Easter Island on the Sea Princess 2017

greykangaroo

In January we sail out of Brisbane for the twenty seven day cruise to Valparaiso Chile via Easter Island.

I would be grateful if someone who has been to Easter Island on a cruise ship could tell me a bit about what to expect after landing on the island?

I am particularly interested about how far it is from the landing point to the statues sites. Can it all be achieved by walking? Could someone elaborate on their experiences there please?

I wish I could answer your question, but this year's World Cruise on Sea Princess did NOT stop there due to weather (this was in August). Naturally many disappointed passengers. However last year, they made it, but the previous year they did not. You take your chances and hope! On a positive note, the weather would be better in January (summer).

Cheers

As already mentioned, the WC this year was not able to stop at Easter Island or at Pitcairn because of heavy ocean swells. :( Last year the WC was able to land passengers on Easter Island, but in 2014, the captain had to call it off at the last minute. We just sailed around the island. :( I think from memory that the 2013 WC made it to the island so that is two successful visits out of four attempts.

I have flown into Easter Island and stayed for a few days. Surprisingly, the tenders land near the airport, not in the main town. The locals offer tours, but they are expensive as are the ones offered by the ship. A limited number of tourists come to the island so the locals 'make hay while the sun shines'.

There are several moai sites on the island and there is a fair distance from one to another. The main ones including the quarry are no-where near where the tenders come in.

Please have a look at a map of the island on the internet. I tried to drop it into this post but it didn't work. Tenders land at Benepu Harbour. You will see the symbols on the map showing moai. Some have been restored and look really good, whereas some others are not much more than a pile of rocks. The main 'town' (very tiny) is Hanga Roa about 6-7km from where the tender comes in. I am estimating the distance I didn't walk it, we were in mini buses all the time we weren't in town. The moai on the far side of town (shown as Tahai) are really superb, but that is probably 7-8km from the tender. When considering distances, I usually count on walking 4km per hour, so this indicates it is a fairly long way to walk.:)

Edited by Aus Traveller

We Went to Easter Island sailing on Oceania. Absolutely wonderful. We did a private tour and it was worth every dime. It's one place I'm glad we paid a little more. Trip Advisor has some good recommendations.

We spent a week on Easter Island (Rapa Nui) last year. We did not go by cruise ship because of the chance we might miss it, but, of course, many cruises are lucky and do get to tender in.

If your stop is in August, their winter weather csn be damp and cold.

The Bird Man village at Orongo and the beautiful crater Rano Kau are very close to where you tender in, but Tongariki and Rano Raruku (the quarry) are on the other end of the island. Luckily it's a small island but road speeds are 40km and it take a bit of time to get from one place to the other. One day will allow you to hit those highlights only, and just barely. Your time at each will be limited.

I blogged about our stay on the island, with lots of pics and info:

http://pescadoamarillo.blogspot.com/search/label/Rapa%20Nui

It is a very different and amazing place, and well worth a visit regardless of how you get there.

I wonder if it is not just a bit unethical to list a port when historically it is missed much (if not most) of the time. In our case we stopped in Genoa instead of Portofino. Since we did not not realize that this was actually the norm, we had not planned how to get to Portofino from Genoa.

So, we took a tour that (somehow ;)) Princess was able to put together last minute. Unfortunately, the tour spent more time in a cafe in Rapallo, than it did in Portofino. I think we could have done better by train, but had no time to research it with the slow internet.

Sadly, there isn't an option to get to Easter Island from any alternate port by bus or train. I wonder if Princess would at least sail close enough for you to be able to see the statues? If this is the number one reason for your cruise, you may wish to research other ways to get there.

I wonder if it is not just a bit unethical to list a port when historically it is missed much (if not most) of the time. In our case we stopped in Genoa instead of Portofino. Since we did not not realize that this was actually the norm, we had not planned how to get to Portofino from Genoa.

So, we took a tour that (somehow ;)) Princess was able to put together last minute. Unfortunately, the tour spent more time in a cafe in Rapallo, than it did in Portofino. I think we could have done better by train, but had no time to research it with the slow internet.

Sadly, there isn't an option to get to Easter Island from any alternate port by bus or train. I wonder if Princess would at least sail close enough for you to be able to see the statues? If this is the number one reason for your cruise, you may wish to research other ways to get there.

I mentioned in an earlier post, that on the WC in 2014 at the last minute the captain cancelled the visit, but sailed around the island. :) It was as close to the shore as they could safely do it, and with binoculars we could see the moai. Without binoculars, it was possible to see that they were there, but not the details. This year the ocean swells were so severe, that they could not even do scenic cruising.

I feel it quite reasonable for Princess to include Easter Is on their itineraries even if 50% of the time they are unable to land. It is such a unique place that people do want to go there and this might be their only opportunity. It would be a pity to cruise that part of the ocean without having the chance of going ashore.:)

I mentioned in an earlier post, that on the WC in 2014 at the last minute the captain cancelled the visit, but sailed around the island. :) It was as close to the shore as they could safely do it, and with binoculars we could see the moai. Without binoculars, it was possible to see that they were there, but not the details. This year the ocean swells were so severe, that they could not even do scenic cruising.

I feel it quite reasonable for Princess to include Easter Is on their itineraries even if 50% of the time they are unable to land. It is such a unique place that people do want to go there and this might be their only opportunity. It would be a pity to cruise that part of the ocean without having the chance of going ashore.:)

Yes, I agree. But, I also think full disclosure is appropriate, especially when one misses the port more often than not.

Yes, I agree. But, I also think full disclosure is appropriate, especially when one misses the port more often than not.

In the Terms and Conditions in the brochure, it mentions the possibility of having to change the itinerary due to adverse weather, civil strife etc. etc.

With Easter Island, the record for WCs from Australia in the last several years is 50/50. I think most people would opt for a 50% chance of getting there rather than no chance, having in mind that this is just one port of call on a very long cruise. The only way to be sure to get to Easter Island is to fly. I did and it was very expensive. Even the accommodation was very expensive for what looked like a 1950s style Australian small-town motel.:)

Firstly thank you all for the advice and especially Aus Traveller for your comprehensive explanation.

I believe that Loreni has a very valid point. Nothing is said about the fifty percent chance or even worse of landing on the Island or even getting near enough for binoculars. Princess owes it to it's prospective passengers to at least make that point before they book and in default, offer something in exchange.

Aus Traveller, I am glad that the 50% rule doesn't apply to getting home safe from any cruise. If anything happens on any cruise we all know that compensation is there for some kind of reimbursement.

I remember back to the cruise from Fremantle to Southampton on the P&O Aurora back in 2006.

When we arrived at the Cape Verde' Islands, a Costa ship barged in and took the only berth. The Captain said over the public address system that he was sorry that we couldn't land but everyone was going to be given $100 off a future cruise. Wow, what a bonanza. Later when we got home I enquired about applying it and found it was only good for twelve months and it subsequently expired. :mad:

Back to the 50% landing rule. In fact I agree it is worth trying and we can only hope for the best. It is after all January and our chances of the weather being good are much better.

Pescado, thank you very much for your marvellous post. It explains a lot. If we don't make it you have helped with our knowledge.

I'd rather visit Easter Island any day than Paris. :)

Edited by greykangaroo