Northern Europe vs Mediterranean?

kfreder1

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

I'd do Northern Europe. The ports are personally very interesting to me, plus that cruise is on my bucket list.

This is a very subjective question that only you are able to answer based on your personal tastes.

Edited by VASOXFANN

We did Med almost a year ago and Northern this year.

Honestly I cannot compare them, they are way too different.

Be sure you do some research on the ports you would be visiting on each one, and decide what suits you better.

For full disclosure, I picked Med, DH picked Northern. But now I got to pick Med and Adriatic for next year. They are all good.

Have a blast whatever you decide. :)

Both great. Northern Europe tends to have a quieter ship. I went in June and enjoyed the fact the sun never seemed to set. It seemed most of the ship went to sleep by 11 so evening activities were quiet. I think it's because the tours are so intensive and long. After a full day and evening in Russia I was glad that i had only booked a short tour for the second day. Others did two very long days. The passengers were the most diverse I had met. It felt like we had people from every continent so that was really fun.

The med has a bit more lively crowd. Personally I enjoy visiting those ports for more than one day. Florence is so crowded when ships are in. When I visited on a cruise stop it was so busy and I really missed my favourite part of the city. Florence in the evening or early morning is just so beautiful. Don't try and see all the main sights choose what you would like to see most and spend more quality time at those locations.

Don't listen to generalizations about the weather. Everything depends on when you go and weird weather can happen at anytime. We had 70 degrees and sunshine in late April to early May in England, Sweden and Copenhagen. We also found the Mediterranean to be a bit rainy and chilly in October! The Baltics can be cold and rainy but the Med can be hot, crowded and miserable! Note I said "can be..."

I would look at the ports and do some youtube research, Rick Steves, etc. Pay attention to the heat indexes and crowd averages if you want to do the Med in mid summer. I think they are all wonderful, but timing can make your trip more pleasant.

Edited by Markanddonna

As others have said very different cruises. We had two weeks of sunny, warm to hot (75-90 F) on our Baltics cruise (July) but the weeks before and after were cold & rainy, so you never know. Med in Summer will almost certainly be sunny & hot. Both are amazing cruises, you really can't go wrong either way. As someone else said Baltics tend to be quieter and Med more lively. History is amazing on both. Sorry I can't help you decide as I love them both!