Bringing a case of water onboard

jebridan

All fuzzy math by NCL to confuse the issue. Larger bottles should be cheaper than smaller bottles when you compare the quantities involved. The easiest way to do that is calculate the cost per ounce.

NCL-24 litres = 811.5 oz for $70.74 or $.087 per oz

Walmart 24 16.9 oz bottles for $4.18 or $.010 per oz

NCL is almost 8.5 more expensive so no its not twice the price its almost 9 times the price.

Just another straw on the camels back

No, it isn't. You are comparing different products. I can get free water from my neighbor's swimming pool or my toilet, but that's not the same as bottled water.

The only price comparison that fits is the exact same item in the exact same packaging. NCL and my supermarket are (probably) paying about the same wholesale price for the 1 liter Aquafina bottles. When they aren't selling it as a "loss leader", the supermarket sells it for $1.99 (plus sales tax plus CRV if I'm calculating my entire cost). NCL is double that for a 12 pack.

Walmart sells Coors for under a buck a can. The same can on NCL is way more expensive, and has a higher mark up than the Aquafina 1 liter bottles of water.

No longer allowed! But, you can pre-order a case of 24 and have it waiting in you stateroom when you board for .....wait for it.........for the bargain price of $70.74! A savings of 55% over the individual purchase price aboard ship!:D

You can also go to any bar and get water for free. If you REALLY need it to be in a bottle simply carry you own empty water bottle and pour the cup of water into the bottle.

No, it isn't. You are comparing different products. I can get free water from my neighbor's swimming pool or my toilet, but that's not the same as bottled water.

Water from the tap IS the same as bottled water though except you don't pollute the environment with those silly plastic bottles and if you really want it in a bottle simply hold the bottle under the tap and fill it up! FREE...

Can anyone tell me if I will be able to board the Dawn with a case of water? I've seen answers both way. Anyone boarded the Dawn in the last month with a case of water and allowed to bring it?

Not since July, and their water package is a crazy price.

The only price comparison that fits is the exact same item in the exact same packaging. NCL and my supermarket are (probably) paying about the same wholesale price for the 1 liter Aquafina bottles. When they aren't selling it as a "loss leader", the supermarket sells it for $1.99 (plus sales tax plus CRV if I'm calculating my entire cost). NCL is double that for a 12 pack.

Walmart sells Coors for under a buck a can. The same can on NCL is way more expensive, and has a higher mark up than the Aquafina 1 liter bottles of water.

I'd buy the Aquafina 32-16.9 fl. oz. bottles for $5.24 at Walmart, not too bad.

At Atlantis and at the 4 Seasons I can bring my OWN water ....that I like.

I also think that "Water" should be included in the drink package.

It would cut down on the rowdy, and encourage more money for the cruise line instead of $10. drinks.

Water is included for free without need for any package. Just go up to any bartender and ask for a cup of water. This whole bottled water thing is so silly. A perfect example of how marketing can convince people that they need to pay a premium for something that is free. How in the heck did any of you survive at all before this stupid product was market to the gullible? A vast majority of this bottled water is nothing but the exact same water that comes out of the tap. I can hardy wait until someone starts selling bagged air! Hmm you know I may just have stumbled upon my path to financial freedom!

Why is it that whenever anyone asks about bottled water so many have tell them it's a waste of money???

If someone asked about Champagne I doubt everyone would tell them to drink the cheapest booze they can get, they'll still get a buzz.

If someone prefers bottled water surely that's their business.

Water from the tap IS the same as bottled water though except you don't pollute the environment with those silly plastic bottles and if you really want it in a bottle simply hold the bottle under the tap and fill it up! FREE...

Is it not the same, any more than Coors Light is the same as Aphrodisiaque beer. The tap water on board has sodium chloride (swimming pool chlorine or bleach) added to it to sanitize it, often in amounts far exceeding what your local municipality uses IF your local municipality is still one that uses sodium chloride. The majority of tap water in US homes is sanitized with chloramines rather than chloride, a far less offensive chemical. But it is still an added chemical.

Bottled water is filtered and sanitized using UV light and other non-persistent sanitation methods such as ozone that do not leave a residue, and contains no "bleach" or chloramines.

The ship's water can be filtered with a common carbon filter to make it taste far better and remove the sodium chloride. That's what is done in the buffet, bars and restaurants. We find the filtered water acceptable to drink, but not the tap water.

I am sorry for those that cannot taste the difference between water with sodium chloride and pure, fresh water that has no added (dangerous and deadly) chemicals.

