Did you ever see the doctor or fly home??

galleycook

What I saw outside of medical was coin operated.

I've seen lots of medications in a coin operated gizmo, but sea sickness medication has always been available for free on every ship I've been on. People get seasick on relatively calm seas and the meclizine is always available free.

I was on the feb cruise. We did not have to pay when we got the noravirus. We got a 50 percent off for a future cruise and refund for the two we missed because of going home early. The 50 percent from the cruise we purchased.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Several years ago, we sailed with several family members, including a 10 month old. The baby became sick from the first day. Thinking ahead before the cruise, and being prepared, we brought a 6-pack of pedialite, and that helped to keep her from dehydration, but we brought her to medical services anyways to check her out. We paid the consulting fee, with out questioning it. A cruise line cannot foot the bill for ever person that gets sea sick due to rough weather, and cruising during hurricane season, you run that risk. Also, cruise lines do not reimburse for bad weather.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm not going to comment on the original situation because I wasn't there but since the OP wanted personal experiences this is what I can offer.

From PERSONAL experience:

I have gone to the doctor on board. I was on a cruise sponsored excursion and didn't "stick the landing" on the zip line. I sprained my ankle. Upon returning to the ship I went to the ship's doctor. He asked if it was a cruise-sponsored excursion, I answered yes, and there was no charge. I did spend 8 days in a wheel chair, again no charge.

The next year we were out in the back looking for a place to sit for lunch. The ship lurched, I was caught off guard and fell on my knees. Immediately there were several "stripes" by my side offering assistance. They asked several times if I needed to see the doctor and stated several times there would be NO CHARGE.

Edited by Bailey & Sophie
clairfication

She didn't say that in so many words but my interpretation is, considering there are many people who have fallen sick as a result of the storm, why aren't they just waving the consultation fee.

Regarding your second point, as I've been suggesting, if the cruise line tells me, their number 1 priority is my safety, and they took my fare, it's their responsibility to live up to it. If they can't, cancel the cruise give me a refund and there will be no argument.

Why on Earth would they waive their fee? Is she not receiving a service? Does the doctor not deserve to be paid?

Why would they cancel they cruise? The storm wasn't even a hurricane at that point.

Very poor analogy with no connection. The drive of the bus operated the bus in a reckless manner without regard to passenger safety by his choice, and was not influenced by his environment and surroundings. The Captain did not operate his ship in a reckless manner and did all he could to ensure the safety of his passengers and ship in the face of circumstances and and environment he had no control over.

But believe as you wish.

That is one of the good things about CC. We have the opportunity to state an opinion despite other misinterpretation.

The bus analogy is very valid. You have decided that the Captain did nothing wrong so the analogy to a reckless bus driver makes no sense to you. Read it again. What I’m saying is that if the Captain (or cruise line) makes reckless decisions then they are doing the same thing as the bus driver. I didn’t say the Captain made reckless decisions.

The point being, despite the environment which we may have no or little control over, (laws, roads, weather, etc), just like the transit company, the cruise line has to take responsibility for its passengers. I was trying to explain (as you had requested) my original comment. Whether the captain or other, did anything wrong is another discussion.

And for the record, I was on the Anthem in Aug and if it was the same Captain (which I assume it was), many passengers commented about how young he was, even questioning his experience. I never once questioned his experience and felt that if he had earned the rank, he was therefore qualified to command the ship. I had no issues with him at all.

That is one of the good things about CC. We have the opportunity to state an opinion despite other misinterpretation.

The bus analogy is very valid. You have decided that the Captain did nothing wrong so the analogy to a reckless bus driver makes no sense to you. Read it again. What I’m saying is that if the Captain (or cruise line) makes reckless decisions then they are doing the same thing as the bus driver. I didn’t say the Captain made reckless decisions.

The point being, despite the environment which we may have no or little control over, (laws, roads, weather, etc), just like the transit company, the cruise line has to take responsibility for its passengers. I was trying to explain (as you had requested) my original comment. Whether the captain or other, did anything wrong is another discussion.

