CCL Stock was down 5% today . . .

dsotm73

CHEAPIES correct. CCL is really a rather lousy stock, especially compared to RCL. But if you are a constant cruiser doing 14 day cruises or longer worthwhile, think Princess. Then stick it in a Roth and forget about it till next longer cruise. Remember it takes 100 shares. Not an insegnificant investment.

Carnival stock has a higher dividend yield than Royals.

Carnival stock can be used across more brands than Royal.

Carnival stock benefit is not excluded when there are sales or other stacking promotions, like always seems to be the case with Royals.

Both are better than NCL's lousy stock which pays no dividends at all.

We bought years ago when it was approx $30 per share and have gotten over $1,500 in OBC already plus the dividends so we're way ahead 😜

The stock will rebound off this drop in no time just like it always does

. . . so I used the opportunity to buy my 100 shares. The dividend payout is good and enhanced by the OBC once or twice a year.

Carnival Corp (NYSE:CCL) stock was down on Friday following an update from Morgan Stanley analysts.

Morgan Stanley lowered its rating for cruise company Carnival from “Equal Weight” to “Underweight.” It also decreased its target price for the company to $48. This is a $6 drop, or 11%, from its old target price of $54.

According to TheStreet.com, which has a “Buy” rating for CCL, Morgan Stanley lowered its target price and rating due to a lower interest in cruises in August. The Doral, Fla.-based company also saw cruise prices decline during that time.

I noticed that yesterday too. I read on Marketwatch that sluggish sales, incentives, and Zika are factors.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/carnival-downgraded-at-morgan-stanley-as-booking-trends-weaken-zika-virus-raises-concerns-2016-09-02

CCL has been underperforming the S&P this year and for the last 12 months. That doesn't say much for the changes Carnival has been making lately. Maybe all the cost cutting they're continuing to do is affecting sales too.

I'm not concerned about the recent drop though. I've had my CCL shares for years. I purchased this stock as a buy and hold.

Well at a minimum you would pay $28 since you are buying x 2, selling x 2. You also are short selling so you are essentially taking a loan and must pay for that (albeit a short time if you move in and out quickly). Also if the broker does not have a large supply of stock to short they will charge you a hard to find fee. So there are more costs involved.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No , If I buy 1 share or 25,000 shares , It is a flat $7 fee ... When I sell the shares it is the same just $7 and I am not on margin ... cash account so In and out total is $ 14 .no commission's

No , If I buy 1 share or 25,000 shares , It is a flat $7 fee ... When I sell the shares it is the same just $7 and I am not on margin ... cash account so In and out total is $ 14 .no commission's

But you responded to my post talking about opening both sides of a trade. The post wasn't about just buying shares of stock but rather buying and at the same time shorting shares of the stock. So the cost of the obc was the fees for both sides of the trade opened/closed and you indeed would have a margin account to do that.

People are free to buy shares of Ccl but to call it a good investment is a false statement. Maybe if you bought at the IPO price but it has lagged the markets for a decade and you would come out ahead by simply investing in a market fund. Even factoring the obc which can only be used on items priced above market price after spending hundreds or thousands or dollars on a cruise. If you can show a way to get the obc without paying for a cruise than that would change the math.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Our Carnival stock is a teeny tiny portion of our investment portfolio.

I would never tell someone to buy it if they are truly looking for a way to plan for their future retirement!

For us the OBC is just a nice perk.

This drop could be looked at as an opportunity to buy but not as a signal to panic and sell!

Most people make that sort of mistake . They buy high and sell when the stock goes down which is just the opposite of what one should do!

Carnival stock has a higher dividend yield than Royals.

Carnival stock can be used across more brands than Royal.

Carnival stock benefit is not excluded when there are sales or other stacking promotions, like always seems to be the case with Royals.

Both are better than NCL's lousy stock which pays no dividends at all.

Royal places more restrictions on shareholder OBC. One of the reasons those in the highest loyalty levels dump their stock.

Carnival is having to rebuild a marina in Italy and replace a few boats. Stock will rebound after that. A fruit basket won't cover this event. ;)

Maybe a fruit basket and chocolate covered cherries? They probably won't go for a cannoli either

Sent from my iPhone

Maybe a fruit basket and chocolate covered cherries? They probably won't go for a cannoli either

Sent from my iPhone

Maybe $250,000-$300,000 total damages. If there was a local pilot on the ship, Carnival might not be fully liable. Fruit baskets and chocolate covered strawberries should be more than sufficient.

Maybe $250,000-$300,000 total damages. If there was a local pilot on the ship, Carnival might not be fully liable. Fruit baskets and chocolate covered strawberries should be more than sufficient.

Having seen the area when we were there on the Vista, it does make one wonder on the logic of putting a marina (it was pretty small, not sure I would even call it that) directly behind where a cruise ship docks.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Having seen the area when we were there on the Vista, it does make one wonder on the logic of putting a marina (it was pretty small, not sure I would even call it that) directly behind where a cruise ship docks.

Doesn't look that small on Google Maps to me. It has dockage for 145 boats and can accommodate yachts to 150 feet in length at some portions. So it's definitely a marina.

I think the power of these new cruise ships; Carnival is not alone here, is causing issues for existing infrastructure.

Edited by LMaxwell

Doesn't look that small on Google Maps to me. It has dockage for 145 boats and can accommodate yachts to 150 feet in length at some portions. So it's definitely a marina.

I think the power of these new cruise ships; Carnival is not alone here, is causing issues for existing infrastructure.

I might be wrong, but watching the video it happened deep in the basin and not where the "true" marina is (they would pass it on their way out but should be moving right along by then. At least that is what I recall, I might even have pics, I will look.

In reference to your comment on the power, it was impressive. Of course the Vista only has thrusters in the fore section and uses the adipose in the aft, but still impressive (might have something to do with the ducktail as well.

Purchased our stock in 2004 at around $25 a share. Since then the value has doubled, we have gone on enough cruises to recoup the entire $2,500 outlay in onboard credit, PLUS we will continue to receive the OBC as we have 3 more cruises booked. In addition, we get the dividends. As others have said, this is a small portion of our retirement investment (mostly real estate), but a very productive one for us and it was always our position to buy, hold and transfer to son when we pass.

Not for everyone, but it works for us.

The lousiness of a stock depends on the price when purchased...I paid about $25/share when the markets crashed....it is worth almost double that now :)

Yup... my daddy always said, 'if you buy right, you can always sell right.' I bought at $30, and after reviewing the history of the stock thought it was a decent price. I've enjoyed being a stockholder.