Just booked first on RCCL- help me with dining questions?

Hi all- thanks so much for the wealth of info. Forgive me, as we usually sail NCL which is freestyle, so this will be a major adjustment for us.

We booked our cruise for November and are at an 8:30 seating time in the main dining room. I understand I am sitting with the same folks nightly at a table (so strange when you're used to freestyle!). However, I'm wondering how to find the menus ahead of time to see which nights I want to skip the MDR? I just looked at a sample menu ahead of time and am very, very nervous as the majority of the nights did not look appealing to me.

Another question- if we book other arrangements, do we just not show up at dinner or do we need to inform someone? If I show up to the MDR and do not find any of the choices appealing, is it appropriate to just get up and leave?

I know this sounds very whiny but I am a life-long picky eater and although I've gotten better with age, if I'm going to be on vacation I want to be loving what I'm eating. Johnny Rockets and the chips and salsa bar sound so much better!

Lastly, NCL is freestyle so I typically wear a sun dress, shorts, or a romper to dinner. Is this appropriate for dinner? What should my husband be wearing? Are long khakis and a nice shirt ok? I need to tread very carefully- he was reluctant to jump from NCL because he liked not having to dress up at all- must he on RCCL? We're in our 20's (for a little while longer anyway...) and RCCL seemed a little more age appropriate, but I'm trying to sell this dress up thing.

thanks to all.

With regard to the menus, it would help to know the ship and itinerary. Someone here may have recently been on that cruise and may have posted the menu order.

There's no need to enter the dining room to see the menu for that night. It will be posted outside the dining room after lunch.

Just a couple of thoughts to try to answer some of your questions.

Fixed dining means you're seated at the same table every night, with the same wait staff. It does not necessarily mean you have to sit with others. You can request a table for two. (DW and I do that every cruise)

Then you'll have no table mates waiting for you to show up to begin the meal service. So if you decide not to show up, just don't.

And while we're follow our example. We have not only sat down, viewed the menu and left. Once we ordered, recieved out entree's, didn't like them, excused ourselves and left.

You're on vacation. Please yourself. Have a good time. You can do that without stepping on anyone else's toes. Easy peasy.

Harvey

Fixed dining means you're seated at the same table every night, with the same wait staff. <snip> So if you decide not to show up, just don't.

While the above is true, your wait staff will get to know you and most likely have your choice of dinner beverage awaiting your arrival.

We generally let our waiter know in advance we have reservations elsewhere, or that it was a tiring port day, or whatever. It's common courtesy, and appreciated. You will probably become acquainted/friends with your table mates and can pass information to the waiter through them as well.

Enjoy your cruise!

Sherri

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Are you sure you would rather do the MDR (traditional time) instead of MTD...since you're used to freestyle ?

I too am more comfortable with a table for two....regardless.

In addition to the varied menu items each night (which many times I don't care for)...there are a couple of standard's available every night like chicken, beef etc etc. We actually end up eating in the WJ (buffet) more than the dining room on most all our cruise's.

RCI only suggest's dress...it's never mandatory...and actually it's becoming much more casual...the clothes you have mentioned above are going to be perfect...some will be more dressed up but many more will not.

Enjoy your first RCI cruise....more than likely it won't be your last ;)

Edited by Ashland

I agree with ashland. My time doing may be better for you. You can show up when you want. If you like your wait staff, you can ask for their section again. Or, if not, you can try different sections.

We always do MTD now and like it much better. The early sitting is too early and the late is too late.

If you choose to eat elsewhere, you don't have to notify anyone!

The menus are posted daily after breakfast on the boards that are all over the ship. The only clothes that is not accepted in the MDR for dinner are shorts and tank tops for the men.

We like the set dining times and have met some very nice tablemates that we still keep in contact with and are going to cruise with again.

Enjoy your cruise and you will be able to find something to eat on your ship I am sure.

I am also somewhat new to RCL. I am traveling with a group of ten women. We selected early dining so we can all be seated together easily. We normally cruise with Celebrity. If we select Anytime Dining on Celebrity we can go onto the website months in advance and reserve dining times for each night. Is that possible on RCL or must you call each morning to try to reserve? We will be on the Indy. Thanks for help on this!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am also somewhat new to RCL. I am traveling with a group of ten women. We selected early dining so we can all be seated together easily. We normally cruise with Celebrity. If we select Anytime Dining on Celebrity we can go onto the website months in advance and reserve dining times for each night. Is that possible on RCL or must you call each morning to try to reserve? We will be on the Indy. Thanks for help on this!

Royal allows pre-cruise reservations for MTD dining times.

We are sailing on The Oasis on December 18 and I booked our MTD yesterday.

