Jade Norway Fjords - Suggestions?

ireashmott

For those of you had sailed this summer or last on NCL through Norway's Fjords, what suggestions or tips do you have? An excursion you highly recommend? A unique thing to pack for the trip?

Going next summer and I am already planning cause I can't wait.

If you are visiting flam do the railway trip

My only other tips are

1) take layers it can be hot/cold and wet

2) get up early and watch the sail in if you go down the fjords as you can miss them on the way if on early dinner after all this is why you are doing this cruise

Have done the fjords 9 times so ask away

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Enjoy the views coming in and out...plus take excursions that take you up to the high points where you get the view from above. We did that when we visited the Norway ports. In Bergen this is easily done on your own...ride the funicular, explore the market (amazing), hop on hop off, etc.

In the smaller ports we used the ship's excursions (didn't try private but might be available). Not sure of your exact itinerary, but enjoy....one of the most beautiful places in the world IMO.

Assuming Flamm is a stop, the Flamm Railway is an absolute must. The station is almost alongside where the ship docks. If you got to http://www.webcamsinnorway.com/webcams.php and scroll down to Flamm you can see exactly what the dock and station looks like.

The train track has the highest non-cog gradient in the world and it rises up in and out of the mountain, One of the tunnels actually goes a full 360 degrees inside the mountain. About half-way up, the train stops half-in and half out of a tunnel and you can get out and have a look at the huge Kjosfossen waterfall.

It is certainly possible to book and travel on the railway yourself and just walk to the train station. The only issue you can have is if there is more than one ship in because the train can get pretty booked up and you might not be able to get a ticket to match the ship times. If NCL get sorted and decide what excursions they are going to do on the Fjords it might be worth getting one of the ship trips because you are then guaranteed a ticket and seat on the train.

Bergen is very easy to do on your own and it is easy to walk to the town from the dock and then get on the funicular up to the top of the hill overlooking the town.

Edited by old nutter
spulling mistook

Assuming Flamm is a stop, the Flamm Railway is an absolute must. The station is almost alongside where the ship docks. If you got to http://www.webcamsinnorway.com/webcams.php and scroll down to Flamm you can see exactly what the dock and station looks like.

The train track has the highest non-cog gradient in the world and it rises up in and out of the mountain, One of the tunnels actually goes a full 360 degrees inside the mountain. About half-way up, the train stops half-in and half out of a tunnel and you can get out and have a look at the huge Kjosfossen waterfall.

It is certainly possible to book and travel on the railway yourself and just walk to the train station. The only issue you can have is if there is more than one ship in because the train can get pretty booked up and you might not be able to get a ticket to match the ship times. If NCL get sorted and decide what excursions they are going to do on the Fjords it might be worth getting one of the ship trips because you are then guaranteed a ticket and seat on the train.

Bergen is very easy to do on your own and it is easy to walk to the town from the dock and then get on the funicular up to the top of the hill overlooking the town.

Thanks for all that info...are there signs to get to the funicular and would it be walkable for someone with mobility problems do you think ? (hubby has painful hip)

Thanks for all the suggestions so far! Unfortunately, we don't stop in Flam. So no amazing train ride for us. Maybe next time?

Our itinerary has us stopping in Norway at: Bergen, Alesund, Olden, and Skjolden. For Bergen, we were going to do a hop on bus, check out Bryggen, and then take the funicular up Floyen. I understand there is a bus from the fish market to the funicular. Is that true?

For Alesund, we were going to go to the aquarium and Kniven. Anything else recommended?

For Olden, we are looking at kayaking or taking a local bus from town to the Fjord. Any insights on either of these options would be much appreciated.

For Skjolden, we are looking for a private RIB boat excursion and hike. Unless something else would be better.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far! Unfortunately, we don't stop in Flam. So no amazing train ride for us. Maybe next time?

Our itinerary has us stopping in Norway at: Bergen, Alesund, Olden, and Skjolden. For Bergen, we were going to do a hop on bus, check out Bryggen, and then take the funicular up Floyen. I understand there is a bus from the fish market to the funicular. Is that true?

For Alesund, we were going to go to the aquarium and Kniven. Anything else recommended?

For Olden, we are looking at kayaking or taking a local bus from town to the Fjord. Any insights on either of these options would be much appreciated.

For Skjolden, we are looking for a private RIB boat excursion and hike. Unless something else would be better.

Shame about Flam!

For Alesund, when we went, we used the local Hop on Hop Off bus. It stops right at the aquarium and goes up to the viewpoint at Kniven.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We did a Star cruise that stopped in Bergan and had a great private walking tour there. For Alesund I organized a private bus tour that did the famous Path of the Trolls to Trollstigen, but a hurricane forced the captain to cancel that port.

I say you got to do this tour.

Here is one on Viator

https://www.viator.com/tours/Alesund/Alesund-City-walk/d4312-31798P4

How long has the Jade been the ship for the fjords cruise? We have a few years, but I see the Jade is there in 2017 as well.

Just started or starting I believe - Spirit moves into Jades old Venice/Pireaus start for east med - Getaway arrives to start the baltics (or something like that) JAde moves into Southampton for Fjords (I just wish they had posted Jade somewhere more optimal for the Fjords as Southampton always strikes me as being "the wrong side" of the UK)

Edited by ighten

I'm looking at the cruise in 6/2017 and trying to decide. I was wondering was language an issue? Other than the Carribean, I've not travelled outside the US. Please forgive my ignorance.

English is the main language on board. They will do announcements in other languages if there is a significant number of a particular linguistic group on board.

In the 'good old days;)' when the Jade was doing the Med. the Cruise Director was a chap called Gary Glading (no longer with NCL:(). He was fluent in about 8 languages and was on the Jade because of that awesome skill.

• 2 weeks later...