Best time of the year for an Alaskan Cruise?

WeddNcruise

So we are trying to start planning for an Alaskan cruise for 2017 and since no one in our group has ever done one before I thought I'd get some tips from y'all.

What's the best time to go on one? Like what month?

I should mention we don't mind the cold. I want to go when it's the prettiest and we can do and see the most.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We chose July for our first Alaska Cruise.

I don't think there is a bad time during the summer months, to cruise Alaska. If you want to see very long days, then cruise around the Summer Solstice.

There will be days that are cold and rainy, but that is normal.

I have read the bears are out more during the salmon spawn in late summer.

We sailed in July, hoping to get the warmest weather. We got lucky and had no rain, but it wasn't "warm" for the most part. One day, in port, it was in the 70s, nice and sunny. But usually I was in jeans & sweatshirts. And my parents went on the first cruise of the season 10 years ago and had 70s almost every day.

We are cruising early June next year. From what I have read, it is typically dryer May-June and gets rainier the further it gets into summer to fall, although the weather is totally unpredictable. We chose that time because cooler temps really don't bother us, we live in the midwest and blizzards, subzero temps are the normal in winter so temps aren't a factor. There will still be snow on the mountain tops and will be much more scenic. Although, I don't think there is a part of Alaska that isn't scenic. Prices are cheaper in May and September, more expensive July-August. I guess its all personal preference though. Good luck!

• May and September is cheaper, but colder and some excursions are not running. Some like these months as you can do back 2 back cruise getting to/from Alaska.
  • May can mean ice congestion to some glacier viewing sites like Tracy Arm/Sawyer. Ice in some years can go into July! I think this year it went to mid-August.
  • May to July is dryer in Alaska, August will statistically see more rain and September will be wettest. If too stormy to dock.... cruise ships will skip the port.
  • July to August will be dryer in Cascadia
  • May to August will give you more day light
  • August and September offer better wildlife opportunities with bears and salmon
  • August starts to get wet.... with storms more likely in September.
  • I like late-July for weather compromise and wildlife. It's also priced higher.
  • some ports offer seasonal opportunities like fireworks and pride celebrations, but can also mean congestion.
  • http://www.alaska.org/advice/best-time-to-visit-alaska => it recommends mid-June to mid-July!
  • Alaskan mosquitos are Zika free!

We did it the first week of June. Prices were lower than later in the summer, and we had clear skies and temperatures in the 50's-60's 6 out of 7 days. It was absolutely amazing weather. Glacier Bay looked like a post card with its huge glaciers on a deep blue sky background.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Mid-May to June is my favorite time. Lots of sun light, more snow on the mountains in May (scenic), cruises cost less in May.

Statistically Mid-May and June are the driest times to cruise in Alaska. Love the temps - a little cooler. I went one in July and it almost hit 90. I could have stayed home to be in the 90's.

Timing is very subjective...

When planning our first AK cruise, I avoided May & September because they are on the edges of the season. (1,000's go in those months so I may be wrong in my thinking...)

So we chose June & loved it, it was beautiful.

For our next one, we want to see bears, so we booked in July.

A lot depends if you are going to do Central Alaska or just be confined to a round-robin cruise in the southeast panhandle, (perhaps also going up to Hubbard Glacier near Yakutat) i.e. Seattle-Seattle or Vancouver-Vancouver. And, if you do Central Alaska as well are you going inland before or after the cruise or just catching a flight into or out of Anchorage?

As mentioned, weather is the luck of the draw, more chances of rain in southeast but not as cold as the interior is in the fall. Closer one gets to the equinox the better chance for storms and rain.

1. For Southeast only I prefer late May early June. See my picture of Hubbard Glacier at the end of May, it was 72 degrees that day.

2. For interior Alaska I prefer not much later than mid June or after after mid August. You get away from the mosquito season that way.

3. For a lot of bear viewing, mid July on in most parts of the state, due the salmon just getting into the stream and lake systems to spawn.

4. For warmer weather, past the 1st week of June until the end of July.

5. For fall colors and better prices, end of the first week of September until shortly after mid September.

My opinion only, subject to argument.

134.jpg.4ff347b4ea84c205962874b0de5e3aa8.jpg

A friend who researches everything, did so for an Alaska cruise. He found that historically the best weather is around the solstice. He went then and had fine weather. My son lived in Fairbanks and said the best weather is usually in June.

So we have booked a cruise tour for June.

I went May 5-15 - EXCELLENT. May is statistically dryer than the other months, schools are mostly not out yet so there was mostly more mature people on board (there was maybe 20-30 kids under 18 on our ship), we were the first ship at a couple ports, we were the only ship at most stops, the locals aren't worn out from all the tourists yet and actually happy to see you, and there are fewer tourists in general. We had one rainy day (Juneau, our first stop) but it wasn't bad at all - the other days were nearly perfect and Glacier Bay day was SPECTACULAR. It was coolish during the day but a medium/light jacket was all it took - nights were colder but I wore the same jacket...it was what I wanted and expected from Alaska after all. I'd read about Alaskan cruises off and on for years so I knew this was the month I wanted to go. From my experience I would find it hard to consider any other month. Good luck! You'll love it no matter when you go!

Something that was important to me this cruise was getting in to see Johns Hopkins Glacier. If your itinerary includes Glacier Bay, the Park Service won't let any ships into the Johns Hopkins inlet until September 1 because the new born seals in there are being protected.

Also, the only time I ever got into Tracys Arm far enough to make it to Sawyer Glacier was in September.

Every year for the last 12 years my wife and I go on a cruise to Alaska. We’ve been to Alaska every month in the summer. We’ve found that the first week on June is one of the best times to go. The weather is good at that time of the year, most schools are still in session, everything is still fresh with a lot of snow still in the mountains, it’s just a good time to go. One year we’ll go to Tracy Arm and the next we’ll go to Glacier Bay.