Bringing a case of water onboard

jebridan

Free market economy. I am already within my 90-day booking time for my November Norwegian cruise. My next two cruises that I have already booked are on Carnival (very reasonable bottled water plan), then Royal Caribbean (bottled water included in the UDP). Both were also a better price.

What do they do if you bring a bottle or two on the ship after you were at a port (St Thomas, Cozumel, etc)? I have done this in the past. As I usually just buy a bottle while walking/shopping and bring it back onboard.

Has anyone done this recently?

No longer able to do this (https://www.ncl.com/faq/liquor-beverage-policy):

"Open beverages of any kind must be consumed or discarded at the security check-point, on embarkation day and at any port of call."

No longer able to do this (https://www.ncl.com/faq/liquor-beverage-policy):

"Open beverages of any kind must be consumed or discarded at the security check-point, on embarkation day and at any port of call."

Several reviews of Escape and Breakaway for cruises after the change have stated that water was not confiscated when returning from an excursion.

Several others claim to have packed 12 packs in luggage which was delivered to their stateroom with no problem .

Both scenarios are, of course , against the stated policy.

Edited by Annmeat

Do they sell water at the terminal ? Can't one buy after security screen but before boarding and put in carry on?

There are no stores in the terminal but I'm sure there was a vending machine which might have water in. Still might be cheaper than buying onboard.

Free market economy. I am already within my 90-day booking time for my November Norwegian cruise. My next two cruises that I have already booked are on Carnival (very reasonable bottled water plan), then Royal Caribbean (bottled water included in the UDP). Both were also a better price.

Yes. Choose your vacation based solely on bottled water prices. Now I have literally heard it all.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Do you really think that if someone has the drink package and water was available under the package, they are going to pass up an alcoholic drink, especially when water is already readily available on the ship for the taking or asking? If water was available within the package, NCL would probably have the same amount of alcohol consumed and have additional water consumed, which would cost them more, not less. BTW, anyone who wants to be a rowdy drunk is not going to drink water over alcohol, IMHO.
If San Pellegrino was included in NCL's package like it is on Celebrity and Carnival, then yes, I would partake in a few bottles over the course of an evening to keep me hydrated in between the consumption of the alcoholic beverages of my choice. The hydration helps with the possible next day hangover depending upon how many drinks I decide to imbibe in. Since water is not included and I refuse to pay the inflated prices, I do without even though my body may regret it the following day.

If San Pellegrino was included in NCL's package like it is on Celebrity and Carnival, then yes, I would partake in a few bottles over the course of an evening to keep me hydrated in between the consumption of the alcoholic beverages of my choice. The hydration helps with the possible next day hangover depending upon how many drinks I decide to imbibe in. Since water is not included and I refuse to pay the inflated prices, I do without even though my body may regret it the following day.

I thought I read somewhere that San pellegrino was available on board. Isn't going without water even though it would make you feel better a version of " cutting off your nose to spite your face" as my Italian grandmother would say? I am on vacation. If I want something (or need it in the case of water), I will pay for it. I need a bottle of water near my bed both for taking medication and for dry mouth during the night. I also like good coffee. I will pay for both because they add to my comfort and enjoyment of my vacation. I am not going to deny myself to spite the bean counters at NCL. If they price themselves out of my financial comfort level, then I move on.

Filtered water is included at the buffet dispensers. Allowing the booze to dehydrate you is not necessary.

What do they do if you bring a bottle or two on the ship after you were at a port (St Thomas' date=' Cozumel, etc)? I have done this in the past. As I usually just buy a bottle while walking/shopping and bring it back onboard.

[/quote']

I've read that like Carnival, they have a big drum / bin for you to throw your bottled water bought ashore into, as they will not let you on the ship with it.

What do they do if you bring a bottle or two on the ship after you were at a port (St Thomas, Cozumel, etc)? I have done this in the past. As I usually just buy a bottle while walking/shopping and bring it back onboard.

Has anyone done this recently?

They took it off you at every port and threw it away, even if you took a bottle of the ship and brought it back on.

In July NCL changed the rules about taking water and soft drinks on board; it is now totally forbidden.

what about those of us who are at least mildly concerned about motion sickness and ginger ale really helps...not so much as a six pack?

Yea from NCL. Prices have actually gone down believe it or not.

Its $59.95 for a 24 pack of 1 liter bottles.

I'm just curious, where did you get that price from? I'm looking at the NCL price for 24 bottles of undetermined sized bottles listed in their beverage package offerings for pre order, and the price is $70.74 for 24, 18 are listed at $58.94, 12 are $47.15, and a six pack is $27.08 as of this morning.

Yes. Choose your vacation based solely on bottled water prices. Now I have literally heard it all.

I don't see bottled water as the sole reason for the referenced poster choosing Carnival.

However, in my recent experience, Carnival provided a much better vacation for me than NCL. Maybe others recognize that also.

I don't see bottled water as the sole reason for the referenced poster choosing Carnival.

However, in my recent experience, Carnival provided a much better vacation for me than NCL. Maybe others recognize that also.

Now, exactly how would one know that from the post? All that was listed was bottled water and price. We could make a big leap and assume it was more, but that's not what was posted.

Now, exactly how would one know that from the post? All that was listed was bottled water and price. We could make a big leap and assume it was more, but that's not what was posted.

It was your post that assumed the water was the SOLE reason. Poster did not say what you assumed. Your negativity could be in error.

If having free or cheap water is financially important to someone, I guess it is as good a reason to change. Wouldn't be why I would choose a vacation, but everyone is different.

If having free or cheap water is financially important to someone, I guess it is as good a reason to change. Wouldn't be why I would choose a vacation, but everyone is different.

You hafta remember that there is an unlimited supply of very drinkable water available at NO CHARGE on every ship. People who insist that bottled water is better or -I'm sorry but I started laughing as I typed this- 'tastier' have problems bigger than the guy who was worried about the brand of ketchup on the ship.

I'm just curious, where did you get that price from? I'm looking at the NCL price for 24 bottles of undetermined sized bottles listed in their beverage package offerings for pre order, and the price is $70.74 for 24, 18 are listed at $58.94, 12 are $47.15, and a six pack is $27.08 as of this morning.

https://www.ncl.com/onboard-packages/bottled-water-packages

Your prices include the tax at $70.74. 24x 1l bottles is $59.95 +18% tax

http://www.ncl.co.uk/helpful-information/faqs/#drinking-soda

what about those of us who are at least mildly concerned about motion sickness and ginger ale really helps...not so much as a six pack?

Ginger Ale is sold aboard ship. Also, you could bring aboard ginger capsules, candied ginger, or Bonine/meclazine/Dramamine.

Do they sell water at the terminal ? Can't one buy after security screen but before boarding and put in carry on?

You do realize, don't you, that your carry-on goes through an Xray scanner as you board the ship. Your bottles of water will be taken away and not returned.

You hafta remember that there is an unlimited supply of very drinkable water available at NO CHARGE on every ship. People who insist that bottled water is better or -I'm sorry but I started laughing as I typed this- 'tastier' have problems bigger than the guy who was worried about the brand of ketchup on the ship.

Reminds me of the Beer commercial - 'TASTES GREAT - LESS FILLING' !

At least with the UBP - beer is cheaper than bottled water - go figure !

AND when the price of bottled water become outrageously expensive -

buy some food coloring and taint the bottle water you brought on board

and pay a 'Corkage Fee' calling it - (non-alcoholic) WINE !