Best way to get from Civitavecchia to Rome?

Sigyn

We arrive in Civitavecchia on August 30 for one day in port, and I'm trying to determine the best way to DIY our way to Rome. Is it necessary to buy tickets in advance for the express train? Is the express train a viable option or should I just stick to the regular train?

Where do you recommend for the station to get off at for Rome? We want to tour the Spanish steps and Trevi fountain and other basic must-sees like those before we head over to the Colosseum for a 3.5 hour tour. Our meeting point for that one is the Colosseo metro line B stop, and then we finish up the tour at a different location, at the Palatine Hill. So I'm also not sure where that means I should get back on the train.

Any info is helpful. I've been busy researching this and don't have solid answers. Thanks!

Edited by njsmom

Forget about an express train, the first one of the day isn't until 11:18 AM, far too late for a port day. Take the first regional train you can get on.

If the Spanish Steps is your first stop stay on the train all the way to Termini, then take the metro line A, direction Battistini for three stops to Spagna.

From the Spanish Steps to Trevi is best by foot, it's less than half a mile.

I've found when researching, it's best not to only depend on what people have said or posted. Go to the source, so to speak.

For train schedules, go to http://www.trenitalia.com and you can switch to an English option. To check for the train schedule, put in a date within the next week -- regional train schedule does not appear for dates that are very far out, but the schedule doesn't vary.

If you take a look at Google maps, for example, you'll see Palatine Hill, the Colosseum and the Roman Forum are all adjacent to each other. If you are ending your time in Rome at Palatine Hill, you should go back to the Colosseo metro stop (where your tour starts). You have two choices from here -- you can take the metro to Termini station and catch the regional train to Civitavecchia here OR you can take the metro in the other direction and get off at Pyramide metro station, then walk to the (connected) train station called Ostiense and board the regional train there.

On the one hand, if you go to Termini, you are much more likely to get a seat on the train going back, as it originates here. On the other hand, it is a looooong walk to the tracks for the regional train in Termini station and you are, in a sense, backtracking by going to Termini vs. Ostiense.

I've found when researching, it's best not to only depend on what people have said or posted. Go to the source, so to speak.

For train schedules, go to http://www.trenitalia.com and you can switch to an English option. To check for the train schedule, put in a date within the next week -- regional train schedule does not appear for dates that are very far out, but the schedule doesn't vary.

If you take a look at Google maps, for example, you'll see Palatine Hill, the Colosseum and the Roman Forum are all adjacent to each other. If you are ending your time in Rome at Palatine Hill, you should go back to the Colosseo metro stop (where your tour starts). You have two choices from here -- you can take the metro to Termini station and catch the regional train to Civitavecchia here OR you can take the metro in the other direction and get off at Pyramide metro station, then walk to the (connected) train station called Ostiense and board the regional train there.

On the one hand, if you go to Termini, you are much more likely to get a seat on the train going back, as it originates here. On the other hand, it is a looooong walk to the tracks for the regional train in Termini station and you are, in a sense, backtracking by going to Termini vs. Ostiense.

Yes, I've been on that site, trying to make sense of it, even in English. Do people buy their train tickets in advance? I thought you just buy them at the station.

You would not need to buy your ticket in advance for this Civ-Roma journey. There would hardly be any advantage to do so (if indeed you could) i.e. reduced advanced fares. There is an advantage to buy tickets online in advance for other types of journeys

Edited by gary222

See, that's why I'm confused. I read there were earlier express trains.

You can take Euro's advice to the bank :). As he posted, the first true express train is at 11:18. And keep in mind that these express trains are only about 20-30 min faster then the regular trains which run much more often. In your case you have regionale trains at 8:42, 8:59, 9:43, 9:58, 10:44, 10:53, and finally your "express" train at 11:18 which would get you to Termini more then 2 hours later then the 8:42 :).

So do what most of us do. Get to the station, buy a BIRG ticket (includes all days use of Rome's Metro and bus system) and hop on the next train (after validating your ticket. You can get the BIRG ticket (or an ordinary ticket) at the station, at the small travel office next door, or at many newstands

Hank

A couple comments.

