Exploring Explorer--Live--September 14-24--Rome to Venice

RachelG

Waiting for our connecting flight home, so some final words.

Pros of the new ship:

Brand new so sparking clean and beautifully decorated

Huge public spaces. Even with a totally full ship, it never felt crowded.

Lots of storage in the D suite. So much I couldn't dream of filling it on a regular cruise. Would be great for a world cruise.

Lots of plugins in the cabin. Don't have to fight husband for a spot to plug my phone or iPad in.

Big balcony in the D with a useable table and comfortable chairs. I could actually imagine eating a meal out there, something most of the balconies on the other ships seem too small for.

Nice table which can be used as coffee table or dining table.

Very comfortable bed.

An extra dining option which is distinctly different and good.

Well marked walking track.

Lots of shaded seating options on pool deck.

Laundry facilities are more plentiful.

Destination staff seem to have their act more together than previous cruises, and most tours were good.

Negatives:

G and H suites are quite small for the amount of money they are charging. Particularly the bathrooms and closets.

The theater just doesn't have any sort of wow factor, especially compared to the rest of the ship.

Huge columns in the theater ruin the sightlines for a lot of seats, and I can't see well at all from the balcony due to the railing being in the way. Maybe it is constructed for people taller than me.

The sauna is not hot enough. It is designed with infrared heat, and it just doesn't heat.

New shows are just not great. And I did not think the singers and dancers were as good as the old JAR singers and dancers. With them, there would usually be at least one or two with outstanding talent that would make the show. The new group just didn't seem to have that extra kick, though I met several of them, and they seemed really nice and personable. But they didn't have much to work with as far as the show material itself, the exception being the 60s show which was somewhat better.

Thank you so much for your comments. I really liked the pros and I think I can pretty much live with the negatives. I had already heard of the poor sight lines in the balcony of the theater due to those columns. To be filed under "what were they thinking?". As long as the toilet flushes well, the water in the bathroom is hot and the beds are comfy, I think we can live with the rest! Hopefully there are bartenders who can do a good Hendrick's and cuke, pour a good glass of champers and maybe whip up a decent margarita and bloody mary, we're pretty happy!

The sight line in the theatre balcony is ruined more by the front rail/balustrade which is exactly the wrong height for anyone sitting up there. Everyone commented on it, including several performers we spoke to. Did nobody bother to check?

I agree with your final analysis Rachel and hope that Regent takes note as some of your "dislikes" seem to have been raised by several people who can't all be wrong.

Couple of questions about Krka. I've always hoped to see the Park as well, and a cruise we're looking at includes Krka (from Zadar, not from Split). There's one excursion that I believe does just the Park and another that combines the Park visit with the "cruise" down to Skradin. Do you think the add-on is worth doing? (I believe that you said the food wasn't great; is the little town special? I'm thinking perhaps it'd make more sense to leave time to get a sense of Zadar.)

(There's also a Paklenica National Park option. And a Kornati Island Cruise. I obviously need to do some research!)

Main question: The symbol shows 3 walkers. Do you think Krka was all that strenuous? (I know-- that's difficult to answer.)

Once again- and again and again-- thanks terrifically for an outstanding blog and for responding to my queries.

Thank you all for the kind words. I started writing travel journals a long time ago before the Internet for my own remembrance, but then realized that a lot of the information I gather could be useful to others. And also that someone might enjoying reading about my trip as much as I enjoy reading others blogs.

Poss, the hiking is not strenuous at Krka. We did a lot of extra on our own in the extra hour provided, but that is entirely at your discretion. There was a gentleman with a cane on our tour, and he kept up just fine. It is probably one of the most beautiful places I have ever been, and I am very glad we went.

The cruise down the river was nothing special, and is on a big boat shared with lots of others. It was just a way to get to the town to have lunch. We had no time at all to explore the town, but there didn't seem to be much there other than restaurants and hotels.

Thank you all for the kind words. I started writing travel journals a long time ago before the Internet for my own remembrance, but then realized that a lot of the information I gather could be useful to others. And also that someone might enjoying reading about my trip as much as I enjoy reading others blogs.

Poss, the hiking is not strenuous at Krka. We did a lot of extra on our own in the extra hour provided, but that is entirely at your discretion. There was a gentleman with a cane on our tour, and he kept up just fine. It is probably one of the most beautiful places I have ever been, and I am very glad we went.

The cruise down the river was nothing special, and is on a big boat shared with lots of others. It was just a way to get to the town to have lunch. We had no time at all to explore the town, but there didn't seem to be much there other than restaurants and hotels.

