Ice Ice baby!

helpthejuggler

How can you make a blanket statement like that? Many North Americans, myself included, are first and second generation folks who grew up without the utensil/hand switching. And if you think later generations all switch utensils/hand, you need to have dinner in a college food service facility.

Sorry you took offense, none was intended.

I was just trying to explain the comment made earlier. The switching of cutlery/hands is identified as an American trait but no where did I say all Americans did it. I saw the wisdom of the "European" method on that trip to South America and never reverted back but I'm married to a first generation Italian American who was brought up "Americanized" and switches even though he has lived much of his adult life in Europe.

It really is no big deal.

I read that many people ask their steward for ice to be in their room. We only ask for an ice bucket when we have a bottle of wine to chill Is everyone else drinking much more wine than we do?

What on earth is everyone using all this ice for?

We don't ask the steward for ice since filling the ice bucket twice a day is part of his job description, at least on all the ships we've cruised on. We often use it to put ice cubes in a glass of water for drinking. We even drink the melted ice, especially first thing in morning.

We also sometimes use it on a washcloth to cool off after a hot day in port.

Edited by NMLady

We don't ask the steward for ice since filling the ice bucket twice a day is part of his job description, at least on all the ships we've cruised on. We often use it to put ice cubes in a glass of water for drinking. We even drink the melted ice, especially first thing in morning.

We also sometimes use it on a washcloth to cool off after a hot day in port.

On RC ships the steward will happily provide ice; normally twice daily. However, it is not automatic. You do need to ask your steward when he/she first introduces themselves. It is part of their job description, but not done unless you ask. RC changed this a few years ago.

Best line I ever heard on a cruise came from one of our Slovenian Cruise Managers on a small (50 pax) ship. As she was orienting us to where things were on the ship and what to expect on the cruise she pointed out the ice machine. "I don't understand you Americans and ice. Do you go to your cabins and build igloos?"

We have our cabin steward fill our ice container -- different than an ice bucket that you but bottles of wine in to get chilled -- at least twice a day.

Okay, ice container. Do they clean the ice container in between cruises :confused:

I read that many people ask their steward for ice to be in their room. We only ask for an ice bucket when we have a bottle of wine to chill Is everyone else drinking much more wine than we do?

What on earth is everyone using all this ice for?

I always take a cooler with me, and I ask my steward to keep it filled with ice.

I also get the drinks package. And when I pass a bar on my way back to my cabin, I always grab an unopened beer, and in it goes to my cooler.

And if I want a glass of ice water any time, right there.

......... utensil/hand switching.......

I have never seen a post on "utensil/hand switching" :), so refreshing to see something new rather than the tiresome tipping, smoking, chairhogs, bottled water ...............

I think someone should begin a new thread for this one.

I have never seen a post on "utensil/hand switching" :), so refreshing to see something new rather than the tiresome tipping, smoking, chairhogs, bottled water ...............

I think someone should begin a new thread for this one.

Only if you link the video from above and ask if it is classy ;)

Americans switch the hands holding the fork and knife during cutting versus eating. Europeans (and South Americans where I first saw it almost 50 years ago) don't change hands/cutlery when cutting and eating. See this you tube:

I live in Canada and everyone I know uses the "European" way of eating with a knife and fork.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Do they clean the ice container in between cruises :confused:

We can hope they run them through the dishwasher between uses like they clean the glasses, plates and cutlery. However, I read or heard once of someone who threw up into an ice bucket once (sorry!) so I am glad when hotels provide the plastic liner.

We can hope they run them through the dishwasher between uses like they clean the glasses, plates and cutlery. However, I read or heard once of someone who threw up into an ice bucket once (sorry!) so I am glad when hotels provide the plastic liner.

One would hope :eek:

Best line I ever heard on a cruise came from one of our Slovenian Cruise Managers on a small (50 pax) ship. As she was orienting us to where things were on the ship and what to expect on the cruise she pointed out the ice machine. "I don't understand you Americans and ice. Do you go to your cabins and build igloos?"

Funniest thing I have read in a long time.

[quote name='donaldsc']If you go to a European European restaurant as opposed to an American European restaurant, you may if you are lucky get 2 ice cubes. Or else you have to ask for ice in your drink. In the states, your drink is half ice.

DON[/QUOTE]

Yes, this! I ordered a Margarita on the rocks in Germany once, and it arrived with one lonely cube. It was a good drink, but we've laughed at the single "rock" ever since lol. Soft drinks weren't served over ice, but were still cold, we assumed their dispenser setup was different than in the US.