Zika Virus Impact to Pricing?

Crusin'Cousins

Thus far, it doesn't seem that the Zika virus has had much of an impact on cruise pricing in the Caribbean... Is that a fairly common assumption?

If things continue to deteriorate and the virus becomes more widespread and moves more quickly, would one anticipate prices to decline? I'm think so, but curious to hear what others may be thinking...

Rather concerning!

Thus far' date=' it doesn't seem that the Zika virus has had much of an impact on cruise pricing in the Caribbean... Is that a fairly common assumption?

If things continue to deteriorate and the virus becomes more widespread and moves more quickly, would one anticipate prices to decline? I'm think so, but curious to hear what others may be thinking...

Rather concerning![/quote']

Prices are higher.

Thus far' date=' it doesn't seem that the Zika virus has had much of an impact on cruise pricing in the Caribbean... Is that a fairly common assumption?

Rather concerning![/quote']

No impact of demand. Why is this concerning????

If things continue to deteriorate and the virus becomes more widespread and moves more quickly' date=' would one anticipate prices to decline? I'm think so, but curious to hear what others may be thinking...

Rather concerning!

I don't think so.

This is actually a good thread. People sometimes stop taking cruises for the dumbest reasons. There are drops in bookings when a hurricane comes, a ship gets stuck somewhere, a public norovirus outbreak, etc.

So I would not be surprised if at some point it did impact bookings. Here in Miami the tourism is slightly affected but nothing major yet.

DH and I seriously considering canceling our January cruise because of Zika, though the price had risen to $750 more than we are paying for a balcony and balconies are now (or were the other day) showing as sold out. However, I am also in the camp of likely having children very soon, and with the exception of one port stop, all are impacted by Zika (San Juan in particular), and that would be the reason we cancel.

Seems to me that some irrational people see this as the next plague, while others see this as nothing more than a blip on the screen that will be resolved by modern science very soon.

Inconvienient? Yes

End of civilization as we know it? No

Seems to me that some irrational people see this as the next plague, while others see this as nothing more than a blip on the screen that will be resolved by modern science very soon.

Inconvienient? Yes

End of civilization as we know it? No

Telll that to the babies born to the mothers who have contracted zika.

Telll that to the babies born to the mothers who have contracted zika.

What's that got to do with consumer pricing?

Remember the Polio babies?

While a tragedy and a very big problem at the time, the world continued.

Guaranteed that the Zika virus will become a non issue in the near future, and also guaranteed that a new virus will take its place.

In the mean time, you and I will continue on our cruise vacations guaranteed to know that someday our time will come. And the cruise lines are not going to discount my cruise fare just because I'm closer to meeting my maker.

What's that got to do with consumer pricing?

Remember the Polio babies?

While a tragedy and a very big problem at the time, the world continued.

Guaranteed that the Zika virus will become a non issue in the near future, and also guaranteed that a new virus will take its place.

In the mean time, you and I will continue on our cruise vacations guaranteed to know that someday our time will come. And the cruise lines are not going to discount my cruise fare just because I'm closer to meeting my maker.

It has nothing to do with pricing. It does however have something to do with prospective mothers or pregnant women not cruisng where the virus is and using their heads not to cruise if worried.

Yes, this will pass , but I hardly would call it a non issue.

Edited by janpo

It has nothing to do with pricing. It does however have something to do with prospective mothers or pregnant women not cruisng where the virus is and using their heads not to cruise if worried.

Yes, this will pass , but I hardly would call it a non issue.

I'm sorry. You lost me.

This thread was started by someone not worried about moms and babies, but wondering how the Zika virus will affect pricing.

I posted "My Opinion" that it will not affect pricing.

Are you wanting to take the thread in another direction? If so, please feel free to start another thread

I'm sorry. You lost me.

This thread was started by someone not worried about moms and babies, but wondering how the Zika virus will affect pricing.

I posted "My Opinion" that it will not affect pricing.

Are you wanting to take the thread in another direction? If so, please feel free to start another thread

Hahaha..I find it hard to believe, " I lost you"

That's ok...the way you think is fine for you, but not for me.

I also posted my opinion, and don't care if you agree or not. No need to start another thread, unless you see the need to keep posting to me.

Edited by janpo

I think if anything, it will increase the price of Hawaii sailings as people move to travel there instead of the Caribbean. Caribbean prices may drop to attract customers, or they may hold steady (or increase) to offset lower passenger numbers.

Depends on the target demo of the cruise line. Lines that don't market towards families likely won't be impacted much.

I haven't been paying attention to the Caribbean prices, but it does seem like Bermuda prices are going up. Maybe there's no correlation, but I believe Bermuda is still Zika free. I've been to Bermuda three years in a row, and this year is the first time I haven't been able to get a free upgrade. Prices aren't dropping like they normally do. This could be because of FDR's pricing with the "free offers" though. Food for thought at least.

I'm sailing in 2 months from Puerto Rico, which is apparently becoming a hot zone and prices have been a good $200 over what I paid for a while now. I booked before all this hit the news....

It is past final payment and certain categories are sold out, so it does not look like many people have cancelled...

Zika has been around for 50 years and has never caused any more problems than a common cold does. This whole thing has been blown so far out its nuts! If you research it you'll find that the area in Brazil that has been infected has been heavily treated with pesticides and they released genetically modified mosquito's not long before the problems started showing up. Follow the money and you'll find big pharmaceuticals behind another world health crisis just like ebola that just seemed to disappear off the map.

I predicted between zika and the increased capacity with escape, harmony and other big ships this year , sailings out of FL would have last minute sales prices and lower prices soon, but so far, I'm totally wrong on predictions.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums