VIking River Cruise Air Accommodations

Culladen

I have booked a VRC July 2017 air included. I booked the highest class possible for air since it will be a long flight which is business class. Does anyone have experience with booking air and cruise thru Viking? Is there version of business class close the 1st class accommodations? What airlines do they use out of Chicago?

I have booked a VRC July 2017 air included. I booked the highest class possible for air since it will be a long flight which is business class. Does anyone have experience with booking air and cruise thru Viking? Is there version of business class close the 1st class accommodations? What airlines do they use out of Chicago?

We booked our air through Viking. At first we went with the regular coach, figuring we'd boost up to premium once the tickets were issued. The more we thought about it, the more we decided we didn't want to do that long a trip in coach.

I called them back to see if we could upgrade. Our original flights were on United out of Newark Liberty in NJ because we're part of their mileage program. but Viking apparently doesn't have a great agreement with United. The agent offered Delta at a price we thought we could live with. Delta has a Business/First combo with flat bed seats. The agent was able to get us a direct non-stop to Amsterdam but the return flight from Zurich required a plane change in Paris.

At first that sounded okay because it was going to be daytime, but the more I checked into the logistics of changing planes in Paris with only an hour and a half window, I had second thoughts. I did some research and found a direct, non-stop from Zurich to JFK - which is not our preferred airport, but we could work with it.

I called them back, apologized for being a PITA :rolleyes: and was able to switch the flights. We had seat assignments from the get go. I went to the Delta web site and decided I didn't want to be in the first row, so I switched both flights to row 5 with no problems - right on the Delta site.

I kept an eye on those seats, because I know the airlines like to mess around. They stayed as row 5 until I checked in - and the flight over was moved to row 6. I have no idea why - but it wasn't a big deal.

This was our first time flying in anything other than coach with a bump up to the more leg room seats, so I have no comparison, but we were very happy with both our flights from all standpoints. I think I'm spoiled and will be looking to fly first class or business/first from now on!

I can't speak for Chicago, but I'd recommend doing a bit of research before calling Viking. We did an extension in Lucerne and we wanted the ease and simplification of having Viking handle everything on that end.

So far, I have been happy with air from Viking. The flights have been okay. On my recent trip, I had to change planes in Frankfurt rather than taking a nonstop home. While it was a slight inconvenience, we saved a lot of money using Viking Air. The flights have been good. Timing is good. Never had to change more than once.

Business vs first? Varies widely and depends on the airline for YOUR flight, which may or may not be the same carrier as the last time somebody flew with Viking making the reservations.

Most airlines are dropping First class and going with just business. Most cases these days they have lie flat seats.

I would strongly suggest that since you are investing in business class seats anyway you spend the extra $50/pp and do the custom air option with Viking. That way you can read airline reviews, look at flight schedules then call Viking and tell them what you prefer and they will ticket the flights whenever you want them to (as long as the cruise and air are paid for). Once the flights are ticketed you can select your seats. We have used that service on several Viking cruises and have always been happy.

Have a couple of options selected when you call in case your first choice isn't available. It is nice to feel like you have some control over your flights and imho it is well worth the $50/pp.

I guess I'm the exception here. Amazing how these posters had good results with Viking air. I wish I could say the same thing. Our experience was just the opposite. On our transcontinental flights the partner airline to Delta, KLM, used the "equipment change" excuse both coming and going. Even though we paid the extra $50 for custom air not one seat assignment was honored. The flights were nothing short of miserable to say the least. On the return flight they didn't even have me and DW sitting together. I will never use Viking air again. I have a cruise booked for October 2017 and if I can't get the air reservations I am looking for...I will cancel the entire trip before I book air through Viking again.

You might ask why would I consider Viking again? Simple answer....the cruise itself was great. It was getting there and getting back home that was a nightmare.

Just remember, Viking acts as it's own consolidator to guarantee those cheap or free airfares. The airlines don't assign them the best seats to begin with.

Sorry to be so negative but just want to make sure I state the "other side" of the experience.

We booked our air thru Viking leaving from Ft. Myers Fl. on 10/4. There are 6 of us traveling as a group and we all paid the $50 extra fee. We fly from here to Chicago and then Chicago to Amsterdam. We can live with that, because we figured we were going to have to leave from Atlanta, NY or some other place on the east coast. Chicago to Amsterdam is a little over 8 hrs, so that's not terrible.