I'd buy the Aquafina 32-16.9 fl. oz. bottles for $5.24 at Walmart' date=' not too bad.[/quote']

There are definitely better choices when you have something approaching a "free market" on shore! I'll buy water at those inflated prices when I have to, like when I'm at Disneyland or on board a ship, but I prefer to pay less.

NCL has the highest priced still water of any cruise line, as far as I can tell. And, they don't include it in the beverage plans.

I have no idea why the 1 liter bottles of Aquafina are so expensive, but they are. The base, wholesale price is so much higher than the equivalent number of ounces of the same brand in small bottles. But that's a question for PepsiCo and not NCL.

I wish NCL would either supply water in 1/2 liter bottles at the same markup or provide another alternative for us water drinkers ... lugging around 1 liter bottles doesn't sound like fun.

Like NCL, we recycle every single plastic water bottle we use (and also, since we are in California and face stiff fines if we don't recycle, recycle all of our garden waste, plastic, paper, and other materials .... sorting them into one of three bins for pick up day).

Edited by fshagan

Is it not the same, any more than Coors Light is the same as Aphrodisiaque beer. The tap water on board has sodium chloride (swimming pool chlorine or bleach) added to it to sanitize it, often in amounts far exceeding what your local municipality uses IF your local municipality is still one that uses sodium chloride. The majority of tap water in US homes is sanitized with chloramines rather than chloride, a far less offensive chemical. But it is still an added chemical.

Bottled water is filtered and sanitized using UV light and other non-persistent sanitation methods such as ozone that do not leave a residue, and contains no "bleach" or chloramines.

The ship's water can be filtered with a common carbon filter to make it taste far better and remove the sodium chloride. That's what is done in the buffet, bars and restaurants. We find the filtered water acceptable to drink, but not the tap water.

I am sorry for those that cannot taste the difference between water with sodium chloride and pure, fresh water that has no added (dangerous and deadly) chemicals.

I think you mistyped when you say that the ships use sodium chloride to sanitize the water, when they use sodium hypoclorite.

I will also dispute the claim that the majority of water in the US is sanitized with chloramines, though I am no expert on the subject when it comes to municipal water supplies. I believe that many municipalities use chloramines as a secondary sanitizer, after using chlorine as a primary one. This is because chlorine is a better sanitizing agent, but chloramine has a better half-life, so it lasts longer in the pipes.

The CDC regards both chlorine and chloramines to be safe when concentrations are 4.0ppm or below. Now, seeing that you've mentioned you live in California, I looked up the maximum allowable chlorine or chloramine concentrations in your state, and they are 80ppm. NYC has reported residual chlorine content (at the user's faucet) at 120+ppm, which means that they have treated to higher than that levels.

The USPH/CDC regulations for cruise ships requires a residual chlorine content of 0.5ppm at the furthest point from the chlorination point. Since the ship's water is constantly being recirculated, rather than sitting idle in underground pipes, the chlorine levels remain very close to the required residual at all points through the ship. So, I dispute your claim that the ships chlorinate to higher levels than municipal water. Even the water produced onboard, or taken from shore is only chlorinated to 4-5ppm, per USPH/CDC.

Further, because of the lesser chance of biological contamination of the ship's water (no underground pipes, more prevalent backflow preventers), there is less likelihood of the organic sanitizing byproducts caused by chlorine in municipal water supplies.

I know you mistyped about sodium chloride, from your last sentence where you claim it is a "dangerous and deadly" chemical. Bad for your blood pressure? Sure. Deadly, not so much.

I agree that bottled water does not normally contain chlorine or chloramines, but I dispute that ship's water is as bad as municipal water.

And while I salute your state's recycling laws, as ours in Maine require them to be, 8 out of 10 of the 42.6 billion single serving bottles used annually in the US end up in landfills. Add to that the 17 million barrels of oil required to power the bottled water industry (and that is a 10 year old figure), and I for one cannot justify bottled water.

I think you mistyped when you say that the ships use sodium chloride to sanitize the water, when they use sodium hypoclorite.

I will also dispute the claim that the majority of water in the US is sanitized with chloramines, though I am no expert on the subject when it comes to municipal water supplies. I believe that many municipalities use chloramines as a secondary sanitizer, after using chlorine as a primary one. This is because chlorine is a better sanitizing agent, but chloramine has a better half-life, so it lasts longer in the pipes.

The CDC regards both chlorine and chloramines to be safe when concentrations are 4.0ppm or below. Now, seeing that you've mentioned you live in California, I looked up the maximum allowable chlorine or chloramine concentrations in your state, and they are 80ppm. NYC has reported residual chlorine content (at the user's faucet) at 120+ppm, which means that they have treated to higher than that levels.

