Skeptical... does this sound right?

NotACruiserYet

I booked a cruise a LONG time ago (February 2015) that sails in 3 months. I have prepaid the cruise and the service charge. When I booked, the package I selected offered the 3rd & 4th guest free and one other perk. I chose the UBP. I then received two adult packages and two soda packages for our kids. I've paid everything I can, and I was thinking I'd have to pay the extra 18% for the beverage packages. I called NCL today and she said that I when I booked this (a hundred years ago) the package included the 18%... and that I would not be billed for it on the cruise. She couldn't provide me anything that showed I wouldn't be billed for it upon arrival, so I'm just taking her word for it. Well, I'm kind of figuring she was wrong and am expecting to pay about $220, the gratuity on all 4 packages. Anyone else have any experience with this? Is charging 18% on a "free perk" fairly new? TIA! :)

Yes, the 18% charge is "newish." We booked our Jan, 2016 cruise while they were including the 18% gratis. We literally only paid for some additional (discretionary) tips for our favorite bartenders.

So enjoy! Highly unlikely you'll have an issue.

I booked a cruise a LONG time ago (February 2015) that sails in 3 months. I have prepaid the cruise and the service charge. When I booked, the package I selected offered the 3rd & 4th guest free and one other perk. I chose the UBP. I then received two adult packages and two soda packages for our kids. I've paid everything I can, and I was thinking I'd have to pay the extra 18% for the beverage packages. I called NCL today and she said that I when I booked this (a hundred years ago) the package included the 18%... and that I would not be billed for it on the cruise. She couldn't provide me anything that showed I wouldn't be billed for it upon arrival, so I'm just taking her word for it. Well, I'm kind of figuring she was wrong and am expecting to pay about $220, the gratuity on all 4 packages. Anyone else have any experience with this? Is charging 18% on a "free perk" fairly new? TIA! :)

What type of cabin? Haven does not pay the gratuities.

Well done, you seem to have been given correct information by NCL. You should consider contacting a news agency. :

Having to pay the gratuity on promo UBP was introduced a while ago, but certainly wasn't applicable in Feb 2015.

Also, if it isn't on your cruise confirmation then you don't pay it. That is where it shows up if payable, it is never charged elsewhere.

Edited by KeithJenner

I didn't have to pay on my last cruise (being in a suite had nothing to do with it, because when you upgraded back then, you didn't get all the perks or the paid 18% gratuity, you got the perks from the cabin you upgraded from), because I booked prior to the 18% being added. You are fine. Enjoy your cruise.

You booked when the 18% was included so that is correct you will not pay additional.

Yes, charging the 18% is "new". Not sure of exact starting date, maybe January?

That's not true. We're in an OS on Gem in Nov. Just like thew OP we also booked Feb 2015 and my gratuities are included.

That poster was referring to the service charge (18% NCL "tax") on the promotional UBP, SDP, etc. Those charges are not paid by Haven/Suite guests.

Incorrect. The 18% is included in our suite for the UBP.

Incorrect.

The 18% is simply not charged. It's not included. It is simply not charged.

Guest is responsible for 18% gratuities & service charges on the retail value of the Ultimate Beverage Package and/or Soda Package prior to cruise' date=' except when booking a Haven or Suite.

https://www.ncl.com/termsandconditions/FreeAtSea-Aug2016?hide_hf=true

[/quote']

Sematics, perhaps.

Yep, true story! We booked BA last June and leave in a few days. We did not pay the 18% on our UBP. However, we didn't get the free soda package for our kids. I purchased that separately, but am going to check with NCL because someone else also told me that should have been included when we got the UBP. If not, I'm okay with paying for it since it's a nominal fee. And the price of our cabin (family balcony) has not changed at all except that now when you book they tack on the $200 gratuity on the UBP. Enjoy your cruise!

We booked BA last June and leave in a few days. We did not pay the 18% on our UBP. However, we didn't get the free soda package for our kids. I purchased that separately, but am going to check with NCL because someone else also told me that should have been included when we got the UBP.
In June 2015, the beverage perk was UBP for guests 1-2 (soda package if under 21), and nothing for anyone else. So no soda package for your kids.

Based on when you booked you were given correct information. Ignore anyone who talks about being in Haven cabins, when you booked no one paid the 18%.

The rule here is simple: if your summary shows the UBP/SDP, then you have already paid everything you need to pay for it.

They have never charged anyone for the 18% or any extra after they've already gotten the package.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk