Brazilian visas-caveat emptor

troubleclef

We have found ourselves in an odd situation - and not in a good way. Just booked a great fare on a cruise to Brazil, leaving the end of November. By the time we booked, it was no longer an option to use Oceania's visa service, as it was less than 90 days out from the sail date.

We immediately started the visa process, using an expediter who has good reviews and was recommended to us. But with this strike, who knows if the visa will be issued in time. Meanwhile, our passports are with the expediter, who told us to expect the visas by the second week of October.

Since the cruise is paid for, as well as our own airfare, we will be out a significant amount of money should we be unable to get the visas/passports back in time.

I understand that there have been numerous and similar strikes in the past - does anyone have any information as to how long these strikes have lasted in the past?

There have been past strikes in 2014 and 2015. In 2014 it was a 2 days and the one in 2015 lasted a couple of weeks. This one started on 22 August. There is no pressure to settle as Brazil granted US tourists visa free entry until 18 Sept.

Most visa services are very well attuned to the time period needed. They are there every day. Some consulates are effected more than others -- they are still issuing visas just more slowly.

I understand the need for driver's license to prove residence but why do they need to know where one's parents were born - what possible difference does it make? :confused:

What if my parents were born in Austro-Hungarian Empire pre WW I? Would that disqualify me from getting a Brazilian visa? :D

I don't think this is an uncommon info request for any visa - for India we had to identify all our parents' names and birthplaces. In addition, we had to declare a religion from a menu provided on the form. Ended up checking one off, although I am not a believer, because there was no option for that, and it was a "required field."

rubysue, I completely understand how you feel and what you are going through. As of September 13, 2016 the Brazilian Consulate Vancouver advised that it will be 30 days before my visa will be completed. I have surrendered my passport and have given the visa service instructions a deadline when to pull my passport.

Hopefully, I will be able to travel. As an aside, I have to say that my pleasure from anticipating my cruise has been vastly diminished. I am optimistic though that once I am on board I will forget all the angst associated with this process.

Lyn asked, "What if you do not know one parent never mind where they were born?" There is the option on the Brazilian visa application to indicate that information is not known. They ask the questions of parents birth dates, etc., but it is not a required field. You just fill in what you know or check the box that says "unknown."

I thought with Brazil the Visa had to be validated in Brazil within 90 days of the date of issue ??

Is it different now ?

This isn't true, is it? We have visas issued in 2011 and valid for 10 years. We're planning to use them to travel there in Feb. I was taken aback by this comment since I know obtaining visas (it's not just Brazil) can be a hassle and time consuming and besides we're going to Europe in Oct./Nov. and will need our passports. Any truth to the 90 day thing? thanx

This isn't true, is it? We have visas issued in 2011 and valid for 10 years. We're planning to use them to travel there in Feb. I was taken aback by this comment since I know obtaining visas (it's not just Brazil) can be a hassle and time consuming and besides we're going to Europe in Oct./Nov. and will need our passports. Any truth to the 90 day thing? thanx
Yes, it's true if you are a citizen of one of the countries applicable to that rule.

From Brazilian Consulate in Washington, DC (last bullet under item #1):

Citizens of the following countries must enter Brazil within 90 days from the date the visa has been issued: Angola, Bahrain, Cambodia, Cape Verde, China, Cuba, Equatorial Guinea, Gabon, Ghana, Greece, Honduras, India, Indonesia, Japan, Jordan, Kazakstan, Kuwait, Laos, Libya, Myanmar, Nigeria, Oman, Pakistan, Paraguay, Philippines, Portugal, Qatar, Sao Tome and Principe, Saudi Arabia, South Korea, Switzerland, Syria, Taiwan, Thailand and Tunisia. The visa will be considered void if the holder does not enter Brazilian territory within the above-mentioned time frame.

So you got the VISA in 2011 but never went to Brazil is that what you are saying??

Lyn asked, "What if you do not know one parent never mind where they were born?" There is the option on the Brazilian visa application to indicate that information is not known. They ask the questions of parents birth dates, etc., but it is not a required field. You just fill in what you know or check the box that says "unknown."

Thanks

I have never gone anywhere where I had to9 get a VISA in advance

I understand the need for driver's license to prove residence but why do they need to know where one's parents were born - what possible difference does it make? :confused:

What if my parents were born in Austro-Hungarian Empire pre WW I? Would that disqualify me from getting a Brazilian visa? :D

Take a look at a US Visa form. Same question place of birth of both mother and father. It is about background. Try getting an India Visa if you have a parent born in Karachi.

