No fresh squeezed OJ in N.A. Lido?

fann1sh

Just read a post by andrek dated August 3 that there's no fresh orange juice in the Lido, but

>>" I think you can still get it complimentary in the dining room for breakfast."

This may sound ridiculous, but...this tiny thing has me in a tizzy.

Not looking forward to Dad's reaction to the Other Sutff, which involves his imitation of a growling bear. :eek: He hates HAL's "regular" OJ.

What about room service? What about the Neptune lounge?

Anyone have any further information? Please?

Even wondering if there's something I'm allowed to schlep aboard he'll find acceptable.

Any replies get a thousand thanks in advance!

Edited by fann1sh

Just read a post by andrek dated August 3 that there's no fresh orange juice in the Lido, but

>>" I think you can still get it complimentary in the dining room for breakfast."

Not looking forward to Dad's reaction to the Other Sutff, which involves his imitation of a growling bear. :eek: He hates HAL's "regular" OJ.

Even wondering if there's something I'm allowed to schlep aboard he'll find acceptable.

Fresh squeezed OJ in the Neptune Lounge, Pinnacle Grill & MDR on the Westerdam in April/May.

Only did one room service for breakfast but I think it was and you can mark your room service for and request it.

I've never seen those areas without fresh squeezed oj on any cruise.

We had the cabin steward keep our fruit bowl full of oranges, so we had a fresh one every day. Slightly inconvenient but it became a nice daily ritual. They provide a knife, plate and napkin and it was pretty easy to peel them and each the sections whole - even got the extra fiber out of them that way.

Fresh squeezed OJ in the Neptune Lounge, Pinnacle Grill & MDR on the Westerdam in April/May.

Only did one room service for breakfast but I think it was and you can mark your room service for and request it.

I've never seen those areas without fresh squeezed oj on any cruise.

On Prinsendam T/A in Fall 2014 they still had fresh squeezed OJ in the Lido - but no visible juice machine as I saw on many previous HAL sailings. It was also clearly watered down: OJ does not come that thin out of an orange - I suspect they were tapering off. Since then, I have seen many posts lamenting lack of fresh OJ in MDR and Lido. I will confirm after February Westerdam sailing.

On Prinsendam T/A in Fall 2014 they still had fresh squeezed OJ in the Lido - but no visible juice machine as I saw on many previous HAL sailings. It was also clearly watered down: OJ does not come that thin out of an orange - I suspect they were tapering off. Since then, I have seen many posts lamenting lack of fresh OJ in MDR and Lido. I will confirm after February Westerdam sailing.

I believe the machines are now "behind the scenes" where you don't see them.

That was on the case on the P'dam, Westerdam & Maasdam if memory serves.

I asked and they said it was easier for the staff by putting them behind the scenes and not taking up space in the main public working area.

With the world wide orange crop continuing to decline due to citrus greening disease, I would expect freshly squeezed orange juice to either disappear completely from HAL's ships or become a chargeable beverage.

This year the Florida orange crop is expected to be its lowest in 65 years. Overall, the US orange production is expected to be down 18% from 2014/15, so I would expect that this may put upward pressure on orange prices. Demand is down though as more and more people stop drinking orange juice.

Off the Rotterdam's 2016 VOV: Since the Lido Restaurant's change to the Market Place concept, the machine used to make fresh squeezed OJ is out of sight. The OJ was, however, fresh squeezed both in my opinion and other guests whom I asked what they thought. The taste did vary somewhat some days, but I assumed this is because not all orange varieties have the exact same flavor.

HAL eliminated fresh squeezed OJ from the Lido on all of its ships (just one more cost saving cut back). It is still available in the MDR (at breakfast)....of at least it was available last month :(.

Hank

HAL eliminated fresh squeezed OJ from the Lido on all of its ships (just one more cost saving cut back). It is still available in the MDR (at breakfast)....of at least it was available last month :(.

Hank

Sorry, but I disagree.

The OJ that I had in the MDR was not as good as what I enjoyed in the Lido Restaurant.

I'm glad if your experience differed from mine.

Just off the Prinsendam - I don't know about the MDR but personally I found the stuff in the Lido horrible. It looked like orange juice but was clearly watered down and most days even didn't taste like juice. After a few days I gave up and had tomato juice instead. The lemonade was good, though, but also came in pitchers, just like the ice water and ice teas - no dispensers!

We had the cabin steward keep our fruit bowl full of oranges, so we had a fresh one every day. Slightly inconvenient but it became a nice daily ritual. They provide a knife, plate and napkin and it was pretty easy to peel them and each the sections whole - even got the extra fiber out of them that way.

Save yourself the trouble. Just ask for orange slices with breakfast in the MDR. We always got a quartered orange.

Sorry, but I disagree.

The OJ that I had in the MDR was not as good as what I enjoyed in the Lido Restaurant.

When did you last sail HAL? I have seen a number of posts confirming that there is no longer fresh squeezed OJ in the Lido - plus I find that Mr. Hlitner is generally well informed.

Do you think the difference in quality you experienced might have been from well mixed concentrate in Lido vs. shoddier stuff in MDR?

When did you last sail HAL? I have seen a number of posts confirming that there is no longer fresh squeezed OJ in the Lido - plus I find that Mr. Hlitner is generally well informed.

