One Month Left on Passport - Do we need to Renew ?

jasmith52

The first sign on to Princess website after booking a transatlantic said in no uncertain terms that the passport must be valid for six months after the cruise. It also said this when I booked two cruised for this year, one of them a 10-day cruise to Mexico.

My advice to the OP is to check the requirements on the Princess website. Don't listen to opinions on Cruise Critic. It would be rather unpleasant to find yourself denied boarding because the passport was not going to be valid.

I agree, it's not unusual for a cruise line to have stricter requirements than the law in respect to passport requirements.

However, as posted by fishywood (from the Princess website):

US and Canadian passport holders sailing on a domestic cruise should ensure passports or other travel documents are valid through the completion of travel.

And I find this on the Princess website:

Although US and Canadian passport holders are not currently required to sail with a passport on most domestic itineraries (including Alaska, Bermuda, Canada, Caribbean, Hawaii, and Mexico and Panama Canal), Princess highly recommends they are carried.

http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/prepare.jsp

Nowhere there does it say "must be valid for 6 months after cruise".

Check with the cruise line, but the general rule is 6 months past the end of the cruise.

Have you read this whole thread?

OP is a US citizen. The cruise is a Hawaii cruise with only one foreign port (Mexico). Mexico does not have a minimum validity period for US passports for entry to Mexico. The US only requires that the passport be valid on the day it's used to re-enter the US.

While some cruise lines may have stricter requirements, it appears (from information on the Princess website) that a US citizen only needs to have "travel documents" that are valid through the "completion of travel" for this cruise.

Again, the "6 months remaining" requirement is not a set in concrete requirement. There are some countries that require that. This particular instance it's not required.

OP is a US citizen. The cruise is a Hawaii cruise with only one foreign port (Mexico). Mexico does not have a minimum validity period for US passports for entry to Mexico. The US only requires that the passport be valid on the day it's used to re-enter the US.

While some cruise lines may have stricter requirements, it appears (from information on the Princess website) that a US citizen only needs to have "travel documents" that are valid through the "completion of travel" for this cruise.

Again, the "6 months remaining" requirement is not a set in concrete requirement. There are some countries that require that. This particular instance it's not required.

And, as others have pointed out, the cruise may be taken by US citizens without any passport at all, just a certified birth certificate and a government issued picture ID.

They're porting in Ensenada, Mexico for a mandatory stop. Usually three to five hours. FWIW Ensenada is a four hour car ride to the Port of Los Angeles. About 75 miles south of San Diego.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Yes. Mexico and the US. VALID passports are the requirement (actually even less than that). What OTHER country would they unexpectedly port in?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by denatravels

You'll be stopping in Ensenada Mexico. I never can understand why people delay the obvious. All I can say at this point is make sure your insurance is paid up(if you bothered getting it)& hope for the best. If it all falls apart, please yell your outrage into the nearest mirror!

Ok, I am viewing this from a European point of view, but I can't understand what the timing Issue is.

My perception is that US citizens are nowadays much more widely travelled and the days, albeit not that long ago, when only one in ten US citizen had a passport are now long gone.

OK being such a large country, you have probably not got to the stage the rest of the developed world has where something like nine out of ten people have a passport, but I would have expected that, once someone has the travel bug and got their first passport, they will automatically renew their passport, even if they have not got a trip planned, simply because they realise that having a passport ready to hand is useful and the whole thing just becomes a timing issue.

For us, this timing issue doesn't exist as we can apply for our passport to be renewed up to nine months before it is due to expire and, provided the returned passport has not been damaged or the old passport has been lost, our new passport will be issued with an expiry date which is ten years after the expiry date of the returned passport, meaning there is no penalty for renewing early.

Are you saying you don't have a similar arrangement for early renewal in the USA?

Ok, I am viewing this from a European point of view, but I can't understand what the timing Issue is.

My perception is that US citizens are nowadays much more widely travelled and the days, albeit not that long ago, when only one in ten US citizen had a passport are now long gone.

OK being such a large country, you have probably not got to the stage the rest of the developed world has where something like nine out of ten people have a passport, but I would have expected that, once someone has the travel bug and got their first passport, they will automatically renew their passport, even if they have not got a trip planned, simply because they realise that having a passport ready to hand is useful and the whole thing just becomes a timing issue.

For us, this timing issue doesn't exist as we can apply for our passport to be renewed up to nine months before it is due to expire and, provided the returned passport has not been damaged or the old passport has been lost, our new passport will be issued with an expiry date which is ten years after the expiry date of the returned passport, meaning there is no penalty for renewing early.

Are you saying you don't have a similar arrangement for early renewal in the USA?

You can renew at any time. But the new expiration date will be 10 years from the date of the new(renewal) passport's issue date.

If you renew before your passport actually expires, you lose whatever time you may have remaining.

But, currently, Mexico isn't one of those countries. There is no minimum validity period on US passports when visiting Mexico.