My father was born in Turkish territory that is now Greece. He has always listed his birthplace as Greece.

Take a look at a US Visa form. Same question place of birth of both mother and father. It is about background. Try getting an India Visa if you have a parent born in Karachi.

My father was born in Turkish territory that is now Greece. He has always listed his birthplace as Greece.

(underlining mine)

Exactly! Why would you put Karachi on Indian visa application even if that was the case - do you really think they will investigate where he was born?

If you can put there anything you wish (like your father) - even "not known" in some cases - then why even bother asking for that info? :)

Also, US (and Israel among others) have obviously much better reasons to investigate visitors' background than, say, Brazil. Brazil does this as a reprisal to strict US immigration policies - not so much for for their own security. US is most concerned about potential terrorism and security.

However, we have to follow every government's policies, even if they don't always make much sense (like why does one need to be married to visit Saudi Arabia as a tourist). :)

JMO.

Edited by Paulchili

Thanks for all of the comments. Let me respond by saying that my veteran TA, with a long-established agency and huge Oceania business (among other cruise lines), processes many Visas every year. The agency uses CIBT for visa processing and they have a 25-year partnership with the CIBT in Houston and other consulate/embassy locations. The CIBT representative in Houston said that the Brazilian consulate representatives are changing the rules on the fly. Today, we took more passport photos because they didn't like the ones that were only 6-8 months old (taken for our passport renewal). They claim this is the last impediment to our Visa processing, so they will be FedExed tomorrow.

I also understand that some rules are necessary, but some of these rules are arbitrary. I also understand that our benighted country is the worst, hearing from my DH who has many friends in countries that are under the scrutiny of the Visa process for the US (while we have porous borders - go figure).

I sincerely hope troubleclef (new to CC) will be able to get their information processed in time.

So you got the VISA in 2011 but never went to Brazil is that what you are saying??

We used the visa. I don't understand the point of your question. Hopefully, you're not suggesting it may be a single entry visa. I've heard some countries have single entry visas, but no mention of this is made on the visa. thanx

We used the visa. I don't understand the point of your question. Hopefully, you're not suggesting it may be a single entry visa. I've heard some countries have single entry visas, but no mention of this is made on the visa. thanx

read your post

This isn't true, is it? We have visas issued in 2011 and valid for 10 years. We're planning to use them to travel there in Feb. I was taken aback by this comment

I am suggesting nothing you said yours was valid for 10yrs then questioned if the 90 day rule applied

You obviously validated it if you have used the VISA already

Thanks for all of the comments. Let me respond by saying that my veteran TA, with a long-established agency and huge Oceania business (among other cruise lines), processes many Visas every year. The agency uses CIBT for visa processing and they have a 25-year partnership with the CIBT in Houston and other consulate/embassy locations. The CIBT representative in Houston said that the Brazilian consulate representatives are changing the rules on the fly. Today, we took more passport photos because they didn't like the ones that were only 6-8 months old (taken for our passport renewal). They claim this is the last impediment to our Visa processing, so they will be FedExed tomorrow.

I also understand that some rules are necessary, but some of these rules are arbitrary. I also understand that our benighted country is the worst, hearing from my DH who has many friends in countries that are under the scrutiny of the Visa process for the US (while we have porous borders - go figure).

I sincerely hope troubleclef (new to CC) will be able to get their information processed in time.

That photo rule is NOT arbitrary. VISA photos must be taken within 6 months for most countries. People generally get away with it. But NEVER use the same photo as your passport -- it just highlights the date. CIBT's own instructions say 3 months.

First you have to find which consulate handles New Mexico as Brazil requires you to go to the consulate for your state and no other. Then read the requirements for that specific consulate. We live in Houston and at least 3 years ago it was easy. Don't know how Houston is these days. Each consulate has their own different rules. Just checked and Houston is the consulate for New Mexico. Also make sure you go to the correct website. There are similar sites but you need the real one for Houston. Houston.itamaraty.gov.br/en-us

