What ended up happening with the "one service a day" issue?

AdoraBelle

[quote=Micah's Grandad

Too many people have commented here to think what we are hearing has no basis in fact.

Basis in fact is no longer the question. What to do is now the question.

Whatever is right for each cruiser is the answer. For me and me alone the answer is half the service, half the grats.

This is just another of Carnival's inconsistencies. There have been many over the years, like, are there ice buckets in the room or not. Gradually they disappeared, but if you asked you got one. Of course, there many more such inconsistencies over the years, that eventually became consistent. I am not bashing. I still like Carnival, and have every intention of sailing on them again some day. Just saying that this is often how changes have been introduced on them in the past, and it is rarely done from one day to the next.

Some things get intro'd on one ship, some on another. It is all very inconsistent though.

This is just another of Carnival's inconsistencies. There have been many over the years, like, are there ice buckets in the room or not. Gradually they disappeared, but if you asked you got one. Of course, there many more such inconsistencies over the years, that eventually became consistent. I am not bashing. I still like Carnival, and have every intention of sailing on them again some day. Just saying that this is often how changes have been introduced on them in the past, and it is rarely done from one day to the next.

Some things get intro'd on one ship, some on another. It is all very inconsistent though.

Those ice buckets, that is quite a cutback. Wait a minute they are still available, just like 2 times a day in the "trial" ships and has never left on the vast majority.

Sent from my iPhone

Those ice buckets, that is quite a cutback. Wait a minute they are still available, just like 2 times a day in the "trial" ships and has never left on the vast majority.

Sent from my iPhone

Jimbo, respectfully, I did not say that it was a cutback, but just that it was an inconsistency. Maybe ice buckets still are the norm in the types of stateroom you book, but for me in interior, or port hole rooms, they have not been evident in my rooms for the last 5 years. Of course, I know that I can ask for one, but the first time cruiser, or second time who has never had one does not.

I am not bashing, just saying that there are things that are inconsistent.

Sent from my iPhone

Most of the people on the "trial ships" have no clue that in the past we always got 2x service so they will pick once. Than Carnival will tell us the vast majority of people want once and that is what we will all get.

Hope I am wrong but dont think so. As I said before we shall see.

Jimbo, respectfully, I did not say that it was a cutback, but just that it was an inconsistency. Maybe ice buckets still are the norm in the types of stateroom you book, but for me in interior, or port hole rooms, they have not been evident in my rooms for the last 5 years. Of course, I know that I can ask for one, but the first time cruiser, or second time who has never had one does not.

I am not bashing, just saying that there are things that are inconsistent.

My bad on the cutback point. But in actuality, I really don't think they were even being inconsistent with that one. What was happening was they were filling ice buckets and nobody was using them. While I have been in some very nice rooms, even when I was in the CS on the Sunshine I did not get one. With any change, cruisers who come along after the change won't know the difference.

They used to scrape crumbs long ago, and have butter in patties, and made a big deal with the baked Alaska, all these are gone because things do change. Cruisers who are new don't know the difference or could care (one might argue the same for this discussion, but that is another topic for another day).

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by jimbo5544

We disembarked the Legend on Tuesday after 17 nights from Honolulu to Sydney and yes, the cabin was serviced only once a day. We had the choice of morning or evening and opted for the morning.

Some people we spoke to insisted on two but one was fine by us. Actually we preferred just the once in the morning and the way our stewards worked, if everyone asked for two they would never have had a moment off.

There were double towels left each day so we never had to re-use a towel when showering twice in the same day.

Ice was never left or offered but it was easy to obtain if needed.

Looking at this from a different direction- why in the world would CCL want to cut staffing that much? The staff in question costs them very little as most of their compensation comes from the gratuities. It makes me wonder if CCL is having a hard time attracting qualified staff? The pool of potential staff members is not as large as many believe it to be, the staff have to be qualified, have to be interested in working months away from home and most importantly have to pass all of the background investigations that are required. Just as passengers have choices about which cruise line to sail with staff members have choices about which cruise line to work with.

So it makes me wonder if this is all being driven by a lack of/inability to attract qualified staff.

Looking at this from a different direction- why in the world would CCL want to cut staffing that much? The staff in question costs them very little as most of their compensation comes from the gratuities. It makes me wonder if CCL is having a hard time attracting qualified staff? The pool of potential staff members is not as large as many believe it to be, the staff have to be qualified, have to be interested in working months away from home and most importantly have to pass all of the background investigations that are required. Just as passengers have choices about which cruise line to sail with staff members have choices about which cruise line to work with.