And for the record, I was on the Anthem in Aug and if it was the same Captain (which I assume it was), many passengers commented about how young he was, even questioning his experience. I never once questioned his experience and felt that if he had earned the rank, he was therefore qualified to command the ship. I had no issues with him at all.

The Captain on the sailing in question was Captain Henrik Sorenson. It does not sound like you had the same Master on your sailing. I would not classify him as young or old, I would guess 45-55.

Now you are just being ridiculous. Our safety on Anthem was top priority. Injuries happen everyday on cruise ships whether there is weather or not. I have seen people fall when seas are perfectly flat. Accidents happen.

The Captain used all resources available to keep us safe. He adjusted his course to try to avoid the worst. If you had seen the map, you would have seen he basically went due east and then took a right turn, south. At one point, he adjusted to more southeast to try to get out of some weather.

While there were many people sick, there were just as many out and about enjoying what was available. We sat in the Solarium and watched the seas. We went to 270 to get lunch and see the wake. The place was packed with lots playing cards and socializing. We went to Jamie's for dinner and had a wonderful meal. The shows that had dancing and special effects were cancelled for safety reasons since the Captain did not want to have any performers hurt. Music Hall was rocking with the Journey Tribute band and other venues were still open.

People made the best of it. I feel bad for those who were sick, but even those people made the best of it. Read the review by lor74, they had a good cruise despite being down for the count for a day.

We were safe and to keep saying otherwise is just wrong. There are multiple reviews already posted from this cruise. None of those I have read focuses on weather. They are all honest accounts of what people experienced, both the good and the bad.

If we’re going to get nitpicky about the definition of “safe or safety or safely”, then what is the point of this discussion. Some might argue that sailing into or around a tropical storm may not be safe. I wasn’t on the cruise, but I understand people were hurt, and or sick. Does this literally mean the end of the world? No. Did the captain attempt to do his best? It sounds like it. Could someone fall and hurt themselves anytime. Sure. Is the cruise line still liable? I think so.

As I previously suggested, you don’t go into a restaurant with the intention of getting food poisoning nor does the restaurant operate with the intent of giving you food poisoning. But sometimes it happens. It’s not the customers fault because they patronized that restaurant. Maybe the chef took all reasonable precautions but it still happened.

And this was my point, if a cruise line wants to go ahead and sail knowing there is a potential (great or slight) danger, then they have to take responsibility for the passenger’s safety. I didn’t say they didn’t take responsibility for passenger’s safety, just that they have to, which what I'm really suggesting is, including the resulting consequences of that decision.

And if you want to talk about this particular event, modeling of the storm showed it was going to do more damage than it did. People on land prepared for it just in case. Fortunately it wasn’t as bad as predicted. But you never know. So if RCI decided to go ahead, they run the same risk of making an incorrect call potentially walking into a bee’s nest. And that as an educated risk, doesn’t absolve them of responsibility or the consequences.

I don’t have enough details or facts to know if the passenger in question has a legitimate argument. I only relayed what I heard. If it makes you feel any better, I will accept responsibility for relaying the story as I heard it. Having said that, I’m sure in the 10 plus minute interview, she did not articulate all the circumstances, details, nuisances, word exchanges, etc that actually took place. Additionally, I imagine most Cruise Critic members are somewhat seasoned cruisers. And although this trip may have been scary to some, or an opportunity to play cards in 270, we have an idea of what to expect. She did not. Just like for the first time driver, the check engine lights means pull over and get the vehicle towed to a garage. To the seasoned mechanic, oh the gas cap is lose again.

If we’re going to get nitpicky about the definition of “safe or safety or safely”, then what is the point of this discussion. Some might argue that sailing into or around a tropical storm may not be safe. I wasn’t on the cruise, but I understand people were hurt, and or sick. Does this literally mean the end of the world? No. Did the captain attempt to do his best? It sounds like it. Could someone fall and hurt themselves anytime. Sure. Is the cruise line still liable? I think so.

