Should I buy travel insurance for a 5k cruise?

oceaniacruiserri

My TA recommended chuck@insuremyluxurytravel.com and he saved me a bundle. I was about to get MedJet Assist and he pointed out that I had this coverage on two policies I already had for cruises coming up. He also quoted me rates that were much better than I have been paying.

Check with him, he knows plenty about insurance.

I am guessing he is wrong

Medjet assist is the ONLY policy that lets YOU choose what hospital you go to. I doubt ur other policies allow that

Btw medjet assist is not an insurance policy. It is an evacuation policy only.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Any one know of insurance that you can cancel for ANY reason? I know that I once went to vacation to Hawaii a package deal of air and hotel and they offer insurance that I could cancel for any reason. It was expensive but it was available. When it come to a cruise can I buy something like that? If yes what is the company that offer that?

Any one know of insurance that you can cancel for ANY reason? I know that I once went to vacation to Hawaii a package deal of air and hotel and they offer insurance that I could cancel for any reason. It was expensive but it was available. When it come to a cruise can I buy something like that? If yes what is the company that offer that?

Any reason before the cruise leave

you can check "insure my trip" or insurance store for policies BUT

read the fine print

most CFAR policies will only pay 75-80% of the costs

We purchased the insurance, and 3 days before cruise my brother in law had major stroke. We had to cancel figuring we were going to attend a funeral. He survived, but we recovered all our costs through the insurance.

At our age, traveling outside the states, we wouldn't go without insurance. Just our preference. Would prefer to purchase the insurance and not have to use it. But when we did, it paid us back.

Paul what policy do you have. Most Geo Blue plans require a primary plan (not Medicare)

Paul,

Just returned from a cruise and called GeoBlue.

I was assured that Medicare (Part C) DOES count as a primary plan for my Trekker Choice GeoBlue plan. No additional primary plan required.

Good to know.

Paul,

Just returned from a cruise and called GeoBlue.

I was assured that Medicare (Part C) DOES count as a primary plan for my Trekker Choice GeoBlue plan. No additional primary plan required.

Good to know.

I believe Geoblue is dancing around the edges a bit with that answer-

Medicare may fit their definition of a primary plan, but we all know that Medicare does not come into play outside of the United States.

If the incident occurs abroad, is GeoBlue going to cover it alone?

As a Canadian, and never travelling without private insurance for health care outside Canada, I have become even more diligent about reading insurance policies after having to be hospitalized in FL last Jan.

My 36 hours in the hospital for rapid atrial fib, came with a bill of $43,000. That was for no treatment other than medication, and many tests. My insurance paid it all to the hospital.

I am sure the bill was negotiated downward, as I hear it can be, but still, when I read of US Citizens with $100,000 medical coverage( as I read someone has) for out of country, I cringe.

I doubt medical costs anywhere else in the world are as high as in the US, but still $100,000 isn't much if my 1.5 days cost $43,000! My policy was for $5,000,000.

When on an Oceania cruise in May- June, I asked many Americans that I met about whether they purchase health care insurance for while outside the US. I was VERY surprised to hear several state that Medicare would cover them. I said I somehow doubted that, as why would the government pay for health care outside the US once you were a senior(and more likely to have health problems), when not all US citizens have health care in the first place.

They were adamant that they were covered. I did plant a seed of doubt in one couple, and only met one couple who said they bought a policy for outside the US.

I came home and googled Medicare and from what I read, US citizens are not covered while out of country. Is that what your previous post is saying as well?

Inquiring minds want to know!

I believe Geoblue is dancing around the edges a bit with that answer-

Medicare may fit their definition of a primary plan, but we all know that Medicare does not come into play outside of the United States.

If the incident occurs abroad, is GeoBlue going to cover it alone?

Yes.

For incidents outside of US GeoBlue will act as primary since Medicare will not cover.

But most geo blue annual policies (like the one we have) have relatively low coverage limits and that limit gets lower as you age. That's why it's advisable to have other insurance on top of geoblue that covers you overseas and has higher limits

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by bitob

As a Canadian, and never travelling without private insurance for health care outside Canada, I have become even more diligent about reading insurance policies after having to be hospitalized in FL last Jan.

