9-11

TEXASMUNK

It's ignorant people like them, that caused me to leave cc for quite awhile. How can they be so rude? This site is for getting and giving info and to have fun talking about cruising. I don't get it.

Maybe they should rename "Cruise Critic" because people take it literally.:rolleyes:

I was on a cruise one time when someone had a CC sign on their cabin door. When she returned to her cabin one day, there were a couple of notes stuck behind her sign. People were leaving complaints about the ship on her door, because she advertised she was a Cruise "Critic" member....:p

Gwen :)

We were on a cruise from New York on Sept.2, 2001 and returned on Sept. 9....2 days before 9/11. I have a beautiful picture of the Twin Towers that I took while sailing out of New York. The following year, we took another cruise from NY and we happened to be in Sydney, Nova Scotia on Sept. 11, the 1 year anniversary. We were on a bus tour of Sydney and the driver and tour guide stopped the bus and had a moment of silence at the same time the first plane had hit the towers. Very moving and very nice of them to do that. I will never forget it. Here is the picture of the Twin Towers I took 9 days before they fell.

In remembrance:

TWINTOWERS-1.jpg

Thanks, Gwen. When you think of the innocent people killed in those buildings, like the father of my sons' schoolmate (an only child) , it breaks your heart. Any tribute - mention, moment of silence, etc. is appreciated. Hopefully Royal will do....

Maybe they should rename "Cruise Critic" because people take it literally.:rolleyes:

I was on a cruise one time when someone had a CC sign on their cabin door. When she returned to her cabin one day, there were a couple of notes stuck behind her sign. People were leaving complaints about the ship on her door, because she advertised she was a Cruise "Critic" member....:p

Now that is funny. 😀

fragelik, we were remembering the day regardless of the fact it was two months later, yet it was on the 11th day year 2011, ( 11/11/2011) to our roll call we felt that day was important enough to us to come together and remember 9/11. A friend of ours was leaving the NY harbor that day on a cruise and witnessed it.

Edited by Desert Cruizers

We were on a cruise from New York on Sept.2, 2001 and returned on Sept. 9....2 days before 9/11. I have a beautiful picture of the Twin Towers that I took while sailing out of New York. The following year, we took another cruise from NY and we happened to be in Sydney, Nova Scotia on Sept. 11, the 1 year anniversary. We were on a bus tour of Sydney and the driver and tour guide stopped the bus and had a moment of silence at the same time the first plane had hit the towers. Very moving and very nice of them to do that. I will never forget it. Here is the picture of the Twin Towers I took 9 days before they fell.

In remembrance:

TWINTOWERS-1.jpg

Seeing that picture brought a jolt to me, even now. I found myself just staring at it for a while.

Thanks for posting it, Gwen.

I sailed out of NYC to Bermuda on Carnival on 9/11/2011, the 10 year anniversary of the terrorist attack.

The ship delayed the departure until 7 PM, sailed slowly down the Hudson and stopped at the WTC for a while. The twin light beams were on. During the stoppage, there was a moment of silence followed by a bagpiper playing. The total silence during a sail away was a simple, but moving tribute.

This brought tears to my eyes just reading it. Kudos to go Carnival. May we never forget. Thanks for sharing this .

I sailed out of NYC to Bermuda on Carnival on 9/11/2011, the 10 year anniversary of the terrorist attack.

The ship delayed the departure until 7 PM, sailed slowly down the Hudson and stopped at the WTC for a while. The twin light beams were on. During the stoppage, there was a moment of silence followed by a bagpiper playing. The total silence during a sail away was a simple, but moving tribute.

This brought tears to my eyes just reading it. Kudos to go Carnival. May we never forget. Thanks for sharing this .

Sorry about the double post, I truly have tears streaming down my face and it blurred my vision. Hit the wrong key and posted twice. Thank all of you for sharing your stories. We truly do still live in the greatest place on earth and we need these reminders of a time when we all "became New Yorkers" and put our prejudices and differences aside and were standing as "One nation Under God indivisible with liberty and justice for all."

Edited by The sea calls my name

Has anyone heard if RCI will offer a moment of recognition/silence for those sailing on this somber date this year?

Do they offer a moment of silence or remembrance on December 7th? September 11th is no different. We will be on a rccl ship on 9/11 and are not planning on anything being mentioned.

Do they offer a moment of silence or remembrance on December 7th? September 11th is no different. We will be on a rccl ship on 9/11 and are not planning on anything being mentioned.

They usually do on Veteran's Day, November 11th. I think on most cruises they have a Veteran's get together at some point in the cruise. At least on the Grandeur and Explorer, they do. And on the Grandeur 2 weeks ago, they had a recognition of all Veterans and current military people, first responders, nurses, EMTs and even teachers. It was nice and was done in the Centrum.

I take it you know that was nothing to do with 9-11-

Armistice Day is commemorated every year on November 11 to mark the armistice signed between the Allies of World War I and Germany at Compiègne, France, for the cessation of hostilities on the Western Front of World War I, which took effect at eleven o'clock in the morning—the "eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month 1918 ...

My husband and I were on the cruise Desert Cruizers mentioned. As I recall, we met together because it was 11.11.11. (Veteran's Day) and had nothing to do with 9.11. It seems Armistice Day is a holiday people don't observe much anymore and gets mixed up with Memorial Day. Europe does a better job of observing it with Poppies.

In remembrance:

TWINTOWERS-1.jpg

I wish I could have seen this view with my own eyes. I was a child of 10 years old when this happened and I remember being stood at the ice cream truck when I heard it on his radio waiting for my sister to finish school. I'm from the UK and always have a moment of silence on 9-11, I personally find it a shame RCI may not do a silence or some kind of remembrance.

My husband and I were on the cruise Desert Cruizers mentioned. As I recall' date=' we met together because it was 11.11.11. (Veteran's Day) and had nothing to do with 9.11. It seems Armistice Day is a holiday people don't observe much anymore and gets mixed up with Memorial Day. Europe does a better job of observing it with Poppies.[/quote']

It is still a statutory holiday in most provinces up here in Canada. It is called Remembrance Day here though, as I think it is in the other Commonwealth Countries. There are ceremonies all over the country and a moment on silence at 11AM as the armistice was signed that morning but did not officially start until 11AM. And poppies are everywhere around here leading up to 11/11.

Edited by Canadian Disney Mom

Very nice. Brings tears to my eyes just picturing it. Thanks for sharing.

I've sailed during Remembrance Day before (Nov 11th) and a moment of silence is held at 11am. I don't think this is an American tradition, but in Canada and I know the UK, we do this every year. There was also a lot of people wearing poppy's. I ran into Americans who thought people wearing poppy's were in a tour. It was nice to be able to share with these people the way us Canadians and Britts remember our veterans.

As another poster mentioned, Nov 11th is a paid holiday for most in Canada. I work for a Bank so we're closed that day each year.

Edited by pilotboy1985

In the US November 11 is Veteran's Day, although I remember my dad calling it Armistice Day. That was many, many years ago.

Whenever I see a picture of the twin towers, including those I took myself, it catches my breath. I will never forget taking pictures from the visitor viewing area at the top of WTC tower two.

I will be flying on 9/11 this year.