The nightmare is our return flight. Budapest to Frankfort, okay. But then we fly from Frankfort to Houston, 11 1/2 hrs. We by pass every hub on the east coast. Hope my sleeping pills work

Thanks all for the great advise. I appreciate knowing the good, the bad and the ugly. My concerns began with a snotty CSR rep from Viking when I voiced my concerns regarding paying $14,000 9 months before the trip with out plane tickets in hand. I just feel when you are spending that amount of money there needs to be a higher level of customer service. (I assume Viking follows these threads :D)

One additional question, other than paying the $50/pp for the opportunity to "try" and customize the air travel, are there upgrades available with the airlines? Like arriving at the airport and buying up to first class?

..One additional question, other than paying the $50/pp for the opportunity to "try" and customize the air travel, are there upgrades available with the airlines? Like arriving at the airport and buying up to first class?

Buying an upgrade on intl flights from coach at the gate is very rare. Very, very rare.

And, when they are available, they generally start by looking at what you paid for coach. Tickets through a 3rd party (cruise line) are often steeply discounted, meaning a very high cost to upgrade.

Keep in mind that 90% of the people on the plane are in coach and most of them want an upgrade - and many drive the gate agents nuts.

We fly often and usually understand what our chances are of getting an upgrade - which is almost never. So, we often just use miles and book business/first awards anyways. (just flew around the world all in business/first using points)

We also paid the $50 fee for customizing our air and they honored the flights that I wanted. When you pay the $50 fee you can do your own flight research and tell them the flights you want and they will tell you if they will honor your request. I've even changed the itinerary 2 times before the tickets are issued since I kept looking and wanted better flights.

As far as seat assignments, it's up to the passenger to keep an eye on that. I always monitor my reservations and see if seats can be assigned ahead of time or if they need to be picked when checking in. You can always check the airline's website or call them when they make changes and see if they can help you out.

It's always a good idea to check the website of the plane you will be on to see what their seating and luggage rules are. For an example if you are on a KLM plane but your flight number is a codeshare with American you need to look on KLM's website for the rules not American's.

For our upcoming flight we have Air Canada flight numbers but we are on Swiss - I looked at Swiss's website for info. For the return we are on Lufthansa and United using United flight numbers. I've been able to book my seats on the United plane but not on the Lufthansa planes yet - just the difference in rules.

A little bit of research goes a long way in helping you have a good trip.

Dear Culladen,

We do, indeed, monitor these threads and are concerned by the customer service encounter you’ve described.

Although most final payment dates are linked to the promotion under which the cruise was booked and are unlikely to change, we endeavor to always serve our guests with a professional attitude and high level of care. Please accept our apologies if we felt short of this expectation.

Culladen, we are interested in discussing the details of your experience further and kindly request that you reach out to us at TellUs@vikingcruises.com so that we can connect you with a Viking representative.

We hope to hear from you!

Warm regards,

Viking Cruises

Thanks all for the great advise. I appreciate knowing the good, the bad and the ugly. My concerns began with a snotty CSR rep from Viking when I voiced my concerns regarding paying $14,000 9 months before the trip with out plane tickets in hand. I just feel when you are spending that amount of money there needs to be a higher level of customer service. (I assume Viking follows these threads :D)

One additional question, other than paying the $50/pp for the opportunity to "try" and customize the air travel, are there upgrades available with the airlines? Like arriving at the airport and buying up to first class?

Belle9

As you know Lufthansa partner. When I was purchasing flights for our trip next April, if I went to the United site I could not book seats, however I could book seats by using the Lufthansa site. This was because the flights were actually Lufthansa's. You might try calling Lufthansa for your seats.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Belle9

As you know Lufthansa partner. When I was purchasing flights for our trip next April, if I went to the United site I could not book seats, however I could book seats by using the Lufthansa site. This was because the flights were actually Lufthansa's. You might try calling Lufthansa for your seats.

I have to wait for Viking to issue the ticket numbers to us. Since there is no ticket number issued I was very surprised United would let me book the seats already.

I have to wait for Viking to issue the ticket numbers to us. Since there is no ticket number issued I was very surprised United would let me book the seats already.

Usually you just need the reservation number. Sometimes it takes a bit before they release it to you.

And, as stated above, you need to know the REAL airline that is flying the flight. Codeshares can mess you up.

Usually you just need the reservation number. Sometimes it takes a bit before they release it to you.

And, as stated above, you need to know the REAL airline that is flying the flight. Codeshares can mess you up.

I have the reservation numbers but the non-domestic airlines will not let me book seats until there is a ticket number issued. I've had the reservation numbers for quite some time now. Yes, I'm the one that stated you need to look at the real airline's website so that I am aware of.

Sometimes there can be additional booking references. I flew on Aegean Airlines on an Aeroplan (Air Canada) redemption. They gave me an Air Canada booking reference but I had to call to get the Aegean one to book seats. I had a similar problem last year. Make sure you have the correct booking reference. It should let you book seats now.