My 36 hours in the hospital for rapid atrial fib, came with a bill of $43,000. That was for no treatment other than medication, and many tests. My insurance paid it all to the hospital.

I am sure the bill was negotiated downward, as I hear it can be, but still, when I read of US Citizens with $100,000 medical coverage( as I read someone has) for out of country, I cringe.

I doubt medical costs anywhere else in the world are as high as in the US, but still $100,000 isn't much if my 1.5 days cost $43,000! My policy was for $5,000,000.

When on an Oceania cruise in May- June, I asked many Americans that I met about whether they purchase health care insurance for while outside the US. I was VERY surprised to hear several state that Medicare would cover them. I said I somehow doubted that, as why would the government pay for health care outside the US once you were a senior(and more likely to have health problems), when not all US citizens have health care in the first place.

They were adamant that they were covered. I did plant a seed of doubt in one couple, and only met one couple who said they bought a policy for outside the US.

I came home and googled Medicare and from what I read, US citizens are not covered while out of country. Is that what your previous post is saying as well?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Many Medigap and MedAdvantage plans have coverage for foreign travel medical emergencies. They are generally limited below $50k. DH's Medigap plan has coverage that I wouldn't be comfortable with...so I always buy an additional medical plan (Geoblu).

The plan I always buy does state that Medicare alone would qualify as having a primary policy...even though Medicare does not cover out of the country, and it doesn't require the Medigap.

I wonder if Geoblu would consider his Medigap foreign travel as primary if we had a claim? Inquiring minds want to know this one also!

It's always been a challenge buying foreign medical for us. I have lousy out of the country coverage with my employer, so I want a high $ coverage and a deductilble I can live with. DH, with his Medigap coverage would probably be best with as high as deductible as they offer and also a high $ coverage. When I price Geoblu out as two single plans or as a couple just picking a middle deductible, it usually comes out best buying the plan as a couple.

Edited by buggins0402

And another word of caution: we had purchased addl insurance for one of our trips, and unfortunately didn't catch the clause in the policy that Medicare would be primary, with the ins company picking up excess. At the time, we didn't realize Medicare didn't cover anything outside of the US. Fortunately Marianne's bill wasn't outrageous, so she was able to cover it.

Needless to say, we have been extremely cautious in picking our preferred insurance company for travel, as they become the primary!

Donna

And another word of caution: we had purchased addl insurance for one of our trips' date=' and unfortunately didn't catch the clause in the policy that Medicare would be primary, with the ins company picking up excess. At the time, we didn't realize Medicare didn't cover anything outside of the US. Fortunately Marianne's bill wasn't outrageous, so she was able to cover it.

Needless to say, we have been extremely cautious in picking our preferred insurance company for travel, as they become the primary!

Donna[/quote']

May I ask what was the company for the additional insurance.

If they pick up only "the excess" and Medicare didn't cover anything then wouldn't everything come under "excess"?

And another word of caution: we had purchased addl insurance for one of our trips' date=' and unfortunately didn't catch the clause in the policy that Medicare would be primary, with the ins company picking up excess. At the time, we didn't realize Medicare didn't cover anything outside of the US. Fortunately Marianne's bill wasn't outrageous, so she was able to cover it.

Donna[/quote']

Just curious

after you are disallowed by Medicare does the insurance not pick up the uncovered amount ?

I know here we have to submit it to the Provincial health provider & what they do not cover we submit the balance to the insurance company for the rest of the charges

Lyn

with Medipac (Canadian Snowbird Association insurance) AND with Allianz (TD's insurance) we call them first (if able), and they contact the hospital before we even get there, and we don't have to submit anything...it is all looked after.

We DO get bills from a lab, sometimes MONTHS later, and we just send it on to the insurance company.

with Medipac (Canadian Snowbird Association insurance) AND with Allianz (TD's insurance) we call them first (if able), and they contact the hospital before we even get there, and we don't have to submit anything...it is all looked after.

We DO get bills from a lab, sometimes MONTHS later, and we just send it on to the insurance company.

Thanks Marian

will check them out

I think Manulife may work the same if we call in advance for a big bill

I usually just by cancellation/interruption ins

Lyn