Rachel: Thanks so much for reporting back about Krka-- just what I'd hoped to hear.

Tc: People look in advance at photos of places they're considering all the time. E.g., if I'm trying to decide about hotels, I'll call up the website and try to get some sense of the place: Does the decor seem pleasant and to our taste? Do the rooms look comfortable? Does the place seem "worth" the money? Etc. Or if I'm trying to decide what excursion to take from a port I don't know at all, I'll read about it, look at photos, try to get a sense of what it's like, etc. And of course, I'll read other folks' reports. I think it's perfectly natural-- not a "wrong" thing to do at all-- that in addition to reading reports about Explorer from a variety of sources, and looking at the many, many photos that have been posted, people are forming some opinion about whether the ship is to their taste. As is sometimes the case with hotels or towns or restaurants or any number of other things one may do research about, what a person had assumed she/he would like doesn't always match the reality of the actual experience. But there's nothing amiss with using various sorts of information to help one make choices; we do it all the time.

Bill: For sure.

Edited by poss

Rachel, you gave a great review and great photos. Trust me every line has their issues and growing pains. Cheerleaders on all lines distort reality at times and can be a let down to new cruisers. I am sure Regent will tweak the product and it will get better over time. Crystal is going through the same thing with new products coming online.

poss: Agree with you 100%. My views of the cruise lines that we will not sail on is based on research - especially on Cruise Critic. I'm so sorry if you thought that I was referring to you -- it was a general statement. I agree very much with Rachel's observations of the Explorer. The reason I think that past Regent passengers should try the Explorer is because of the amazing dining venues and the spaciousness of the ship's public spaces. IMO, Regent customers will appreciate the ship/environment/food more than people from other cruise lines that are trying Regent for the first time (but that is a subject for another thread).

In any case, I appreciate the time that Rachel took to post live from the Explorer!

Rachel, I really enjoyed your comments. Your positives much more than outweighed your negatives. Among your negatives there is nothing Regent can do about the size of suites G although they are the same size as many on the Mariner which we find fine. Maybe Regent could change the layout to that of the Mariner? Regent can though improve the shows if they wish to unless they are imposed by the new owners. The balcony to the theatre seems to have many problems. Is it possible that Regent could change it without going into dry dock which in not scheduled for some time I suspect.

Have a good journey home

IMO, Regent customers will appreciate the ship/environment/food more than people from other cruise lines that are trying Regent for the first time (but that is a subject for another thread).

Hi

Mrs Machotspur and I have been on quite a few Silversea & Seabourn cruises but are now trying Regent for the first time - an Explorer B2B next March.

I'm interested in understanding your point that we won't appreciate Regent Explorer ship/environment/food as much as previous Regent customers.

Please do tell - on another thread if you feel it to be appropriate :D

Hi

Mrs Machotspur and I have been on quite a few Silversea & Seabourn cruises but are now trying Regent for the first time - an Explorer B2B next March.

I'm interested in understanding your point that we won't appreciate Regent Explorer ship/environment/food as much as previous Regent customers.

Please do tell - on another thread if you feel it to be appropriate :D

Okay - will make it short..... People familiar with Regent and their older ships will be comparing the Explorer to their other Regent experiences. They already like Regent and, IMO, will likely find the Explorer a step up. Those of you from other luxury cruise lines will be making comparisons to other cruise lines and, given the hype over "the most luxurious ship in the world", may be more likely to be looking for why it isn't. Hope that makes sense.

We will be on one of the March Explorer cruises (the transatlantic portion). Hope to meet you onboard (if that is one of the B2B cruises that you are on:-)

Okay - will make it short..... People familiar with Regent and their older ships will be comparing the Explorer to their other Regent experiences. They already like Regent and, IMO, will likely find the Explorer a step up. Those of you from other luxury cruise lines will be making comparisons to other cruise lines and, given the hype over "the most luxurious ship in the world", may be more likely to be looking for why it isn't. Hope that makes sense.

We will be on one of the March Explorer cruises (the transatlantic portion). Hope to meet you onboard (if that is one of the B2B cruises that you are on:-)

Thank you - that makes sense. In reality we are folk who have become disillusioned with Silversea & Seabourn (for different reasns) so we are desperately looking for something else - and Regent, with a brand new ship may just be the one !

Regrettably we will be getting off Explorer in Miami as you get on. I will ensure we leave everything 'ship shape'.:)