So it makes me wonder if this is all being driven by a lack of/inability to attract qualified staff.

Replace them with crewmembers in other depts that provide revenue to the cruise line. Would have thought they had enough photogs already but who knows.:eek:

Replace them with crewmembers in other depts that provide revenue to the cruise line. Would have thought they had enough photogs already but who knows.:eek:

The photogs aren't ship's company, they work for an independent contractor but I'm sure if the problem were that easily fixed they would have figured that out. Cruise lines keep building more and bigger ships with larger staffs and the qualified staffing pool is finite.

Carnival needs zero justification from cruisecritic to make any change. If they want to do something they will. If you think they are waiting for people to post here or anywhere else to make a change as opposed to just doing it than I have bridge to sell you.

I have no idea where Holiday Inn fits in to anything. They would never make a comparison like this. Don't believe a word.

They expanded cabin service three years ago and I don't think it has any correlation to the "trial" of once a day.

Sent from my iPhone

I've no idea what Holiday Inn has to do with it either. I've stayed at very lovely boutique hotels that were pretty pricey in NA, Europe, and Asia, and never had twice a day service except on cruise ships and *some* all inclusive resorts. Usually it's needed there and cruises for the towels whereas nice hotels leave more in the first place but asking for extra towels is easy enough.

I was just in a very highly rated, frankly overpriced hotel recently where getting even once a day service was difficult. They would come once and if you were still resting, they did not come back later.

I've no idea what Holiday Inn has to do with it either. I've stayed at very lovely boutique hotels that were pretty pricey in NA, Europe, and Asia, and never had twice a day service except on cruise ships and *some* all inclusive resorts. Usually it's needed there and cruises for the towels whereas nice hotels leave more in the first place but asking for extra towels is easy enough.

I was just in a very highly rated, frankly overpriced hotel recently where getting even once a day service was difficult. They would come once and if you were still resting, they did not come back later.

I've never stayed at a hotel that automatically charged gratuities, either, but if I'm going to be charged for a service then it needs to be provided. (And I will say that if I requested once a day service because it was my personal preference that I would leave the gratuities in place, but imposing once a day service is a different matter.)

Edited by sparks1093

We are all guessing, but I think this was more of a driver of what people wanted then staff reduction. They were/are doing twice a day on cabins with nobody in them. There are some (myself included) who want two times a day, but also possibly as many (see post above) who don't care and in fact prefer once a day.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Looking at this from a different direction- why in the world would CCL want to cut staffing that much? .

Royal is it doing too and have been for a while. They have cut cabin attendant positions and doubled the work on them and bar server positions have been cut big time. Im sure in other areas too. Gone are the days of being asked if you need a drink every 10 minutes by the pool. Now you are lucky to see a server in hours.

I think they all are doing it besides maybe Disney (maybe they even are too) but I dont consider Disney mass market. I have asked myself the same question. Service staff cost them what? 100.00 a month per crew member? Thats how bad the bean counters at most all mass market lines have gotten over the past few years. Pinching every place they can. I get it though. See how far you can cut and make the most you can for your company and stockholders. At some point people are gonna say enough is enough though.

Edited by ryano

Royal is it doing too and have been for a while. They have cut cabin attendant positions and doubled the work on them and bar server positions have been cut big time. Im sure in other areas too. Gone are the days of being asked if you need a drink every 10 minutes by the pool. Now you are lucky to see a server in hours.

I think they all are doing it besides maybe Disney (maybe they even are too) but I dont consider Disney mass market. I have asked myself the same question. Service staff cost them what? 100.00 a month per crew member? Thats how bad the bean counters at most all mass market lines have gotten over the past few years. Pinching every place they can. I get it though. See how far you can cut and make the most you can for your company and stockholders. At some point people are gonna say enough is enough though.

Which makes sense since they are all drawing from the same limited pool of potential staff. It's not like they can call Adecco if they run short.

I've read more than once the rumor that while they are giving the Head Room Steward more rooms they are also giving them more assistants. I tend to believe this is what it is coming to. I don't think they will eliminate 2x a day completely but I do think it will be an unadvertised option, like the ice bucket, only given upon request by those in the know. I think this is just a reallocation of man power probably in part due to what you stated about getting qualified staff to be Head Stewards and also fueled, as a result of the consultants report, by what their target market, new cruisers, will support as a cost/time saving measure.

We're just off a back to back on the Sunshine; with different cabins for each leg and different cabin stewards. We had morning and evening service every day in each of our two cabins, and a full ice bucket twice a day. These two cabin stewards were exceptional, among the best we have had in our 35 cruises!