Shore Excursions South Pacific & nth NZ.

I have been a bit disappointed in the shore excursions on offer at Royal Caribbean. We are doing the 28th January, 2017, "Ovation of the Seas", to the South Pacific and the northern part of the north island of New Zealand.

I just saw another post and saw that there was a shuffle bus in Noumea. Does anyone know anything about this? I think I would just prefer to use the bus then walk around and see the town. Likewise, Mystery Island. The boat cruise round Bay of Islands sounds the best one but still not we were looking for. The Auckland ones, I don't know.

Does anyone have any advice for us? Hope so!

I have been a bit disappointed in the shore excursions on offer at Royal Caribbean. We are doing the 28th January, 2017, "Ovation of the Seas", to the South Pacific and the northern part of the north island of New Zealand.

I just saw another post and saw that there was a shuffle bus in Noumea. Does anyone know anything about this? I think I would just prefer to use the bus then walk around and see the town. Likewise, Mystery Island. The boat cruise round Bay of Islands sounds the best one but still not we were looking for. The Auckland ones, I don't know.

Does anyone have any advice for us? Hope so!

In Noumea the shuttle bus just takes you from the container wharf where you dock, to the terminal building. You are not allowed to walk through the container wharf so must take the shuttle bus, which should be free. Once at the terminal building you will be able to book local tours or buy a HoHo bus ticket. The Aquarium is excellent, and Anse Vatu and Lemon Bays are really pretty. There are good restaurants at the southern end of Lemon Bay, walking distance through a back street from the Aquarium. The main part of Noumea is a bit scruffy but worth having a quick look around. There are one or two HoHo stops in the town itself.

I haven't been to Mystery Island yet but I understand it's very small. No need to do an excursion there.

I assume the Bay Of Island boat cruise excursion is to the Hole in the Rock? It's an interesting trip. However if you don't want to do that I'd recommend spending some time at the Waitangi Treaty Grounds right next to where the tenders dock. There is a museum there. Also there should be shuttle buses around to Paihia. There may be a market at the park opposite where the shuttle bus stops. I also recommend taking the ferry across to Russell and, if you do, have lunch or a drink at the Duke of Marlborough pub which is the oldest licensed pub in NZ.

In Auckland you will dock right in the heart of the city, close to a HoHo bus stop, and close to the ferry terminal. There are two HoHo bus routes that interconnect. A short ferry ride will take you to Devonport which has some lovely old buildings, and is a great place for a coffee or lunch.

My friend is going on the Ovation in early January and they are tendering in Auckland so that should be interesting.

Are they? That will be interesting then. I wonder where the ship will anchor. The part of Auckland harbour between Devonport and the city is very busy at times. A large ship in the middle if that would cause chaos, and further out will mean a long tender ride.

When we use go to Noumea if the ship docks at the Commercial port we get the shuttle over to the cruise ship terminal and then purchase a HOHO bus ticket to go to the Bai de Citrons which incidentally is the only patrolled beach we have come across and is safe to swim with some shade. Other local tours are available and these can be purchased with AUD the price of these are generally much cheaper than you can get on the ship.

Its a good idea to get off the ship as soon as you can and for the return allow plenty of time to get back to the ship.

Mystery island is only about 1 - 2k long with an airstrip down the middle and takes around 45 minutes to walk around. Some local tours will be available and the ship will generally set up a bar on the island and the locals will have a market set up and freshly cooked lobster may also be available to purchase.

Essentially this island is a beach day with good snorkelling just be careful as one side of the island is prone to strong currents and when we were there in January there were blue bottles around

We have been there a few times and its a nice spot to visit.

For Bay of Islands we took the provided shuttle bus to Paihia, then caught the ferry to Russell. At the kiosk on the jetty we purchased a local tour of about 1 hour in a minibus. It was informative and we enjoyed it. Russell is a great little town and we have just booked to go and stay there for a week next year.

Also go to Ports of Call Forums

Then go to Aus/Nz and Pacific Islands threads.

Heaps of info.

That should keep you busy tonight.:)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com.au/forumdisplay.php?f=5[/quote

Very informative post. Thank you. As a first-time cruiser, any info is appreciated. Thanks to everyone and how I posted "shuffle bus instead of "shuttle" bus - senior moment.:cool:

Mystery Island is very small, no need for a ship's shorex, tenders to the island. Laying on the beach and/or swimming/ snorkelling or hiring kayak/sail boats are the only things you can really do there, although they do set up some market type stalls with some goods, clothes, food and drinks. We brought our own snorkel gear and it was a nice half day experience.:D

We have been to Mystery Island a few times. My husband normally takes a fishing trip with the locals for about $40 and has also gone on a couple of snorkelling trips with them I always have a massage which are from memory about $15 for 30 minutes.

When we in Santo recently one of the people we met said that there were glass bottomed canoes there for hire as well which would be great for those who don't snorkel.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We have been to Mystery Island a few times. My husband normally takes a fishing trip with the locals for about $40 and has also gone on a couple of snorkelling trips with them I always have a massage which are from memory about $15 for 30 minutes.

When we in Santo recently one of the people we met said that there were glass bottomed canoes there for hire as well which would be great for those who don't snorkel.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for this info, my hubby would be keen on a fishing trip with the locals. Do you know if payment is in local currency or would Aussie dollars be acceptable? Massage would be great too.

Edited by makawe
Added a sentence

Russell, Bay of Islands is nice to visit.

Pretty little town. Easy walk around. Visit the Pompallier Mission (French catholic mission and printery), Christ Church (oldest surviving church in NZ), Russell Museum. AND lunch at the Duke! Very nice day.

We have been to noumea a couple of times and have booked our own tours through "gateway tour noumea". Alfred and Genevieve are lovely hosts and offer a good range of tours. the last one we did was exceptional.

It was a ferry to escapade island where we had a lovely lunch at the resort. some of the less adventerous in our group swam in the resort pool, whilst the rest of us went snorkelling with the wild turtles that are in abundance around the island. It was one of the most memorable experiences I have ever had. We had our own snorkelling gear, but alfred does take spares.

I would highly recommend this tour to any one going to noumea and wanting something a little different.

Thanks for this info, my hubby would be keen on a fishing trip with the locals. Do you know if payment is in local currency or would Aussie dollars be acceptable? Massage would be great too.

On the several times we went to Mystery Island, AUD was accepted for tours, massages and market stall souvenirs.:) I have to mention that we have not been to the island for a couple of years, although I doubt that things will have changed regarding accepting AUD.

Just out of interest I went into the personalizer to see what excursions Princess are offering for Mystery Island....$115.00 for 1.5 hours of snorkelling.....would rather pay the locals less than half of that for the same thing. $40 for two hours of fishing with the locals for my hubby sounds like a great price to me.

Just out of interest I went into the personalizer to see what excursions Princess are offering for Mystery Island....$115.00 for 1.5 hours of snorkelling.....would rather pay the locals less than half of that for the same thing. $40 for two hours of fishing with the locals for my hubby sounds like a great price to me.

Sounds good, but I think the ship excursion guarantees that you wont be eaten by a shark. And of course will make it back for dinner.:rolleyes:

Sounds good, but I think the ship excursion guarantees that you wont be eaten by a shark. And of course will make it back for dinner.:rolleyes:

I think that the ship guarantees that they will wait for whatever is left of you IF you are eaten by a shark on their excursion ;)