CCL Stock was down 5% today . . .

dsotm73

. . . so I used the opportunity to buy my 100 shares. The dividend payout is good and enhanced by the OBC once or twice a year.

Carnival Corp (NYSE:CCL) stock was down on Friday following an update from Morgan Stanley analysts.

Morgan Stanley lowered its rating for cruise company Carnival from “Equal Weight” to “Underweight.” It also decreased its target price for the company to $48. This is a $6 drop, or 11%, from its old target price of $54.

According to TheStreet.com, which has a “Buy” rating for CCL, Morgan Stanley lowered its target price and rating due to a lower interest in cruises in August. The Doral, Fla.-based company also saw cruise prices decline during that time.

Edited by dsotm73

. . . so I used the opportunity to buy my 100 shares. The dividend payout is good and enhanced by the OBC once or twice a year.

Carnival Corp (NYSE:CCL) stock was down on Friday following an update from Morgan Stanley analysts.

Morgan Stanley lowered its rating for cruise company Carnival from “Equal Weight” to “Underweight.” It also decreased its target price for the company to $48. This is a $6 drop, or 11%, from its old target price of $54.

According to TheStreet.com, which has a “Buy” rating for CCL, Morgan Stanley lowered its target price and rating due to a lower interest in cruises in August. The Doral, Fla.-based company also saw cruise prices decline during that time.

Still wish I bought more when it was really down

Sent from my iPhone

CCL stock goes up and down with quite drastic swings.

If you are happy that you bought it, then that's what is important. However, individuals need to understand the risk/rewards and make the personal decisions themselves.

CCL stock goes up and down with quite drastic swings.

If you are happy that you bought it, then that's what is important. However, individuals need to understand the risk/rewards and make the personal decisions themselves.

As with any venture into the market.

Sent from my iPhone

For sure. I had already made up my mind to buy some prior to my next sailing, so the minor correction presented an opportunity. That's not to say that it won't go down further in the short term, but, yeah, I'm happy with the decision. Very small portion of my investments and the dividend rate is higher than a CD.

I paid $48 and change for 100 shares. Since I bought it I have received $500 OBC so far and have 2 more cruises to clam the OBC for. That makes $700 in less then 2 years. So It lost 5% last week I still make money in OBC. I lover it and wish they would offer additional rewards for 200 shares. I would buy as soon as they offered it.

Edited by woodman
spelling

Can I ask what the on board credit is for stock ownership?

I wouldn't normally buy stocks like this, based only on dividend, yield, and growth. But now I'm wondering if a the OBC for 100 shares would offset the difference in performance.

*Edit* Never mind found it on google. It's $100 for a seven day cruise from what i saw.

Edited by Domino D

Stock credit depends on the length of cruise. Varies from

$50 to $250. http://phx.corporate-ir.net/External.File?item=UGFyZW50SUQ9Mjc0MjIzfENoaWxkSUQ9LTF8VHlwZT0z&t=1

Definitely not worth buying for only the obc. Carnival's stock has under performed the market for a period of time. Even if you are even before taking into account obc you have to take the opportunity cost into account. Carnival stock has underperformed the stock market. Using today's closing price of 46.xx from 10 years ago 41.xx gives you a return of 10%. By contrast the Nasdaq had returned over 205% in the same time frame. So the $41xx you invested in carnival would be worth $46xx. Has you invested that same $4100 in a QQQ or an index fund you would have over $8200 (you also would have earned dividends for both carnival and the index fund/QQQ. This year that would be about $140 for Carnival and $90 for QQQ) It would take a lot of cruises to make that back. ( and obc only can be used on products/services that are inflated in price on Board).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

CHEAPIES correct. CCL is really a rather lousy stock, especially compared to RCL. But if you are a constant cruiser doing 14 day cruises or longer worthwhile, think Princess. Then stick it in a Roth and forget about it till next longer cruise. Remember it takes 100 shares. Not an insegnificant investment.

Edited by zoncom

Definitely not worth buying for only the obc.

Yeah, no offense to anyone, but I tend to agree. There are plenty of investments where earnings will outpace the OBC component. If you like your CCL investment I'm happy for you, it's just not for me.

At a 100 shares how much does a dividend payout if you don't mind my asking?

New to the whole stock market/buying shares thing. Reading a lot and trying to learn more

I believe the current dividend is 35 cents per share per quarter ... $140/year for100 shares.

Stock credit depends on the length of cruise. Varies from

$50 to $250. http://phx.corporate-ir.net/External.File?item=UGFyZW50SUQ9Mjc0MjIzfENoaWxkSUQ9LTF8VHlwZT0z&t=1

Definitely not worth buying for only the obc. Carnival's stock has under performed the market for a period of time. Even if you are even before taking into account obc you have to take the opportunity cost into account. Carnival stock has underperformed the stock market. Using today's closing price of 46.xx from 10 years ago 41.xx gives you a return of 10%. By contrast the Nasdaq had returned over 205% in the same time frame. So the $41xx you invested in carnival would be worth $46xx. Has you invested that same $4100 in a QQQ or an index fund you would have over $8200 (you also would have earned dividends for both carnival and the index fund/QQQ. This year that would be about $140 for Carnival and $90 for QQQ) It would take a lot of cruises to make that back. ( and obc only can be used on products/services that are inflated in price on Board).

Dead on. The product of logic and reason over hype and glitter. So refreshing and uncommon these days. :)

I guess the other option is to play both sides of the equation. If you have 2 brokerage accounts you could buy 100 shares while simultaneously shorting 100 shares. You would be out the commission both directions so it would only make sense

on a 14 day cruise.

Once you get the confirmation of the buy you could close both positions. So depending on commission and margin rates you would probably pay $50-$75 in fees to buy $250 in obc.

Edited by CheapieD

I guess the other option is to play both sides of the equation. If you have 2 brokerage accounts you could buy 100 shares while simultaneously shorting 100 shares. You would be out the commission both directions so it would only make sense

on a 14 day cruise.

Once you get the confirmation of the buy you could close both positions. So depending on commission and margin rates you would probably pay $50-$75 in fees to buy $250 in o

If you are paying 50-75 dollars to buy /sell that is high , I pay $7 to buy $7 to sell with Scottrade ,unlimited number of shares

If you are paying 50-75 dollars to buy /sell that is high , I pay $7 to buy $7 to sell with Scottrade ,unlimited number of shares

Well at a minimum you would pay $28 since you are buying x 2, selling x 2. You also are short selling so you are essentially taking a loan and must pay for that (albeit a short time if you move in and out quickly). Also if the broker does not have a large supply of stock to short they will charge you a hard to find fee. So there are more costs involved.

If I bought a 100 shares on Tuesday, will I be able to use it on my January cruise? We are also sailing B2B, do we get $100 on each leg?

Yes, you'll need to submit your request for OBC twice (once for each leg), as it is considered two separate cruises. There is no limit to how many times the credit can be used in a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk