Possible Storm Trouble Headed For Miami-Some Tips and Info

This is a really good weather website to view if you want a thorough explanation of current tropical systems. Levi really explains the tropical systems currently being watched, and shows how they could affect us here in Florida (click on the arrow to start):

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/

If I'm worried about a port itinerary change I also like to look at this "Storm Carib" site - it has locals on different islands reporting what tropical conditions they are currently experiencing, with damage reports if they get hit:

http://stormcarib.com/

Interesting links, thank-you.

Forecast for 2PM Sunday morning

two_atl_5d0.png

This is NOT the forecast for Sunday. It is a projection of a POSSIBLE path of the storm. Too far out to know what, if anything is going to happen. At the moment it's still just a blob of weather. Meteorologists here is S FL are stating that Thursday is the day when things get more clear as to what, if anything this storm will do and where it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Of course I hope everyone stays safe. But, just FYI - last year we had an Eastern Caribbean cruise become a Western Caribbean cruise the night prior to sailing. Many did not get or did not read the text or email from RCCL and had no idea of the change until boarding. We had smooth sailing on the new itinerary and as far as I recall, most on board had no issue with the change. I do recall speaking to a family who was on a B2B and were not happy they would visit the same ports twice.

M

This is NOT the forecast for Sunday. It is a projection of a POSSIBLE path of the storm. Too far out to know what, if anything is going to happen. At the moment it's still just a blob of weather. Meteorologists here is S FL are stating that Thursday is the day when things get more clear as to what, if anything this storm will do and where it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Forecast/Outlook/Projection.

It's all the same, forecasts are always changing. Ten different organizations can come up with ten different scenarios.

Charlie was supposed to hit Sarasota. Oops, my bad, said all the experts

My credit card: chase sapphire preferred gives me travel insurance, so no need to actually purchase it. Definitely worth looking into if you don't have a card that gives it to you automatically if you purchase the vacation on the card.

I would never rely on this unless I had a secondary medical and evacuation insurance. It seems to cover the cost of the trip for many, but not all causes, but I don't think it will pay any the crazy cost of medical care, or emergency evac if the need arises. If I am wrong and it does indeed cover medical/evac as well as all lost trip costs, I would look into it. Otherwise I would still get regular trip insurance, or at least a secondary coverage to make sure I was fully protected.

2pm Sunday morning??? Huh

It's a live link, it keeps changing. I tried to adjust, sorry.

Now it is out to 11:35 Monday morning.

BTW, the CC rules say something about not pointing out grammatical errors. ;)

This is a really good weather website to view if you want a thorough explanation of current tropical systems. Levi really explains the tropical systems currently being watched, and shows how they could affect us here in Florida (click on the arrow to start):

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/

If I'm worried about a port itinerary change I also like to look at this "Storm Carib" site - it has locals on different islands reporting what tropical conditions they are currently experiencing, with damage reports if they get hit:

http://stormcarib.com/

Thank you for the links, bookmarked.

I would never rely on this unless I had a secondary medical and evacuation insurance. It seems to cover the cost of the trip for many, but not all causes, but I don't think it will pay any the crazy cost of medical care, or emergency evac if the need arises. If I am wrong and it does indeed cover medical/evac as well as all lost trip costs, I would look into it. Otherwise I would still get regular trip insurance, or at least a secondary coverage to make sure I was fully protected.

We have the same Chase Sapphire Preferred credit card and no, it does not cover medical/evacuation. The new Chase Sapphire Reserve card does, but has a $450 annual fee instead of $95. However, it also provides reimbursement for Global Entry/TSA PreCheck, so we may consider it despite just getting the Preferred in April. The difference is annual fee is more than covered by two individual purchases of 3rd party trip insurance.

A comparison: http://thepointsguy.com/2016/08/chase-sapphire-preferred-vs-chase-sapphire-reserve/

We continue to buy insurance for secondary medical and evacuation coverage.

Good thing, as we spent Saturday evening in a Pediatric ER in San Juan with my son. We spent about $250 on the insurance coverage for our two week vacation (7-day cruise with 3 days in Puerto Rico on either side). Using my regular medical insurance, we had a $225 prescription co-pay and a $175 ER co-pay, which the travel insurance will reimburse, so it more than paid for itself.