The USPH/CDC regulations for cruise ships requires a residual chlorine content of 0.5ppm at the furthest point from the chlorination point. Since the ship's water is constantly being recirculated, rather than sitting idle in underground pipes, the chlorine levels remain very close to the required residual at all points through the ship. So, I dispute your claim that the ships chlorinate to higher levels than municipal water. Even the water produced onboard, or taken from shore is only chlorinated to 4-5ppm, per USPH/CDC.

Further, because of the lesser chance of biological contamination of the ship's water (no underground pipes, more prevalent backflow preventers), there is less likelihood of the organic sanitizing byproducts caused by chlorine in municipal water supplies.

I know you mistyped about sodium chloride, from your last sentence where you claim it is a "dangerous and deadly" chemical. Bad for your blood pressure? Sure. Deadly, not so much.

I agree that bottled water does not normally contain chlorine or chloramines, but I dispute that ship's water is as bad as municipal water.

And while I salute your state's recycling laws, as ours in Maine require them to be, 8 out of 10 of the 42.6 billion single serving bottles used annually in the US end up in landfills. Add to that the 17 million barrels of oil required to power the bottled water industry (and that is a 10 year old figure), and I for one cannot justify bottled water.

Fantastic post. Leave the bottles behind and drink ships water. Help the environment.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ships can't carry enough fresh water on board. It would weight the ship and lose profits using more fuel.

Ships use sea water to make fresh water.

Fresh water is generated on ship by a fresh water generator, also known as evaporator. The process by which fresh water is generated is known as distillation process. Sea water is converted into fresh water by evaporating and condensing the sea water. Evaporation of the sea water is either done by boiling or by flash process. This process enables the reduction of 32,000 parts per million in sea water to 1 to 2 parts in fresh water.

Millions of gallons are used daily by cruise ships for both passengers, cooking, cleaning, laundry and staff.

I hate Aquafina and I hate 16oz bottles.

Ships can't carry enough fresh water on board. It would weight the ship and lose profits using more fuel.

Ships use sea water to make fresh water.

Fresh water is generated on ship by a fresh water generator, also known as evaporator. The process by which fresh water is generated is known as distillation process. Sea water is converted into fresh water by evaporating and condensing the sea water. Evaporation of the sea water is either done by boiling or by flash process. This process enables the reduction of 32,000 parts per million in sea water to 1 to 2 parts in fresh water.

Millions of gallons are used daily by cruise ships for both passengers, cooking, cleaning, laundry and staff.

I hate Aquafina and I hate 16oz bottles.

While I agree with nearly all you say, not all ship's water is made by flash evaporation (and flash evaporation is still boiling, just at a lower temperature by reducing the pressure). Depending on the ship's itinerary, it may not have sufficient time at sea to make all the water needed, so some is loaded in port. Also, in addition to evaporators, most ships produce a portion of their fresh water by reverse osmosis, which generally produces in the 0-20ppm range.

While I agree with nearly all you say, not all ship's water is made by flash evaporation (and flash evaporation is still boiling, just at a lower temperature by reducing the pressure). Depending on the ship's itinerary, it may not have sufficient time at sea to make all the water needed, so some is loaded in port. Also, in addition to evaporators, most ships produce a portion of their fresh water by reverse osmosis, which generally produces in the 0-20ppm range.

cruise ships or any ship for that matter have been built with water treatment facilities or ocean-water desalination plant.

Desalination, the removal of salt and other impurities from sea-water so that such water can become safe for human consumption.

However most people would like to bring their own brand of water on board and few people ever do. Not as many as people think read Cruise Critic.

I live 3 miles from a port and see some purchase water at Publix then empty out some and fill them with Gin or Vodka.

I really think this is the reason for NOT allowing the passengers to bring their own water aboard.

cruise ships or any ship for that matter have been built with water treatment facilities or ocean-water desalination plant.

Desalination, the removal of salt and other impurities from sea-water so that such water can become safe for human consumption.

However most people would like to bring their own brand of water on board and few people ever do. Not as many as people think read Cruise Critic.

I live 3 miles from a port and see some purchase water at Publix then empty out some and fill them with Gin or Vodka.

I really think this is the reason for NOT allowing the passengers to bring their own water aboard.

Find that a bit hard to believe..:rolleyes: NCL wont sell you a cruise these days without forcing you to take a (free - after they upped the price ) UBP :rolleyes:

Edited by ighten

Just FYI...chengkp75 is a Maritime Chief Engineer. ;)