Bummed I have to cancel today.

We have one booked for November with some other friends, but I'm so aggravated that they didn't help out today, that I almost want to cancel that one and change allegiances to Royal. I just keep reminding myself that it was not carnivals fault. That doesn't mean that I don't think they could have helped out, but it's not their fault.

If they help you, they have to help everyone that has some sudden situation come up. Even though they don't have to, I've actually heard of the big evil cruise lines moving reservations after final payment to another date under certain circumstances. Evidently they don't feel yours is qualifying. Sorry man but all you can do is just cut your losses and go on. It will save your sanity. You're a good man

Edited by ryano

Under certain circumstances I would have stayed for the birth but I absolutely would have insisted my Dh went on the cruise without me and taken DS if he wanted to go. I'm way to cheap to think we'd lose the whole fare. I'd of driven him to the port and dropped his butt off, he wouldn't have had to chose stay or go and before I could blink he would have been running to that ship LOL

But I'm also taking the kids and going on a cruise without him in Oct because he decided to use most of his vacation time for other things and now he won't be able to take a family one with us until our March one, his choice to use his vacation for other things and heck no I don't feel guilty about it. I won't feel guilty when I leave him for the next one either :D But we've been married long enough that we don't have to spend 24/7 with each other, if we want to do different things we do it, we do family trips too. Everyone wins.

Edited by poobears

We have one booked for November with some other friends, but I'm so aggravated that they didn't help out today, that I almost want to cancel that one and change allegiances to Royal. I just keep reminding myself that it was not carnivals fault. That doesn't mean that I don't think they could have helped out, but it's not their fault.

Yep, not Carnival's fault. Still can't believe you didn't switch your dates months ago when it was apparent you had time management issues.

Trust me. He will never live it down.

And listen, my wife is a great woman, she just made a bad call here in my opinion. That bad decision will be confirmed when the kid isn't even here yet by Saturday, our scheduled day to return. She certainly isn't happy by any means that she had to choose to stay back.

All I can do tonight is sit in my room wondering what the other two couples are doing right now. They have probably already eaten a Guy's burger and a chocolate melting cake. Those jerks. Hahah

:D:D Again, your attitude is GREAT!!!!!!

Those damn Guys Burgers.......Get you all the time!!!:D

Yeah, I saw that later on in this thread. I wonder if he has Travel Guard? We have the same clause in our travel policy through Travel Guard.

I think a lot of the insurers have the same clause. We have it on our TravelInsured World Wide Trip Protector Plus.

It was definitely very noble of you to stay back with your wife. I still wouldn't have stayed back, even with it being the first baby, but I understand someone else choosing differently. $1300 is a lot of money to our family and I wouldn't be willing to "waste" it by staying home when the baby will be there when I got home. Like I said, my sister missed the birth of my first baby to go on a trip, so I do have "experience" in this area and she even KNEW I was IN labor when they left on their trip. Hindsight is that she said they would have waited the few hours if she had known my labor was going to be so fast, the baby was born at 1 pm so there was still plenty of time for her to leave after her niece was born. But, I understood and didn't care that she wasn't there and she saw the baby right away, as soon as they got back into town.

Edited by amydresh

Have you considered calling about your situation again. I was dealing with Customer service on a totally unrelated issue but it took 3 inquires. 2 denials followed by 1 compromise :rolleyes: Now I didn't get exactly what I felt was correct, but I did get satisfaction.

Something would be better than nothing. No refund, but credit (even partial) towards a future cruise would be nice. Some reps are more helpful than others.

Tomorrow (Tuesday)

Oh wow, it could still be awhile for her to give birth. A lot of first timers go over by a good week or 2. I hope that's not the case because that would really suck to have missed your cruise for nothing.

Trust me. He will never live it down.

And listen, my wife is a great woman, she just made a bad call here in my opinion. That bad decision will be confirmed when the kid isn't even here yet by Saturday, our scheduled day to return. She certainly isn't happy by any means that she had to choose to stay back.

All I can do tonight is sit in my room wondering what the other two couples are doing right now. They have probably already eaten a Guy's burger and a chocolate melting cake. Those jerks. Hahah

You are great...wonderful way to vent and good responses. I am with who sad "you're a keeper." In the end the whole thing makes for better and better give and take for you and your wife..sound's like she is a keeper too.

Compromise and wisdom about certain family situations and what they mean to the other; whatever the issue; seem to take the lead in your marriage and that is worth millions in the end. IMHO. Congrats and I am sorry. I missed all of siblings births in my family and am sad about it a bit; but that has nothing to do about what you are doing and yet everything. I did not "compromise" and go there living further away. It was complicated as well; like life. Kudos.