Most countries especially those in the Caribbean, Mexico, Columbia, Dominica Republic etc. do not require visas for a tourist visit if the stay is under anywhere from 30 to 90 days. The general rule is if a visa is not required then the 6 month rule on the passport is waived. All that is required is the passport to be valid for the duration of the stay.

In this case it only needs to be valid upon entry back to the USA

Take care,

Vinnie

Just dealt with this issue within the last month and again at the end of last year. Follow the travel.state.gov website guidelines as well as those on Princess. Do not necessarily believe that the rep on the other end of the phone will have the right answer. I can tell you from recent experience that since this is a closed loop cruise, you will have no trouble with your current passport. Since Ensenada is really close to the US border, your only issue would be if you had to fly back into the US from Mexico ... but what are the chances of that happening? You could always do an taxi (or ambulance, God forbid) back if that would occur ... would probably be faster anyway. And you could fly back from Hawaii without a passport if such an emergency occurred.

So, to answer your question without interjecting any other opinions on getting a new one or not getting a new one, as everyone's situation is different, you do not need to renew it before the cruise if you choose not to. Simply read the cruiseline's requirement page to see for yourself.

Why would they have a problem flying back to the United States with a valid passport???

Take care,

Vinnie

Yes, it should be good for at least 6 months. Why risk being left behind

They won't get left behind because the the passport does not need to be valid for six months to go to Mexico.

Mexico does not require a visa for stays under 180 days.

This is a closed loop cruise that can be taken with a birth certificate and a government issued Id. Obviously the OP has a birth certificate that was used to obtain the passport if they are worried just take that then the passport becomes the government id with a birth certificate to fulfill the requirements to cruise but it's not necessary.

Take care,

Vinnie

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Then, pray tell why Princess put it up when I signed into my booking in Mexico. It very clearly said passports had to be valid for six months after the cruise. . .two domestic cruises, Pacific Wine Country and following cruise to Baja.

Frankly, I'll take Princess' advice over that of someone on Cruise Critic who thinks he or she is an expert. It only makes sense when travel involves significant expense.

Then, pray tell why Princess put it up when I signed into my booking in Mexico. It very clearly said passports had to be valid for six months after the cruise. . .two domestic cruises, Pacific Wine Country and following cruise to Baja.

Frankly, I'll take Princess' advice over that of someone on Cruise Critic who thinks he or she is an expert. It only makes sense when travel involves significant expense.

Our history with Princess and their Visa/Passport advice leaves much to be desired. But that is history. The reality is that you do not even need a Passport to take a closed loop cruise (that includes Mexico and most of the Caribbean islands)...so Princess saying you need 6 months remaining on a Passport is just silly...in this case. Many travel companies (including some cruise lines) simply put the 6 month "requirement" in their language because it essentially covers the world....and they can use it as generic language. So my advice is similar to what somebody else suggested. If you are going to fret over the issue, take your Passport (with less then 6 remaining months) and also bring your birth certificate. If anyone at Princess gives you a hard time about your Passport...just put it in your pocket and pull out your BC.

On the other hand,,,if you are going to lose sleep over the entire issue...simply renew your Passport NOW!

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

• 3 weeks later...
I will be doing a Hawaiian cruise this year. My passport at that time expires a month or so after the cruise ends.

Do we need to renew it so that I have more than 6 months. Or can I go with what I have ? We are US citizens.

Does anyone know for sure ?

So just a footnote to this thread if anyone but myself is interested ...

I decided to renew my passport after all, even though I technically didn't have to. I mailed the application on Wed September 7th and received it exactly two weeks later on September 21. This was a "normal" priority application - there was no "rush" fee paid.

They say it takes 4 to 6 weeks but I got mine in two.

So just a footnote to this thread if anyone but myself is interested ...

I decided to renew my passport after all, even though I technically didn't have to. I mailed the application on Wed September 7th and received it exactly two weeks later on September 21. This was a "normal" priority application - there was no "rush" fee paid.

They say it takes 4 to 6 weeks but I got mine in two.

Nice to know. At least you won't worry about your passport in your travels for the next 10 years.

I will be doing a Hawaiian cruise this year. My passport at that time expires a month or so after the cruise ends.

Do we need to renew it so that I have more than 6 months. Or can I go with what I have ? We are US citizens.

Does anyone know for sure ?

Just get it renewed now.

Just get it renewed now.

I guess you're replying to the original post from last month. You obviously didn't read the last post from OP who came back and said they renewed their passport and got it back in two weeks. Oh well, you did increase your post count by one (as did I). :D

Edited by beg3yrs

Passports are being processed fast right now. Got mine back in 13 days, door to door, non expedited at the end of July.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I had the same experience! Had to renew mine to get my name changed, and it was processed and sent back to me in less than two weeks. That was without expedited as well. I even had goofed and tried to reuse the old photo because I missed where it said you have to send one in that is recent. So they sent everything back to me. Which was great because my old photo was terrible!

Also if anyone needs good passport photos, go to Costco! It was only $5 and they had them printed out in 10 mins. Totally worth it.

Edited by CallistaSkye