Thankfully, we did not have to change our departure date as we still had three days left in San Juan for him to recover. The ER doc did not clear him for flight for 48 hours. Insurance would have taken care of all of the hotel and flight re-arrangements and expenses if we had had to delay our trip home.

And to get back to the original topic, our cruise last summer was re-routed twice due to a hurricane and a tropical storm -- once before departure and again mid-way through the cruise. We rebooked the same cruise for this summer to get the original itinerary. We had great weather all last week and we finally got to St. Lucia.

If the cruise ship leaves a day after the original date do they provide any land accommodation for the night?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why would they provide land accommodation when they own the floating hotel?

We have the same Chase Sapphire Preferred credit card and no, it does not cover medical/evacuation. The new Chase Sapphire Reserve card does, but has a $450 annual fee instead of $95. However, it also provides reimbursement for Global Entry/TSA PreCheck, so we may consider it despite just getting the Preferred in April. The difference is annual fee is more than covered by two individual purchases of 3rd party trip insurance.

A comparison: http://thepointsguy.com/2016/08/chase-sapphire-preferred-vs-chase-sapphire-reserve/

We continue to buy insurance for secondary medical and evacuation coverage.

Good thing, as we spent Saturday evening in a Pediatric ER in San Juan with my son. We spent about $250 on the insurance coverage for our two week vacation (7-day cruise with 3 days in Puerto Rico on either side). Using my regular medical insurance, we had a $225 prescription co-pay and a $175 ER co-pay, which the travel insurance will reimburse, so it more than paid for itself.

I've used the CSP and purchased med/evac only coverage separately for our cruises too. I did have to make a claim once for a weather related delay that kept us in FL an extra day, and was reimbursed with no problem.

I'm really happy that the new Chase Reserved card includes the evac (I'll have to read up on the details) since I just got the card. The bonus is outstanding, but extra travel coverage is just gravy. :D

My credit card: chase sapphire preferred gives me travel insurance, so no need to actually purchase it. Definitely worth looking into if you don't have a card that gives it to you automatically if you purchase the vacation on the card.

We asked about this particular coverage and there is something MAJOR that they don't cover.......might have been medical evac I can't remember. Regardless, after checking, we purchase the insurance! You do have to pay with that card though (as you say)...... Very important!

We asked about this particular coverage and there is something MAJOR that they don't cover.......might have been medical evac I can't remember.

Regardless, after checking, we purchase the insurance! You do have to pay with that card though (as you say)...... Very important!

I agree.

There is a weather disturbance with a 60 percent chance of cyclonic formation by Sunday, headed directly, according to models, for the coast of Florida. http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/gtwo.php

Plan accordingly. This means be flexible, alert, prepared to accept changes.

FYI-there is no compensation, aside from refunds for excursions for cancelled or shifted itineraries, unless the actual cruise is cut short. Then you usually get a discount or future credit towards another cruise, but each line varies.

However if you do nothing but sail around water for seven days, expect to receive only your port fees and excursions refunded because the lines cannot control the weather. This is explicitly stated in your cruise contract. Rather, I would advise to be focused on safe travel arrangements and/or any work schedule concerns delays may create.

For newbies or non-coastal northerners-hurricanes are no joke. You will lose all concern for excursions if you find yourself stuck in one. The travel insurance that we have examined, Berkeley Care I believe, specifically states that if your destination, or route to, is under a severe weather warning, such as flood, ice, or tropical, you are entitled to a refund of the purchased fare if you decide to cancel.

Meaning-if the cruise line declines to cancel the cruise for storm related reasons BEFORE you depart for your trip, but before you depart from your trip the National Weather Service issues a warning, contact your insurer for details about your rights if you decide to cancel. Do not assume the above policy, I only included this information so that you could investigate the possibility, as I would gather each insurer is different. Assume nothing. Protect yourself.

If you did not purchase insurance, what were you thinking? AGTI.

Always Get the Insurance.

Not sometimes.

Always.

Safe travels and happy cruising,

-T

Good tips .