As I previously suggested, you don’t go into a restaurant with the intention of getting food poisoning nor does the restaurant operate with the intent of giving you food poisoning. But sometimes it happens. It’s not the customers fault because they patronized that restaurant. Maybe the chef took all reasonable precautions but it still happened.

And this was my point, if a cruise line wants to go ahead and sail knowing there is a potential (great or slight) danger, then they have to take responsibility for the passenger’s safety. I didn’t say they didn’t take responsibility for passenger’s safety, just that they have to, which what I'm really suggesting is, including the resulting consequences of that decision.

And if you want to talk about this particular event, modeling of the storm showed it was going to do more damage than it did. People on land prepared for it just in case. Fortunately it wasn’t as bad as predicted. But you never know. So if RCI decided to go ahead, they run the same risk of making an incorrect call potentially walking into a bee’s nest. And that as an educated risk, doesn’t absolve them of responsibility or the consequences.

I don’t have enough details or facts to know if the passenger in question has a legitimate argument. I only relayed what I heard. If it makes you feel any better, I will accept responsibility for relaying the story as I heard it. Having said that, I’m sure in the 10 plus minute interview, she did not articulate all the circumstances, details, nuisances, word exchanges, etc that actually took place. Additionally, I imagine most Cruise Critic members are somewhat seasoned cruisers. And although this trip may have been scary to some, or an opportunity to play cards in 270, we have an idea of what to expect. She did not. Just like for the first time driver, the check engine lights means pull over and get the vehicle towed to a garage. To the seasoned mechanic, oh the gas cap is lose again.

We are talking a cruise ship, not a bus, not a restaurant and not a car. You can make all the analogies that you want, but none of them have anything to do with the discussion at hand.

The woman was too cheap to pay for treatment for her daughter. If my child was in the condition she claims hers was, I would have done everything I could have to get them treatment. The medical staff was doing the best they could. We saw them making cabin calls on more than one occasion. There were at least three alpha calls that I heard, including one the morning we arrived in Bermuda. That last call was to a specific cabin and we were then met at the pier later that morning by an ambulance. Not sure if they were related or not, but at least one person was taken by ambulance. I know of another who went to the ER in Bermuda after visiting medical on the ship. She reboarded after having an IV and getting a prescription for a severe ear infection. The only reason we know the story is the woman, young adult really, was in the hallway with her grandmother freaking out because she lost her pills. We later saw her and she had found them.

You can keep trying to spin this story as much as you want, but this woman made the decision to leave the ship, she was not put off the ship. She decided she wanted to fly home, she should pay to fly home.

I've seen lots of medications in a coin operated gizmo, but sea sickness medication has always been available for free on every ship I've been on. People get seasick on relatively calm seas and the meclizine is always available free.

Funny you mention getting sea sick on calm seas. On one of our Majesty sailings a younger (20 ish) gentleman got seasick before we embarked. He spent the next 3 days in his cabin.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Personal experience this year

DH couldn't breathe. I called 911 on the ship. He spent 2 days in the ship medical facility and left the ship by ambulance. Money? Yep. I had to pay $11k before we disembarked in that ambulance. BCBS has since reimbursed every penny. Our travel insurance reimbursed us for land expenses. Money up front - then reimbursement. I never even asked what it would cost. And yes, I was shocked when I found out. Would have paid anything for him.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are talking a cruise ship, not a bus, not a restaurant and not a car. You can make all the analogies that you want, but none of them have anything to do with the discussion at hand.

The woman was too cheap to pay for treatment for her daughter. If my child was in the condition she claims hers was, I would have done everything I could have to get them treatment. The medical staff was doing the best they could. We saw them making cabin calls on more than one occasion. There were at least three alpha calls that I heard, including one the morning we arrived in Bermuda. That last call was to a specific cabin and we were then met at the pier later that morning by an ambulance. Not sure if they were related or not, but at least one person was taken by ambulance. I know of another who went to the ER in Bermuda after visiting medical on the ship. She reboarded after having an IV and getting a prescription for a severe ear infection. The only reason we know the story is the woman, young adult really, was in the hallway with her grandmother freaking out because she lost her pills. We later saw her and she had found them.