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Hi RubySue, I'm a long time CC and I have over 50+ cruises under my belt. Mostly with HAL. On 8/12/16, I booked my 1st Oceania cruise, Rainforests and Rivers that departs 11/29/16. I called Oceania directly to get information and subsequently booked the cruise via an Oceania/Regent Cruise Rep. Not having a Brazilian Visa, he told us that the visa should take 2 weeks. We paid for the cruise 100% which was due within a couple weeks of our booking while we meantime worked on our visa process obtaining new photos to upload and include with our Brazilian visa application. Because Oceania's partner, Visa Central told us that they couldn't process our visa until mid to late-Dec (weeks after cruise departure) we decided to complete the visa ourselves. The earliest visa appt at the SF Brazilian Consulate for two people is Oct 31 (less than a month before the cruise). Feeling very anxious about the window with no time for error, we contacted the Oceania rep. At first he told us that they would consider refunding us the 25% and allowing us to apply the 75% cancellation penalty towards other Oceania cruises, he now seems to be dancing around telling us we can only apply a portion of the 75% cancellation penalty to another cruise and the remainder will be forfeited entirely. Can you recommend an escalation process with Oceania? The clock is ticking and we will be at the 100% cancellation penalty in less than 2 weeks. My hope is this first experience with Oceania is not my last one. I'm an early retiree with at least 50 more cruises to go! Thanks in advance for advice on the most efficient escalation process.

Edited by trishbk

Hi RubySue, I'm a long time CC and I have over 50+ cruises under my belt. Mostly with HAL. On 8/12/16, I booked my 1st Oceania cruise, Rainforests and Rivers that departs 11/29/16. I called Oceania directly to get information and subsequently booked the cruise via an Oceania/Regent Cruise Rep. Not having a Brazilian Visa, he told us that the visa should take 2 weeks. We paid for the cruise 100% which was due within a couple weeks of our booking while we meantime worked on our visa process obtaining new photos to upload and include with our Brazilian visa application. Because Oceania's partner, Visa Central told us that they couldn't process our visa until mid to late-Dec (weeks after cruise departure) we decided to complete the visa ourselves. The earliest visa appt at the SF Brazilian Consulate for two people is Oct 31 (less than a month before the cruise). Feeling very anxious about the window with no time for error, we contacted the Oceania rep. At first he told us that they would consider refunding us the 25% and allowing us to apply the 75% cancellation penalty towards other Oceania cruises, he now seems to be dancing around telling us we can only apply a portion of the 75% cancellation penalty to another cruise and the remainder will be forfeited entirely. Can you recommend an escalation process with Oceania? The clock is ticking and we will be at the 100% cancellation penalty in less than 2 weeks. My hope is this first experience with Oceania is not my last one. I'm an early retiree with at least 50 more cruises to go! Thanks in advance for advice on the most efficient escalation process.

Trish, we are on this same cruise, and just booked a couple weeks ago. Oceania also could not help us with the visas. I am in the San Francisco Brazilian consulate region, as it appears that you are.

We are using an expediter who has very good online reviews. We filled out the forms online and uploaded the photos and signatures, then Fed Ex'd the approved print out, money orders, and our passports to him in SF.

He says we should have the visas by the second week of October.

In retrospect, I think we could have just done it all ourselves and from what I have heard, the visas only take a week or two to be returned after your appointment with the consulate. But I have also heard that Brazil is kind of wonky - you never know what the next hangup will be.

Let me know if you would like the info on our expediter. You could check the reviews online and see if you are interested. We have only used email to "talk" with him, but that seems to be the usual way he works.

Just another reason to use a good TA and NEVER book directly with ANY cruise line. Your TA is the best person for resolving issues like this as they work for you vs. the cruise line rep works for the cruise line and has no incentive to help you. Also, make sure as soon as anyone makes a promise to get it in writing. Otherwise you are subject to whims of who you talked about or changes in what was promised. Also cruise line rep is completely unaware of visa issues thus the 2 week comment as their only job is to get your deposit/final payment. Good luck.

Can I assume that one can make an appointment at the Brazilian consulate closest to where one lives. We live in Albuquerque and would drive to Houston just to do this if its an option.

Yes you can -- but I still would recommend a Visa service CIBT/Visa Central.

You have to schedule your appointment in advance. Check the web page for a VISA and the instructions.

http://houston.itamaraty.gov.br/en-us/appointment_instructions.xml

Careful with your yes answer Paul. Can't necessarily go to the closest Brazilian consulate. Have to go to the consulate that is responsible for the state you live in. And as I mentioned have to follow all of the instructions exactly and the appointment is just part of the instructions.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app