Staying in contact with kids onboard Escape

toddcl

Sailing with wife and two teenage boys. My question is how do you stay in contact while onboard with them? Do we all have to purchase Internet plan? Seems pricey at $30 per day for Internet. Is there a texting plan? Two way radios?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There's an app for that! Its call IConceirge. I think its $9.95 per phone now. (it was $7.95 when we went in March) But you can text using that app with people that are on the ship. Sometimes the service is hit and miss but it worked with my 11 year old well when he waned to hit the arcade etc.

You have a couple options.

The iConcierge app on your smartphones (assuming everybody brings one) does not require the purchase of an internet plan however NCL charges $10 per person for the entire cruise for texting/calling to other iConcierge users on your cruise. I have had fair results with the app, others have mixed experiences with this method. The app seems to require frequent re-starts and msgs are often delayed but it was good enough in most cases for us.

2-way FRS radios are another option.

Personally, I'd make sure you have waterproof phones;) Teens having fun on water slides, in pools and hot tubs often times don't think about the water resistance of their phone before they jump in. Perhaps a set of hand held radios might be the answer.:)

We used it on the GA and loved it. I know my teens would never ever carry walkie talkies. Plus the ship is so big, the signal may not carry or you will get other people's chatter. Restarting the app is simple. There are flaws but nothing you can't over come.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Cruiser Who Knows Nothing

Personally, I'd make sure you have waterproof phones;) Teens having fun on water slides, in pools and hot tubs often times don't think about the water resistance of their phone before they jump in. Perhaps a set of hand held radios might be the answer.:)

My son was 11 when went. He had set instructions when he was off on his own. We didn't have a problem or concern with that. Of course he is pretty much afraid of getting in trouble with anyone. LOL

I don't think he would carry a hand held radio. Plus he liked taking pictures with his phone. Plus then I would have to carry one, and I would hate that. :)

Edited by packer99

We had a terrible time on the getaway with the messaging app with 6 of us in 3 cabins. Messages would show up hours later, kind of pointless when you're trying to find someone. And forget the phone feature. We were in haven so that phone worked great on the entire ship.

We have done the radios on the Allure and Oasis and they worked just fine and they are bigger ships than anyones. But that was without kids so I just tossed my radio in beach bag and hubby threw his in pocket and we were able to find each other. My kids used radios back in the day at disney but not sure if you could get a kid to carry a radio now. It might be like me asking you to scrap your phone and go back to a cb radio:D:D:D:D

You can "keep in contact" without electronic devices...it's called TALKING to the others in your party! AT meals, find out everyone's plans for the next several hours. I would rather the kids come and find me IN PERSON, than relying on a text or call...it's good to actually SEE them! If their plans change, they should find you and let you know!

No one wants to lug around walkie talkies, and many folks just lock the phones in the safe for the duration of the cruise.

You can "keep in contact" without electronic devices...it's called TALKING to the others in your party! AT meals, find out everyone's plans for the next several hours. .

Oh no! This is a TOTALLY unreasonable idea. Probably even more unreasonable than walking to where someone will be to talk with them.

I recommend walkie-talkies. My husband and I used them, so we could touch base when I was with the kids and he was off exploring or relaxing. They can even work a fair distance, should one person be on the ship and the other in town.

You get some that look pretty awesome.

Get everyone the iConcierge app and register on the first day. You might have to wait until just after departure for the guest number to be recognized. Basically, it's you stateroom + 01, 02, 03, 04 etc.

But keep in mind, they'll never be more then 500ft away.

I recommend walkie-talkies. My husband and I used them, so we could touch base when I was with the kids and he was off exploring or relaxing. They can even work a fair distance, should one person be on the ship and the other in town.

They are also very disturbing for those around you.

We locked our phones in the safe. We used discussion to share plans in AM and agreed on meet ups. We also used a notepad on the wall of cabin. In fact just reminded myself to pack it, thanks for the thread. We have a 14yo with us. He spent his time away from us in Entourage or on basketball court and really had a blast.

Semaphore flags are more effective and will anger fewer neighbors.

You can "keep in contact" without electronic devices...it's called TALKING to the others in your party! AT meals, find out everyone's plans for the next several hours. I would rather the kids come and find me IN PERSON, than relying on a text or call...it's good to actually SEE them! If their plans change, they should find you and let you know!

No one wants to lug around walkie talkies, and many folks just lock the phones in the safe for the duration of the cruise.

Easier said than done on the big ships if both people are moving. I have walked around for over an hour looking for my hubby, while he was walking around looking for me. If you say you're going to flow rider and then the line is an hour and you decide to go to the gym, it is nice to be able to answer a quick call. We have been cruising a long time and are pretty active wanderers who do not spend much time in the room. So a device is helpful, it has nothing to do with not communicating with each other. Back in the day, the ships were smaller and easier to find people, not so much the case now.