We have used Viator, but they are, as mentioned just a middleman/broker. I believe we booked through them twice, but we normally just go directly with the actual vendor or guide. Once with Viator was without a hitch. For the other one, it actually worked out to be a good thing, I think. We were in Italy, and we had by far and away the worst experience with a private guide. We never do ship's excursions and we always line up our own guide, tours, DIY, whatever, and we will continue to do so. However, we actually had to dismiss this particular guide, and he wouldn't go easily. Long story, and I'm sure it was a fluke, and it's the only negative experience we've ever had. I was able to get our deposit back from Viator. That's not to say that another tour operator/company wouldn't have accommodated us either, but Viator did.

Next, for the OP, the train is certainly a good and easy option. For another option, however, the ships usually also offer basic bus transportation into Rome. It's just transportation, not a tour. They drop you off in a central location and tell

you where and when to meet the bus at the end of the day. Probably more expensive than the train, just another option and something to consider as a Plan B in the event of an infamous Italian train strike :)

Finally, I see you are on the Vista. We were on a very last minute cruise that happened to be on Carnival earlier this year. The cruise director, Matt, is now on the Vista. He was one of the best cruise directors we've ever had on all the ships we've been on.

I have used several options in my travels.

The first time I went i did the train on my own but the ship seemed to be closer to the train stop then it is now cause we walked and it only took like 15 minutes. Im still confused about that. I know a lot of people did the train this past June on my cruise and had no problem, although a lot got stuck because there was a major issue on the train track which I won't go into because it was very sad.

The second time, I booked private with Joe Banana Limos which was Excellent.

The next few times, I found my roll call and shared with italytoursharing.com which to this date is my very favourite way to get and see the sites. You get the most out of your time and dollar in my opinion and you get to meet other travellers which become life long friends especially if you share 3 excursions with a lot of the same people on your cruise.

This past June I used Smartcruisetours and booked just the bus transfer. It was very reasonable but I felt we missed a lot of time in Rome. The bus didn't leave until almost 10 o'clock and out ship was in port at 7 am so I watched all the people leaving the ship and getting their tours and on their way while I waited -that was tough - lol. The price was very good but again, when you don't have a lot of time in the port, I say spend the extra $$ and see as much as possible but that is just me.

Lots of options I just mentioned. It is up to you what will suite your needs. Enjoy your trip!! Hopefully, it doesn't become an addiction like me because Im broke and its putting a wedge in my retirement fund, hahaha!!

This past June I used Smartcruisetours and booked just the bus transfer. It was very reasonable but I felt we missed a lot of time in Rome. The bus didn't leave until almost 10 o'clock and out ship was in port at 7 am so I watched all the people leaving the ship and getting their tours and on their way while I waited -that was tough - lol. The price was very good but again, when you don't have a lot of time in the port, I say spend the extra $$ and see as much as possible but that is just me.

This is the problem with the shared tours, they wait for the last ship to arrive and they have to be back in time for the first ship that leaves, so you have a very short amount of time in Rome.

As it is most of the time, it's a trade-off between time and money.

Im still confused about that. I know a lot of people did the train this past June on my cruise and had no problem

This past June I used Smartcruisetours and booked just the bus transfer. It was very reasonable but I felt we missed a lot of time in Rome. The bus didn't leave until almost 10 o'clock and out ship was in port at 7 am so I watched all the people leaving the ship and getting their tours and on their way while I waited -that was tough - lol. The price was very good but again,

- The port authorities probably in agreement with the local public bus company (and perhaps the Cruise lines) have increased the difficulty for Cruisers wanting to get to the Train station by cancelling an intermediary port shuttle bus stop (which is close to the Train station) at certain times.

- With the private tours you took, could they come directly to the ship?

- on the transfer with Smartcrusietours, had they stated what their scheduled departure should have been? Did they explain that this can be amended if other ships are arriving later than scheduled?

- how did the price of the transfer compare with the the ships transfer?