We discovered dining when we wished on NCL on a TA cruise and loved it. We are not fans of Traditional dining. You do not have to select the same time each night with MTD. We have ours booked to work with our entertainment choices and with Diamond Happy Hour.

Enjoy your new adventure with RCCL.

Grace

Are you sure you would rather do the MDR (traditional time) instead of MTD...since you're used to freestyle ?

I too am more comfortable with a table for two....regardless.

In addition to the varied menu items each night (which many times I don't care for)...there are a couple of standard's available every night like chicken, beef etc etc. We actually end up eating in the WJ (buffet) more than the dining room on most all our cruise's.

RCI only suggest's dress...it's never mandatory...and actually it's becoming much more casual...the clothes you have mentioned above are going to be perfect...some will be more dressed up but many more will not.

Enjoy your first RCI cruise....more than likely it won't be your last ;)

I'd love to do MTD but the option didn't seem available, maybe I missed a step? I had no idea I could! We planned all our shows etc around the 8:30 seating so it sounds like I may need to re evaluate. I don't really like much chicken or beef so I am definitely nervous about the choices. I'm basically a 5 year old in an adult body and would prefer chicken fingers to any of the choices I've read on the menu so far!

Hi all- thanks so much for the wealth of info. Forgive me, as we usually sail NCL which is freestyle, so this will be a major adjustment for us.

We booked our cruise for November and are at an 8:30 seating time in the main dining room. I understand I am sitting with the same folks nightly at a table (so strange when you're used to freestyle!). However, I'm wondering how to find the menus ahead of time to see which nights I want to skip the MDR? I just looked at a sample menu ahead of time and am very, very nervous as the majority of the nights did not look appealing to me.

Another question- if we book other arrangements, do we just not show up at dinner or do we need to inform someone? If I show up to the MDR and do not find any of the choices appealing, is it appropriate to just get up and leave?

I know this sounds very whiny but I am a life-long picky eater and although I've gotten better with age, if I'm going to be on vacation I want to be loving what I'm eating. Johnny Rockets and the chips and salsa bar sound so much better!

Lastly, NCL is freestyle so I typically wear a sun dress, shorts, or a romper to dinner. Is this appropriate for dinner? What should my husband be wearing? Are long khakis and a nice shirt ok? I need to tread very carefully- he was reluctant to jump from NCL because he liked not having to dress up at all- must he on RCCL? We're in our 20's (for a little while longer anyway...) and RCCL seemed a little more age appropriate, but I'm trying to sell this dress up thing.

thanks to all.

It sounds as if you would be much happier with RC My Time Dining rather than traditional with the fixed time. If you prefer to eat when you please not sure why you would choose traditional.

Menus are posted outside the dining room, buffet, concierge lounge (if you have access) so you can see the nightly selections. There are also basic entrees listed that are available every night. Usually posted after breakfast each day.

If you decide to stick with traditional dining with table mates I think it's polite to let your waiter and table mates know if you plan in advance to not be there. The waiters usually wait to take orders until everyone is seated. Just a common courtesy.

Suggested dress code is published in daily compass. It is a suggestion only - you will see people that don't comply. The only major requests are no shorts in the dining room for dinner, and no tank tops on men. What you mentioned is fine.

I'd love to do MTD but the option didn't seem available, maybe I missed a step? I had no idea I could! We planned all our shows etc around the 8:30 seating so it sounds like I may need to re evaluate. I don't really like much chicken or beef so I am definitely nervous about the choices. I'm basically a 5 year old in an adult body and would prefer chicken fingers to any of the choices I've read on the menu so far!

Ask to see the kid's menu! Anyone can order from it! Chicken fingers every night! You can order from adult and kids menus! Mix and match!

Edited by Grandma Dazzles

Thanks to everyone- yes, I would STRONGLY prefer to do my time seating but the option was unavailable when I booked my cruise. Am I missing something? It was 'grayed out.'

We are sailing on the allure, sorry I didn't mention that!

They only allow for a certain number of reservations in each dining category which is why my time was greyed out.

As you get closer to the cruise call Royal and see if you can switch or get on the my time waitlist. If not, when you get on-board you can also go to the dining room and see if you can change from the traditional to my time.

Just as a matter of respect, we don't wear shorts to dinner because it is not the suggested dress code. The men wear slacks and a polo shirt. The waiter can usually tell you what is on the menu the next night. Ours usually volunteers this information at the end of the meal with, "tomorrow night we will be having, x y and z." Not all the details but a heads up. The menu for the night will be posted outside the dining room during the day. If I weren't going to show up for dinner, I would let the waiter know in advance. It helps them serve the guests that show up better if they know they aren't waiting on you to arrive, just as a courtesy to the waiter and the others at your table.