Delta Sky Club Enlighten Me!

SCHappilyRetired

Just came into Atlanta via first class. I had 3 hours layover before ending my travel for the day at JFK yesterday. Tonight we are leaving for Paris, Delta One class. I have been enrolled in their FF program for years (for better or worst) and carry a Delta Amex card. When DH and I approached one of their sky clubs to relax for the layover time, I was told we could not use their club, only for International flights, not domestic. It was 7:20 am at this point. While I knew this, I did think as a FF member and Delta Amex card hold that would get me in.

Enlighten me please.

Oops...yes she let me in when she saw my next flight was international and Delta One

Edited by SCHappilyRetired

Sky Club (formerly Crown Club) was conceived like most airlines clubs as a paid only membership -- individual rate is now $450 per year. Over the years they added access for SAME DAY international business and first fliers. I got mine many years ago via PAN AM for $500 lifetime.

Domestic fliers were never included. You can now buy a one time access.

If you had an AMEX Platinum -- that would also allow entry. But FF and Delta Amex is a non starter.

Edited by PaulMCO

Sky Club (formerly Crown Club) was conceived like most airlines clubs as a paid only membership -- individual rate is now $450 per year. Over the years they added access for SAME DAY international business and first fliers. I got mine many years ago via PAN AM for $500 lifetime.

Domestic fliers were never included. You can now buy a one time access.

If you had an AMEX Platinum -- that would also allow entry. But FF and Delta Amex is a non starter.

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

If you are flying Delta One on a return from Paris (or other European gateways), you should have access to Air France or KLM lounges. On this page, you can filter access for "Delta One or Sky Team Premium Cabin Passenger". It is flying international business that is the key to your accessibility to lounges. You can see on the left column the multiple categories of accessibility for the multiple locations.

Just a quick clarification on a couple of points:

1) It is the Amex Platinum CHARGE card that gives you free access, not the Delta Amex Platinum CREDIT card. Guests though are paid access.

2) There is one Delta CREDIT card that gets you free access - the Delta Reserve card. Guests though are paid access. DL Gold and Platinum Amex CREDIT get a discount on entry cost, not free.

3) If you are in first class (Delta One) between JFK-LAX and JFK-SFO, you get access. (Only pure-domestic routes that grant access)

4) If you are SkyTeam Elite Plus, you get access on international itineraries in all classes, including connecting flights.

4) If you are SkyTeam Elite Plus, you get access on international itineraries in all classes, including connecting flights.

But do be careful what Delta considers "international" :D

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/skymiles/medallion-program/medallion-benefits/skyteam-benefits.html

(7) For members traveling in Main Cabin, excludes travel to/from the Caribbean, Guam and Saipan.

I did think as a FF member and Delta Amex card hold that would get me in.

Enlighten me please.

No. As someone said, the DELTA amex, even if it's the Delta platinum Amex, doesn't get you in. Only the Delta reserve card will. Frequent flyers who are gold medallion or higher can access the club when flying transoceanic, even when coach. Silver medallion and general Sky Miles members cannot.

I'm a little confused though; where were you trying to enter the club? In ATL during the 3 hours between arriving there and departing to JFK? Where had you arrived from when you got to ATL? Were you on a Delta One flight? It sound like you were not entitled to access, but because you were flying Delta One the NEXT DAY they let you in, which is not policy. If that's what happened, someone bent a rule for you, and it's unlikely it would happen again.

Never being in the lounge, what is in it? I assume a bar of some type?

Delta Sky Clubs have a complimentary bar, (plus some premium bar offerings that you can pay for). They also offer (all complimentary) coffee/espresso machines, snacks/light meals, wi-fi, restrooms, newspapers, and flight assistance. The clubs are complimentary for Diamond medallion members, Delta One pax, Gold and Platinum medallion and Sky Team Elite+ members traveling on transcontinental flights, and certain credit card holders.