You can keep trying to spin this story as much as you want, but this woman made the decision to leave the ship, she was not put off the ship. She decided she wanted to fly home, she should pay to fly home.

Sorry but I'm not "trying" to spin this in any way. I gave the analogies because you seemed to have missed the point. If you still don't get it, then we can just agree to disagree.

Try reading the post(s) a little slower though because what you seem to suggest I am, or have been saying is incorrect. Again, I never said that the medical staff (or any staff for that matter) weren't doing their job. There is no need to tell me what they did. I believe they were busy because I have always believed passengers were sick and or injured! But thank you for confirming that people needed medical attention. Maybe you did get my point but just won't admit it. Despite the Captains good intentions, people were hurt. I'm suggesting the cruise line has to accept some responsibility for that.

Great to know that you would go to great lengths for your daughter as I assume most of us would. She also did try to get medical treatment for her daughter and we don't know that she didn't pay, only that she questioned it, (which was part of the reason for this thread in the first place). You obviously however have insight into this passengers situation that I/we don't. Please enlighten us.

Maybe you have a short YouTube news video and the information that I relayed based on an interview with her and maybe you picked up a couple of other snippets here and there. If that is how you typically judge people, no wonder you have a bias.

Maybe try doing some social media searches and you will find out not everyone was happy with the trip. You can't assume others have not contacted RCI as well.

False analogy. A correct analogy would be that a hurricane or tornado or some other weather event struck the restaurant and broke its windows, inconveniencing one of the diners. Should the diner sue the restaurant owner for opening the restaurant in a location that might be hit by bad weather? Or should the diner take responsibility for going to the restaurant on a day when there was strong weather in the area?

Edited by FalklandIslander
typo

My family and I were on the NCL Escape in january, and while at the beach in St. Thomas my 5 year old daughter spiked a temp and ended up having a febrile seizure. We rushed her back to the ship and the medical center. The final bill was around $600. My regular health insurance covered it like it was a regular hospital visit that happened on land, i just submitted the claim along with the receipts when I got home. Most health insurance will cover medical treatment performed on a cruise ship.

More applicable bus analogy: You get on the bus during Hurricane/Tropical Storm

Hermine. The bus driver avoids some roads he knows are flooded from the storm, but you're still going to hit some potholes, feel the wind shaking the bus, and experience the deluge of rain anyway. Passengers may feel nervous and may get jostled around as the storm shakes the bus, but the driver makes his stops, and you make it to your destination.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

As I said in another post I was on this cruise. We did not sail through the storm. The storm moved further to the east overnight and we caught in some of the outer bands of the storm. The waves were closer to 20' (no where near 40').

First, everyone on the boat decided to take a cruise out of NJ into the Atlantic during peak hurricane season. There are always risks of rough seas (especially at this time of year).

Hermine made landfall in FL early Friday morning so everyone should have known there was a big storm that would probably affect this cruise. It was all over the news and just about every TV Station and website (at least news stations) had the storm track shown.

My wife got sick as well. Fortunately she was fine Monday morning when the seas were much calmer. We were never in any danger. I feel bad that people got sick, but unfortunately that is a chance you take on this itinerary (especially at this time of year). People are way to quick to blame everyone else as soon as something doesn't go as planned. This is a big part of why insurance costs are so high now.

I saw someone mention that the weather Tuesday morning in Bermuda was bad. It was but I don't see how that is relevant to anything. It changed my plans for the day, but that could happen anywhere at any time. You move on to plan B and make the best of it.

Bottom line is this person decided to get off the boat. That is her decision and that is fine, but you can't expect RCI or anyone else to pay for that decision. Again, she chose to sail out of NJ into the Atlantic and it was well known there was a storm when we left. She needs to start taking responsibility for her decisions and stop trying to blame everyone else.