also sport one of the largest and best nightclubs at sea.

A further improvement to G32, unrelated to the refit, is they currently have a decent DJ who knows how to judge the mood and play appropriate music to keep the night clubbers engaged.

M-AR

Ernie,

Thanks for all of those gorgeous photos. If I weren’t already booked for 10/18 I think your shots would’ve pushed me over the edge to make a reservation. I think Cunard could use a few of your pictures as promo! I always appreciate your insight and generally agree with your opinions on all that Cunard does and doesn’t do right. I’m glad to see that you had an overall positive crossing. Yes, let’s keep it traditional Cunard. That’s the whole point! I love summer crossings because of the chance of good weather with bad and the more diverse population on board due to summer breaks, etc. The last summer crossing I did had 100 kids on board, though we rarely saw them. Anyway, you’ve whetted my appetite for my October crossing all the more.