Edited by sjn911

Have you considered calling about your situation again. I was dealing with Customer service on a totally unrelated issue but it took 3 inquires. 2 denials followed by 1 compromise :rolleyes: Now I didn't get exactly what I felt was correct, but I did get satisfaction.

Something would be better than nothing. No refund, but credit (even partial) towards a future cruise would be nice. Some reps are more helpful than others.

I agree here, wonderful remarks.

:D:D Again, your attitude is GREAT!!!!!!

Those damn Guys Burgers.......Get you all the time!!!:D

LOL..It think you said you are a keeper...

So agree OP...they do not cut them out like you much anymore. Giving hurts and is worth it and you know when. It all fine tunes into something better IMHO...when we can not put ourselves first all the time. Even when it is not fair...and has deeper wisdom on the "why" of it.

I hope you end up just loving this baby, I am a great aunt now and it melts me. I just is awesome. And a bit of an epidemic for my group...lol.

Trust me! I'm with you guys here. Maybe I just needed to vent because I didn't want to feel like such an insensitive jerk for wanting to go without my wife :).

Insurance did not cover, and of course carnival is not budging, so a $1300 lesson it is.

I didn't cancel two days ago because contractions started, and I thought "MAYBE WE WILL MAKE IT"

I gambled and lost.

You are NOT being an insensitive jerk, so please don't feel that way! My aunt and uncle missed the birth of their first grandchild because they were on a cruise! Your wife, while showing amazing love and support for her sister, is actually being a little insensitive to YOU (and your bank account), but that's just my opinion.

I think it's a bit ridiculous to even think they should give you anything when you cancel so last minute they definitely cannot fill the room, for a basically foreseeable circumstance that isn't a massive human tragedy. I'm sorry you have to miss your trip (I don't really understand it or why you gambled to the last minute, playing chicken with a pregnancy....that would stress me out to no end! But to each their own).

However, not only isn't it Carnival's fault, but it's pretty ballsy to ask, let alone EXPECT, anyone else give you money to cover what even your "cancel for any reason" trip insurance won't cover because you waited way too long.

I can understand your disappointment, even frustration towards your wife, but I cannot fathom the mindset of "well, they could've helped out". I really can't. Edit - if you'd canceled with time for them to fill the room, obviously, that'd be different! But your trip insurance was good way past that point anyway.

Yes, you gambled and lost. Why hold that against anyone not in on the decision?

Edited by berrieh

Yep, not Carnival's fault. Still can't believe you didn't switch your dates months ago when it was apparent you had time management issues.

Agree. The due date was "today" so it was in the middle of your cruise:eek: I'm beginning to lose sympathy in this whole thing. Also, there's been no mention of a hubby nor a SO. You blame Carnival for not helping you, yet you had insurance that wouldn't help either because it was last minute decision on your part for a non emergency event. You simply chose not to go at the 11th hour. You hoped for a refund or change of dates with no room for Carnival to resell your cabin, so it would have been Carnival's loss.

You would not have enjoyed the cruise anyway with your wife either back home or traveling with you worrying about her sister. Your wife will always appreciate the day you put her needs over money!:D

I have mixed feelings about that. If I worked my butt off for $1500+ and just give it to a cruise line that's making millions and won't bend, and a spouse who is putting others before me, then there's a problem with that for me. What's done is done and no crying over lost money. You may change your mind when you're on a fixed income and there's no way of making that money back. If it were my grand baby (which we have none), I wouldn't have planned a cruise so close to the birth date. But, the OP doesn't have a problem with losing money, so be it. It makes me cringe.:eek:

I can understand you not going without your wife, but I definitely don't see why you would expect Carnival to pick up the loss for your decision to cancel. It's not like a sudden illness - pregnancy is 9 months. We usually cruise in October, but cruised in August since our daughter was pregnant and due in October. I just don't see why the cruise was planned for this time if her intentions were to be there with her sister.

I won't say that either of you were wrong to cancel, but I just don't get why it was planned for the time she was due. (Unless it was booked before her pregnancy.)

Geez people. Coulda shoulda woulda. Whatever. He just wants to vent. I would want to vent too.

Vent away, friend. We (some of us anyway) will empathize and listen. You sound like a good person who's stuck between a rock and a hard place, trying to do the right thing. That's usually a no-win situation.

Vent, vent, vent. :)