Do you think the difference in quality you experienced might have been from well mixed concentrate in Lido vs. shoddier stuff in MDR?

Is a sailing of July 20, 2016-August 24, 2016 recent enough?

If the OJ I drank in the Lido Restaurant was not fresh squeezed, then HAL is purchasing a product equal in quality to the top of the line of Florida Natural Orange Juice. There was pulp and, just as in fresh squeezed juice, of varying amounts from serving to serving. As I stated in a previous post, I particularly asked other guests of their opinion about the source of the juice. Why did I do this? Because I was aware of the recent comments about the juice as well as the egg mixture used to make scrambled eggs and omelets. I was aware of the negativity about the juice and egg mixture and wanted to determine this for myself.

I am offering an opinion about my experience and, obviously, my view differs from others.

HAL cruise product delivery inconsistency has been a major issue for me in recent years. One can no longer expect to receive the same cruise product on one HAL vessel that one received on another. I was told by a Senior Hotel Officer on the Rotterdam that Seattle is aware of this. Efforts are underway to correct this.

On the Rotterdam, I received the HAL cruise experience that I expected.

Edited by rkacruiser

Hank

It isn't a cost issue, it's a supplier issue.

Fresh oranges are hard to obtain, so the number in HAL stores are much less than before due to the shortage.

Sorry, but I disagree.

So, perhaps you are one of the folks who prefers canned/boxed OJ to the fresh squeezed stuff. But yes, our experience (including 79 HAL days since this past March) does differ from yours. But for those who prefer the OJ out of a can or box....then the Lido works just fine.

Hank

So, perhaps you are one of the folks who prefers canned/boxed OJ to the fresh squeezed stuff. But yes, our experience (including 79 HAL days since this past March) does differ from yours. But for those who prefer the OJ out of a can or box....then the Lido works just fine.

Hank

I know what I know. I know what others told me. I have attempted to share my recent experience.

I participated in the Behind the Scenes Tour on the Rotterdam whose director of the tour was Kees van Santeen, the Hotel Director. I regret that I forgot to ask him about this terribly pressing issue: is the Lido's OJ fresh squeezed or not?

I will not return to this thread.

I know what I know. I know what others told me. I have attempted to share my recent experience.

I participated in the Behind the Scenes Tour on the Rotterdam whose director of the tour was Kees van Santeen, the Hotel Director. I regret that I forgot to ask him about this terribly pressing issue: is the Lido's OJ fresh squeezed or not?

I am quite sure the little oj I had on the Westerdam Lido was fresh squeezed as well ;)

Glad to hear about the Rotterdam :)

And like you, I do know the difference since I fresh squeeze at home ;) on occasion.

It isn't a cost issue, it's a supplier issue.

Fresh oranges are hard to obtain, so the number in HAL stores are much less than before due to the shortage.

Totally agree and it's not just that - it's also... a quality issue. On one of our Prinsendam cruises, we thought the OJ tasted funny and were advised that the oranges they got were sour.

so they mixed it until they could get a new supply in Spain.

Once they got that, the OJ was very good.

It's not necessarily a cost cutting feature IMO (since it is still in certain venues) but a limited supply issue on some ships and cruises.

I do believe you have hit the nail on the proverbial head ;)

Understand your Father, nothing like fresh squeezed.. We had four orange trees, two grapefruit trees & one lemon tree at our house which is 1/2 mile from where we now live.. That is what I miss the most now in condo living..

But we either buy "Simply Orange" or squeeze our own.. Come down a day early & get Simply Orange in our local grocery stores.. They have No Pulp, High Pulp, or Med pulp..(Not from concentrate)

Not as good as the fresh off our trees but acceptable.. Or bring on board a small inexpensive hand squeezer & ask the steward to give you fresh oranges every day..

Under $9.00 at Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/New-Star-Foodservice-42863-Enameled/dp/B00KH9PZB8/ref=sr_1_2?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1473125233&sr=1-2&keywords=orange+squeezer

Ask for a sharp knife to cut the oranges or pack your own, but not in hand luggage..

Edited by serendipity1499

serendipity1499, we spend part of the winter in SW Florida, and have a small, cheap, but VERY good Black&Decker juicer via Amazon.

Get Minneolas/"honey bells" from FleaMasters in Fort Myers every weekend in season. Once you've tasted hand squeezed Minneolas, there's no going back, LOL!

We'll be in downtown Vancouver pre-cruise, without a nearby Publix - another thing I miss when we head back north.

In case you do return to this thread, perhaps you might let us know what you drink at home: it is as possible for someone to not be able to tell the difference between certain packaged OJ's and fresh squeezed as for so many others to be misinformed.

In case you do return to this thread, perhaps you might let us know what you drink at home: it is as possible for someone to not be able to tell the difference between certain packaged OJ's and fresh squeezed as for so many others to be misinformed.

For the 10 years I lived in California I bought 5 lb bags of Valencias at the farmers' market each week and squeezed my own. Can't get Valencias here in the mid-Atlantic, so I buy "not from concentrate" juice. Not as good, but better than concentrated.

On the NA last fall the juice I got in the Lido (not from the dispenser, but from the counter) was fresh squeezed - again, not as good as my own fresh-squeezed was, but better than the stuff in the dispenser, by far.