- The port authorities probably in agreement with the local public bus company (and perhaps the Cruise lines) have increased the difficulty for Cruisers wanting to get to the Train station by cancelling an intermediary port shuttle bus stop (which is close to the Train station) at certain times. The old stop is closed all the time. Not at "certain times"

- With the private tours you took, could they come directly to the ship? Absolutely

- on the transfer with Smartcrusietours, had they stated what their scheduled departure should have been? Did they explain that this can be amended if other ships are arriving later than scheduled?

- how did the price of the transfer compare with the the ships transfer?

See comments above.

Are you sure?

The port website indicates that intermediate stops are used and not closed : http://civitavecchia.portmobility.it/en/shuttles

Discussed here frequently. The port shuttles only go from the front gate to the specific ship that shuttle is assigned. The shuttle doesn't stop at the old fort entrance.

I have used several options in my travels.

The first time I went i did the train on my own but the ship seemed to be closer to the train stop then it is now cause we walked and it only took like 15 minutes. Im still confused about that. I know a lot of people did the train this past June on my cruise and had no problem, although a lot got stuck because there was a major issue on the train track which I won't go into because it was very sad.

The second time, I booked private with Joe Banana Limos which was Excellent.

The next few times, I found my roll call and shared with italytoursharing.com which to this date is my very favourite way to get and see the sites. You get the most out of your time and dollar in my opinion and you get to meet other travellers which become life long friends especially if you share 3 excursions with a lot of the same people on your cruise.

Lots of options I just mentioned. It is up to you what will suite your needs. Enjoy your trip!! Hopefully, it doesn't become an addiction like me because Im broke and its putting a wedge in my retirement fund, hahaha!!

You sound like you were on the early June Vista cruise I was on. I decided to take the shore excursion that consisted of a transfer to a special siding and an express train to Rome. This was to San Piedro station and a 10 minute walk or so to the Vatican where they gave you a whole bunch of options. I chose one of the HOHO buses but that also involved a 15 minute walk to the nearest stop.

It was a pleasant enough day but I hadn't realized there was as much walking involved. In any event as I finished my activities a bit early, I decided to walk myself back from the Vatican to San Pedro station. The problem is that the walk from the station is downhill for the most part but the walk to the station is uphil after a day of a lot of walking but I made it with some time to spare waiting for the express train back. At the time the guide was due back he arrived out of breath and told the few of us who had made it to the station ourselves that a person had done herself in on the tracks and the trains would not be running back to the port. After a series of frantic phone calls with Carnival, they arranged buses to take us back to the ship...somewhat longer than the train would have been. But we met some passengers who had done it themselves and now had no way, so they said, of getting back to the ship.

I don't how it was finally resolved but the ship waited for them and we left the for Livorno late but the stranded passengers all somehow made it back before the ship left.

Edited by MATHA531

Are you sure?

The port website indicates that intermediate stops are used and not closed : http://civitavecchia.portmobility.it/en/shuttles

If you read your own link carefully you'll see that the Varco Fortezza stop (the one near the fort) is only used by the ferry shuttles. Cruise ship shuttles go to Largo della Pace, which is the Via Turco exit.

This is the problem with the shared tours, they wait for the last ship to arrive and they have to be back in time for the first ship that leaves, so you have a very short amount of time in Rome.

As it is most of the time, it's a trade-off between time and money.

By going to the website Cruise TT and checking on arrival/departure times of other cruise liners into port you should be able to understand the potential for this eventuality, no?

Edited by gary222

By going to the website Cruise TT and checking on arrival/departure times of other cruise liners into port you should be able to understand the potential for this eventuality, no?

The harbor cruise ship schedule on it's website is far more accurate than Cruise TT.

Another problem that I do not think has been mentioned is that the shuttle from your ship will wait until he has enough passengers to make the trip "worthwhile". On our visit in June this added another 10-15 minutes that I had not accounted for and thus my DW and I as well as about 10-12 others were a few minutes late for the train we preferred. Normally not a big deal but as this was on a Sunday the train frequency was reduced. Add in this time contingency as well.