Kaanapali Beach question

tourismtessy

How far is it to Kaanapali Beach from where the ship docks in Maui (Lahaina)? I'm looking at the cruise shore excursion for transportation to this beach for the day and it is $70 per person. Im guessing we could get a cab for significantly less. We will actually be in Maui on Easter 2017 so don't know if this will pose a problem for cab or not (holiday). Any info to help in planning this beach day would be appreciated.

Edited by tourismtessy

With all due respect, we must mention that Lahaina and Kaanapali Beach are only three miles (about ten minutes) apart and can easily be reached by bus or taxi.

Agree. 30 minutes would an absolutely worst case situation.

OP, it appears- by the large number of previous Princess cruises- you are on Princess, which tenders, not docks, at Lahaina. (Remember, people can turn off the settings that allow others to see your cruises.) Yes, taxi would be the easiest option to get to Ka'anapali Beach.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Thanks everyone! I think we will just go on our own (taxi). I read somewhere on here that there is also a shuttle bus from Lahaina to Kaanapali as well.

This aerial photo shows the Lahaina harbor & the shuttle bus leaves from the rear of the Wharf Cinema Center. That's the buildings at Hotel & Front streets & it's a short walk from the tender pier.

http://lahainatown.com/lahaina-harbor-map.php

The downside is that it only runs hourly & with a cruise ship in town you might waste your time waiting for the shuttle bus & then hope to get onboard.

Here's info on the bus but wouldn't suggest it with such limited time to enjoy the West Maui area.

http://thewharfcinemacenter.com/bus-schedule/

Edited by Astro Flyer

I think you have made a great decision. One thing that I have read on CC is that those who do their own transportation to Kaanapali Beach can leave and return when they like. A very nice option if you want to stay longer. Have a great time. Cherie

On our last cruise, we were there on Christmas Day. got a taxi in Lahaina to the hotel that's right in front of Whalers Village (which actually was mostly open -- some stores and one of the restaurants were closed). It's right next to the beach. You definitely don't need to book an excursion.

How far is the airport from port of Lahaina? Want to rent a car. Is there a closer pick up location?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Which airport are you talking about? Kahalui or West Maui?

A check of a map shows it to be about 7 miles from where you come ashore in Lahaina to the West Maui/Kapalua airport.

Checking out the many threads here shows there are a couple of car rental operations on the main road to the airport, but about 1.5 miles short of the airport. I believe they are Hertz and Budget.

Says pick up location is JHM....Kaanapali

That's the West Maui airport...7.2 miles & 15 minutes from Lahaina Harbor. There's a Hertz & other rental agencies on Halawai Drive in Ka'anapali that's 5.4/12 minutes away. Years ago we rented from an agency (Enterprise?) that took you by shuttle to a Ka'anapali hotel to get the car.

As Bruce said, there's rental info on this forum & seem to recall there was an agency in Lahaina.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Sorry we didn't answer your question fast enough...

Maui is not a big city type of place, so the number of cabs just sitting around might be limited. I would suggest getting the phone number for the cab service that takes you, and calling them when you are ready to return, if you don't see a cab around. Ask the cab driver where the cabs wait in the Ka'anapali area. And/or ask one of the hotels if they will call you a cab, if none is visible when you are ready to return.

Sorry we didn't answer your question fast enough...

Maui is not a big city type of place, so the number of cabs just sitting around might be limited. I would suggest getting the phone number for the cab service that takes you, and calling them when you are ready to return, if you don't see a cab around. Ask the cab driver where the cabs wait in the Ka'anapali area. And/or ask one of the hotels if they will call you a cab, if none is visible when you are ready to return.

No rush for the answer,glad you did.

Being form the UK its not always easy using my mobile (cell) when abroad so the hotel might be the way to go.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all your helpful answers. We will be in Maui at the beginning of May next year on the Sea Princess and I have just looked at the cost of shore excursion to Kaanapali Beach which is an outrageous amount.

We will definitely either go by taxi or if we are lucky and get off the tender early as we are Elite, we may be able to get the bus. I have printed out the taxi details and we should have a lovely few hours at the beach. We will definitely go in the morning before the crowds. Cruise Critic is a wonderful way of getting valuable information.

Jennie

Thanks for all your helpful answers. We will be in Maui at the beginning of May next year on the Sea Princess and I have just looked at the cost of shore excursion to Kaanapali Beach which is an outrageous amount.

We will definitely either go by taxi or if we are lucky and get off the tender early as we are Elite, we may be able to get the bus. I have printed out the taxi details and we should have a lovely few hours at the beach. We will definitely go in the morning before the crowds. Cruise Critic is a wonderful way of getting valuable information.

Jennie

We're booked on a roundtrip LA to HI and the $65-$70/pp. for 4 hours in Ka'anapali is outrageous. The shuttle bus only runs hourly so a taxi will give you more time to enjoy Ka'anapali Beach. The Hula Grill's Barefoot Bar (about $15-$20) with tables & chairs in the sand & live entertainment would be my recommendation for lunch.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Astro Flyer

Thanks so much for the recommendation for lunch. That sounds wonderful. We are looking forward to this cruise which is a 35 day one from Sydney to Sydney.

I have just started to research our time in Hawaii. We have visited Waikiki a number of times and the various islands once before when we were on the Tahitian Princess back in 2007, so we have seen most of the major sights, hence I thought about a couple of beach days whilst we are there.

Jennie

Thanks so much for the recommendation for lunch. That sounds wonderful. We are looking forward to this cruise which is a 35 day one from Sydney to Sydney.

I have just started to research our time in Hawaii. We have visited Waikiki a number of times and the various islands once before when we were on the Tahitian Princess back in 2007, so we have seen most of the major sights, hence I thought about a couple of beach days whilst we are there.

Jennie

Have a great cruise...we sailed 30 days from Sydney to LA and enjoyed it very much! :D

We've enjoyed Maui as both visitors & residents and also enjoy sea days and island-hopping around Hawaii on a cruise ship.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Have a great cruise...we sailed 30 days from Sydney to LA and enjoyed it very much! :D

We've enjoyed Maui as both visitors & residents and also enjoy sea days and island-hopping around Hawaii on a cruise ship.

Thanks so much for your good wishes. We love Hawaii and would love to visit every year if we could!

This cruise isn't until April next year though we have been booked on it for over a year. I realized today that I hadn't done much research for it so decided, as it is a Public Holiday here, that I would spend some time on the C.C. Board.

It does have a lot of sea days which we love but also some great ports as well.

Anyhow, I know the time will go by quickly and it won't be long before we are boarding the Sea Princess in Sydney. :)

Jennie

We want to go snorkeling at Black Rock. Where can we rent snorkeling equipment near there?

Some hotels have water activity rental equipment & the Sheraton and the Ka'anapali Beach hotels are adjacent to Black Rock so you could research their options. Unless you have a car then larger companies such as Boss Frogs & Maui Divers are not convenient to use.

Check the ocean conditions flag because it's a great spot to snorkel or dive along the lava point but if it's red flag conditions it can be dangerous due to strong currents.

Edited by Astro Flyer