Inside on the Koningsdam

Dismomx5

It has been a while since we cruised HAL, and we've just booked an inside room on the Koningsdam for November. We've never stayed in an inside room, so I was wondering is there anything that I need to know? (Other than it will be small!) I'm thinking a small nightlight might be a priority packing item. ;)

I haven't sailed on the Koningsdam yet, so can't give you any thoughts on that ship. But I am a veteran of inside cabins, so might have some ideas there.

I always bring a small flashlight with me, along with some back-up batteries. It comes in handy when toddling to/from the bathroom in the middle of the night, lighting a path, and giving off just enough light in there to see, without waking me up. Where a flashlight is better than a nightlight is that it is portable, and it can be used if the electricity goes out. That has happened to me, and it was darker than dark in there.

If you want a window on the world, turn the TV to the view from the bridge, and instant window! You could leave it on all night, and let the room lighten gradually as the sun rises. I don't, as I don't want to wear out the TV, and I don't want to wake up that early. But some people appreciate the idea.

Thank you Ruth. I knew that some people are vets at the inside room. I actually have a battery nightlight/diffuser that I just bought, and thought that that might work okay. I know that we have a small flashlight, so I'll be sure to pack that, too. Extra batteries!!! That I might have forgotten. Good to know that there is a view from the bridge on the t.v. Thanks again.

I've a motion activated battery nightlight - or, it can be set to "on", nice and dim. Best $10 I ever spent.

I have a flashlight

in my purse,

in my toiletries,

plus on my permanent packing list :rolleyes:.

Trying rechargeable batteries this time, despite the challenge of power off when out of cabin: we'll see.

Some people bring a couple clothespins to weigh down the edge of the shower curtain, to prevent "dancing" with it, when wet. Never had an issue.

I love that inside cabins are so much easier to keep cool on tropical voyages: no heat gain from window. RuthC once referred to her preferred cabin temperature as "meat locker" <nodding emphatically to agree>. Perfectly possible to achieve 68F/20C in an inside.

Try THAT in a suite!!

In our inside room on the Maasdam it was never complete darkness. We brought a night light and a flashlight but there is a light over the bed that when turned off slowly fades off. I was asleep before it went completely out.

We did leave the night light plugged in but there were also glow strips over the closets where the life jackets were stored (which was a nice touch in case of power failure).

This was our first time in an inside and we were pleasantly surprised.

• 4 weeks later...

We are just back from the Baltic on the KDam in an inside cabin. Some of our friends think we are crazy for booking an inside and not a veranda. We have had both types of cabins but depending on the cruise are usually happy with an inside.

The cabin was small but very adequate for this cruise since it was so port intensive. Very impressed with the amount of storage. We kept a nightlight in the bathroom outlet. There was enough light from the door to help us to the bathroom at night. Shower was great. Also liked we could see what was happening at the bow and aft with the TV on.

One of the big negatives for us on this ship was the food in the dining room. It was never hot, always just warm. Plates weren't even hot. We found the Lido to be much better.

Other than that, we really enjoyed the ship. Hope this helps.

We sailed on the KDam on the christening cruise for 3 weeks in an inside cabin midship and really liked it. As has been indicated, the room is really small, but we were almost never there except to sleep. I loved the multiple USB ports for charging devices, and the shower was huge. Bow and Stern cameras hadn't been installed yet, but were after we left the ship. That would have made the room totally perfect.

Tomorrow we board the Maasdam for 52 days in an inside cabin.

We've always booked an inside cabin as we spend little time in there other then to sleep & change. If at sea we are out at the pool or on a deck chair. Also the money we save we spend on another cruise. Our inside cabins where bigger then friends who had an out side or balcony cabin. Either way enjoy your cruise.

Allan