Bringing a case of water onboard

jebridan

You do realize, don't you, that your carry-on goes through an Xray scanner as you board the ship. Your bottles of water will be taken away and not returned.

I have never experienced this in a U.S. port at initial embarkation. The carry-on luggage is scanned before you enter the terminal, and not again prior to boarding the ship; only the key card is swiped. The on-board scanning does occur at ports of call however.

Edited by drvalo

You do realize, don't you, that your carry-on goes through an Xray scanner as you board the ship. Your bottles of water will be taken away and not returned.

There was a post recently that at Miami after they went through security and were waiting in the boarding area there was a soda machine that sold various Coke products and bottled water.

While I agree with nearly all you say, not all ship's water is made by flash evaporation (and flash evaporation is still boiling, just at a lower temperature by reducing the pressure). Depending on the ship's itinerary, it may not have sufficient time at sea to make all the water needed, so some is loaded in port. Also, in addition to evaporators, most ships produce a portion of their fresh water by reverse osmosis, which generally produces in the 0-20ppm range.

chengkp75 - Out of curiosoity (yep i have killed the cat) and believe me I dont want to start anything here! I sailed on the Breakaway a few weeks ago and or room steward started bringing us a pitcher of water everyday , he said the "filtered" water was better than the water out of the faucet? Should we be drinking the water only that is filtered -ie at the dispensers at the buffets - or is the faucet water still ok to drink -? I know there are NO signs displaying that source as un-potable but I always thought it was from the same source ?

Several reviews of Escape and Breakaway for cruises after the change have stated that water was not confiscated when returning from an excursion.

Several others claim to have packed 12 packs in luggage which was delivered to their stateroom with no problem .

Both scenarios are, of course , against the stated policy.

Last week. Bottom of Gangway:

Gangway.jpg

Top of gangway, bags of beverages.

This sign was in fact there at ports of call, where items are scanned on board, but not at embarkation where they are scanned at the terminal. "If" you were to buy some from the soda machine after you have had your carry ons scanned, no one would know.

I was also able to bring bottled water back from GSC (which I had brought from the ship anyway). I am assuming because they consider GSC an extension of the ship. Mind you that the no beverage sign was still in place, just no one cared.

chengkp75 - Out of curiosoity (yep i have killed the cat) and believe me I dont want to start anything here! I sailed on the Breakaway a few weeks ago and or room steward started bringing us a pitcher of water everyday ' date=' he said the "filtered" water was better than the water out of the faucet? Should we be drinking the water only that is filtered -ie at the dispensers at the buffets - or is the faucet water still ok to drink -? I know there are NO signs displaying that source as un-potable but I always thought it was from the same source ?[/quote']

The filtered water is exactly the same but the filtration takes out chlorine. If the tap water from the bathroom tastes OK to you there's no problem drinking it.

I don't like the taste of the water because I can smell and taste the chlorine, but that same water run through a carbon filter is OK for me.

I found this interesting.

NCL has suffered over the year from the perception even amongst cruise fans of being the king of nickel and diming its customers.

But when it's time to make a deal with a CEO to move him out of the way without a fuss, NCL will not hesitate to pay millions in severance $13.4 million to be exact.

Then this

Posted by a crew member

March 18, 2016

"It doesn't matter how much Mr. Sheehans got. He is such a nice and approachable person. I had the chance to meet him 3 years ago in the NCL Sun, he came to my side stand to greet and thank us for our hard work. Unlike Mr. Del Rio, who comes to NCL changing everything, all our benefits. The company is going down for the crew. Del Rio came to NCL PEARL when I was there, stood there for 2 hours and put the ship up side down. So arrogant and impolite to the crew, didn't even smile at us. Not even a "well done guys, thank you for your hard work." NOTHING. I've been with NCL for the past 3 years. I will appreciate if you keep my name private. I may lose my job if anything comes to public."

The filtered water is exactly the same but the filtration takes out chlorine. If the tap water from the bathroom tastes OK to you there's no problem drinking it.

I don't like the taste of the water because I can smell and taste the chlorine, but that same water run through a carbon filter is OK for me.

If you drink coffee, tea, lemonade, any drink with ice, or eat ANY food on teh ship, you are consuming 'THAT' water.

This sign was in fact there at ports of call, where items are scanned on board, but not at embarkation where they are scanned at the terminal. "If" you were to buy some from the soda machine after you have had your carry ons scanned, no one would know.

I was also able to bring bottled water back from GSC (which I had brought from the ship anyway). I am assuming because they consider GSC an extension of the ship. Mind you that the no beverage sign was still in place, just no one cared.

GSC is part of NCL. So the water carry on rules wouldn't apply

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you drink coffee, tea, lemonade, any drink with ice, or eat ANY food on teh ship, you are consuming 'THAT' water.

Actually, he's not. All of the juice machines, soda machines, coffee machines, and ice makers have carbon filters on the water supply. This is simply to lessen the maintenance on the machines by limiting chlorine scale, not to make the water taste better. This is also done on the water dispensers in the dining venues where the wait staff fill their pitchers.