I don't know which line to choose!

ldlewis45

Where do your parents live? There are so many ways to dress to stay warm and dry that even I can tolerate cold weather ;) :eek: :)

I am surprised your answer wasn't to create three interconnecting circles with different priorities in them and see which line matches up best :)

Yea - I am curious where the parents live also, I am guessing FL at this point.

Edited by Coral

They're actually in Tennessee, but my mom is always complaining about how cold it is from fall-spring! She doesn't layer clothing well, also, which adds to issues in the winter. My dad tolerates cold weather better, but my mom's solution is to just stay inside.

Edited by ldlewis45

OP there are LOADS of tips on this board and the cruise fashion board for what to wear, how to layer, that may help your mom adjust to the idea of coping with chilly weather. And there are things like disposable hand warmers, and wool/silk blend socks, and silk long underwear.

You are going in 2017? You have lots of time to help her learn. For me, it changed my life. I still don't like COLD weather, but now I am fine with cool weather. Alaska during cruise season is not Arctic cold, but can be chilly. And it is a great reason to own a cashmere sweater and a lightweight down filled sweater ;)

We've been mostly Carnival cruisers up until now and my wife wanted to do Alaska for our anniversary next year (September 2017).

Our main considerations were: RT out of Seattle and Glacier Bay. While we enjoy Carnival, and looked at Princes and HAL, we ultimately booked a balcony on HAL because of the price, OBC from our TA and most of all, Glacier Bay.

I recommend an aft suite on Princess. Aft covered balconies are sheltered from the wind, rain, or sun. Your mom could get an extra blanket or two from room steward and cuddle up on a lounger to enjoy the scenery and wildlife following in the wake of the ship. She could take a hot pad (and extension cord) to keep her feet warm. Or order a couple pots of hot water to fill a hot water bottle. She can order hot chocolate, tea, or coffee from room service. Snuggled warm on your private balcony is a great way to enjoy Glacier Bay.

She can also take a few of the one-time-use handwarmers used by outdoorsmen.

The aft Vista Suites are the cheapest and favorites of many Princess cruisers.

I don't cruise on Hal (bad cruise experience) so don't know if Hal has aft suites.

HAL Eurodam 8/19 RT out of Seattle was my second choice for a cruise next summer.

It has Glacier Bay and Sitka.

Itinerary is supposed to be the top consideration for an Alaska cruise, I wanted Sitka.

HAL seems pretty good. Glacier Bay is most peoples #1 choice.

I have sympathy for your Mom because I am a cold person too- best thing is to keep from getting chilled because being chilled is painful and hard for me to warm up.

Smartwool socks are wonderful and not itchy. https://www.rei.com/product/604587/smartwool-hiking-socks

Lightweight capilene as a base layer is great.

Cashmere sweater is wonderful. I buy high quality mens cardigans off eBay.

So a capilene base layer, then a cashmere or polartec fleece layer and then a rain jacket.

Sheepskin slippers for the cabin and a fleece robe.

A polartec fleece hat.

polartec fleece socks to wear at night.

lightweight gloves. https://www.rei.com/product/102790/rei-liner-gloves

Anything she doesn't have could be a Christmas gift and make the winter more bearable in addition to the cruise.

(I decided on Oceania Regatta 8/14, mostly for the food .When I described the food to my adult son he switched from lukewarm to definitely interested in coming with us!)

I think she'll like it, too, but the biggest problem will be getting her on the ship! She doesn't even like looking at "cold" scenery, since she says it makes her feel cold. She's still trying to get out of it by saying that she'll send my dad with me on this one and then make me take her on a warm trip, lol.

Book the cruise for 3 people, but be prepared to drop your mom unless she changes her mind without feeling pressure from you or your dad. However, it's no fun to travel with a person who really doesn't want to go on the trip! I would let her choose the warm trip (perhaps on Carnival) and book that for the two of you.