Pilows - bring my own or are they OK on Anthem

BDL

We are sailing on Anthem next Thursday and am debating packing my own pillow again. The pillows on the last many cruises have been flat hard and worthless. I either pack my own or if I'm sailing with my mother who lives in Florida we take a few from her house aboard.

We're in a JS and from what I hear there is a 'pillow menu'. Does anyone have experience with any of the pillows on Anthem lately? Your thoughts? My daughter and I are each flying into NYC so we'd have to pack them in a suitcase so if the pillows are really OK I won't bother.

Thanks,

Barb

For one week, you can "make do"...

Interesting response - but you don't know me. The reason I am asking and the reason I've been bringing my own the last 4 or 5 cruises is because I was unable to 'make do'.

Had a JS in March on Anthem and I needed 3 pillows to try to get comfortable. I'd say bring your own if you really want to be comfortable. I'd bring mine but it's too heavy to lug with me. I'm prepared to not sleep well for two weeks when I board in a couple of weeks. But I can nap if I want to during the day so I'll be okay.

Have a great cruise!

Susan

Interesting response - but you don't know me. The reason I am asking and the reason I've been bringing my own the last 4 or 5 cruises is because I was unable to 'make do'.

Ignore her - she only responds to get her post count up. She posts useless information on almost every post!

I would bring mine if I had room to pack it, but I can usually make it with the two or three they put on the bed. Bring some sleeping pills with you and it won't matter if you have your pillow or not.:D

I don't know if JS gets the pillow menu. I forgot my pillow so asked for one feather pillow as soon as I saw my steward. He said he was doubtful he could get them as there were few, but two were in my room later that evening. Ask right away.

The standard pillows were very firm, along with the bed...

Edited by marci22

Had a JS in March on Anthem and I needed 3 pillows to try to get comfortable. I'd say bring your own if you really want to be comfortable. I'd bring mine but it's too heavy to lug with me. I'm prepared to not sleep well for two weeks when I board in a couple of weeks. But I can nap if I want to during the day so I'll be okay.

Have a great cruise!

Susan

Thanks - I have one that is a lot lighter than my normal pillow but still gives my neck good support. I think I'll pack it. I get two free bags on United so I plan on bringing two bags! We're spending 5 nights in NYC before the cruise - I can't pack in one suitcase for two weeks!

Looks like we'll be getting off the ship when you're getting on.. have a great time!

Barb

I don't know if JS gets the pillow menu. I forgot my pillow so asked for one feather pillow as soon as I saw my steward. He said he was doubtful he could get them as there were few, but two were in my room later that evening. Ask right away.

The standard pillows were very firm, along with the bed...

When I got the call for the upsell (from D7 to JS) one of the perks they said was there would be a pillow menu. That along with the huge balcony, bathtub, pillow top mattress and Coastal Kitchen dinners were also mentioned.

My daughter has decided she doesn't have room for her pillow so we will be checking them out as soon as we board.

The pillows are pretty useless. Really thin and tiny. I wonder if an inflatable one would work? I haven't looked or tried one but I just thought of it. Anyone found something useful? We are in a suite next cruise and have the "pillow menu" so not an issue but last cruise it was miserable.

When I got the call for the upsell (from D7 to JS) one of the perks they said was there would be a pillow menu. That along with the huge balcony, bathtub, pillow top mattress and Coastal Kitchen dinners were also mentioned.

Interesting- my mattress was certainly not pillow top. I did write a letter questioning the "upgraded bedding" and am awaiting their reply.

I would bring mine if I had room to pack it, but I can usually make it with the two or three they put on the bed. Bring some sleeping pills with you and it won't matter if you have your pillow or not.:D

LOL - Between that and the Premium drink package I should sleep very well!

Interesting- my mattress was certainly not pillow top. I did write a letter questioning the "upgraded bedding" and am awaiting their reply.

That would really tick me off since it's one of the reasons I did the upsell. I have to admit the 160 ft balcony with loungers is what really did it for me. I spend a lot of time enjoying my balcony.

We are sailing on Anthem next Thursday and am debating packing my own pillow again. The pillows on the last many cruises have been flat hard and worthless. I either pack my own or if I'm sailing with my mother who lives in Florida we take a few from her house aboard.

We're in a JS and from what I hear there is a 'pillow menu'. Does anyone have experience with any of the pillows on Anthem lately? Your thoughts? My daughter and I are each flying into NYC so we'd have to pack them in a suitcase so if the pillows are really OK I won't bother.

Thanks,

Barb

I always bring my own pillow, I put it in a large space bag after you squeeze the air out it will be flat enough to fit in your suitcase.

I always bring my own pillow, I put it in a large space bag after you squeeze the air out it will be flat enough to fit in your suitcase.

That's a great idea! I have a few with winter clothes in them. I can use one of them.

Thank you.

Quick suggestion if you are going to pack a pillow. Go to somewhere like Bed Bath and Beyond and buy one of those bags that you put stuff in and then vacuum all the air out. We have done this on numerous trips when going by plane and it works a treat. You can even get bags that you put items in, seal one end and then you slowly roll it tightly while all the air is forced out of a valve at the other end. You end up with a package that is probably a quarter the original size if not smaller

Anyway, we are on Navigator at Christmas and will be bringing our own pillows. Only place I have stayed that had good pillows was the Luxor hotel in Vegas back in 2001, since then its been sore necks and sleepless nights!

The mattress in our non-suite balcony on Navigator was like cement.

Fortunately I had seen a post warning about the "new" mattresses and when we got to FLL we went to Walmart and bought a 4" king size gel topper. We left it when the cruise was done, but that was 51 nights of sleeping in comfort.

We'll be on Navigator again in November so will need to find a topper in Southampton this time.

I would love to know if you get a reply.

Edited by SPacificbound

Diddo, we always take two of our older pillows in the space bags and vacuum out the air and they fit fine in the suite case. We usually leave the pillows behind after the cruise and just bring home the pillow cases.

BINGO, that's what I do since I always carry my own pillow. I have even found that since it is 100% goose down, I don't even always have to put it in a space bag. I just put it in last and it compresses down....down, ha, ha.:D

This packing idea works well...my space bags use a vacuum hose type to take the air out....when you're ready to disembark just ask your cabin steward and he will bring in his vacuum for you to use ;)

The mattress in our non-suite balcony on Navigator was like cement.

Fortunately I had seen a post warning about the "new" mattresses and when we got to FLL we went to Walmart and bought a 4" king size gel topper. We left it when the cruise was done, but that was 51 nights of sleeping in comfort.

We'll be on Navigator again in November so will need to find a topper in Southampton this time.

I would love to know if you get a reply.

I booked two JS (on Anthem) specifically because of the beds issue. I am guessing that the beds we had were the same as any other beds on the ship: hard. This was very disappointing. My 20's son came to me on the second night and said, "I think there is something wrong with my mattress, I keep waking up with bad back pain". The concierge heard us discussing it at one point, and called housekeeping to add duvets to the bed.

I am also curious to see what they will tell me.

Edited by marci22

My daughter has decided she doesn't have room for her pillow so we will be checking them out as soon as we board.

We were in a FJS for the entire month of April and we did not get a pillow menu and it was definitely not a pillow top mattress that we slept on.:eek:

I booked two JS (on Anthem) specifically because of the beds issue. I am guessing that the beds we had were the same as any other beds on the ship: hard. This was very disappointing. My 20's son came to me on the second night and said, "I think there is something wrong with my mattress, I keep waking up with bad back pain". The concierge heard us discussing it at one point, and called housekeeping to add duvets to the bed.

I am also curious to see what they will tell me.

That is exactly what our cabin attendant did. Had to add 2 duvets which made sleeping slightly better.

Edited by cruisenfever

Thanks,

Barb

When we sailed in July, we had 2 types of pillows on the bed - both pretty comfy used in combination with each other. That being said, I was still happy I brought my own.

Thanks,

Barb

This is no pillow menu for the JS. Have sailed Anthem in Spa JS's and find the pillows to be fine.....K.O. :)