Upsell! Upsell! Upsell!

jollyrhino

I think they must already know us when we take a cruise...our last cruise our on board bill was $0.00.

I usually politely tell the first couple of specialty restaurant sellers no thank you...but after that I just walk past them...You just can't hesitate while you are walking...they can see fear in your eyes and are then ready to pounce.

That's a start, our total of all our last seven cruises is $9. We had some Celebrity obc and we went over. When they start charging a fair price for their onboard activities and merchandise, we'll start spending. Before this cost cutting measure went into affect, we'd spend about $300 a week.

That's a start, our total of all our last seven cruises is $9. We had some Celebrity obc and we went over. When they start charging a fair price for their onboard activities and merchandise, we'll start spending. Before this cost cutting measure went into affect, we'd spend about $300 a week.

That cruise we did a "no perks included" rate...Had 2 drinks each night at the Elite party and that was enough for us.

Next cruise is a little different...Have some OBC.

I am going to bet that you have never been on a cruise where this is a problem for you to say that.

We've been on over 20 Celebrity cruises. The vast majority (especially in years past) I would have said exactly what you said.

However, there have been a couple, which some have related above, that it is a real problem. Have you come out of the Celebrity theater when 6 or 7 salespeople are waiting for you, basically in both aisles, huckstering their goods? Honestly, they make the photographers on the gangway look like total rank amateurs. You either alter your path (they won't move) or listen to their spiel. Have you been at the Elite Captains Club evening event, in mid-conversation, when you are interrupted for a sales pitch for a Specialty Restaurant?

I really do think that it has to do with the quality--and ability--of the marketing manager onboard. A capable one, who can motivate the troops, no problem. A ham-handed one, who has the employees cowering in fear (and we've had more than one that has told us that happened), and you get the total disregard for the pax experience. There, it is all about the numbers, not satisfaction of the guest.

Five or Twnty Five, it simply doesn't matter. The ships hawk their goods & services. I literally smile, nod and keep walking. The poster that stated earlier, "No Thank You. Can you get me a cup of coffee?" This poster gets it and knows how to handle it.

Edited by Goodtime Cruizin

[quote name='Goodtime Cruizin']Five or Twnty Five, it simply doesn't matter. The ships hawk their goods & services. I literally smile, nod and keep walking. The poster that stated earlier, "No Thank You. Can you get me a cup of coffee?" This poster gets it and knows how to handle it.[/QUOTE]

Please read the post before you chime in.

I said the majority of the cruises a simple "no thank you" would be enough. On a handful, they were far more aggressive. Your post verifies that you never have encountered it.