Exploring Explorer--Live--September 14-24--Rome to Venice

RachelG

I have loved going along for the ride, Rachel! Thank you! Near the Peggy Guggenheim there is a wonderful jewelry shop called the Genninger Stidios. This features the work of an American glass artist who learned her craft in Murano. She makes the most lovely blown glass earrings and necklaces. I have purchased way too much during my last two visits to Venice! Since this suggestion is too late, I have saved you from yourself!

September 23,2016--Venice Italy

Since we had been here before, I selected something different that I have wanted to do for a long time. A visit to the Peggy Guggenheim museum. We set off by water taxi . Note: this is an included tour and water taxis are very expensive. A group of 12 so two water taxis.

Please help me here. I am a bit confused. If it is an included excursion, wouldn't the water taxis be included? Or did you need to get to a place on your own? Thanks.

Please help me here. I am a bit confused. If it is an included excursion, wouldn't the water taxis be included? Or did you need to get to a place on your own? Thanks.

It is an included excursion. My point was that regent spent quite a bit on the excursion ( 2 water taxis each way, 2 guides, the museum admission) unlike some other excursions which would be extra cost. And the groups were small as was our tour last night.

It is an included excursion. My point was that regent spent quite a bit on the excursion ( 2 water taxis each way, 2 guides, the museum admission) unlike some other excursions which would be extra cost. And the groups were small as was our tour last night.

Ah. Thanks for the explanation. We are thinking about a Barcelona to Venice cruise next year, also with 2 nights in Venice.

Ah. Thanks for the explanation. We are thinking about a Barcelona to Venice cruise next year, also with 2 nights in Venice.

Were booked on a Barcelona - Venice next spring, taking my mother & her husband on their first cruise, and it'll be mom's first trip to Europe. The BCN-VCE seems to be a great itinerary for their first cruise, and we get to revisit some of our favorite places. Win-win!

What a lovely parting shot, Rachel. Thanks ever so much for taking us along.

If you happen to remember the name of your pizza place, I'd like to note it for future trips (she says, optimistically).

Haha, it has no name. I looked so that I could make note of it. Literally a hole in the wall with no seating at all. Just a guy dishing out huge pieces of pizza as fast as he can. Only a couple of types- marguerita, pepperoni, and mushroom. I think I could maybe walk there again from st. Mark's square, maybe.

September 24,2016--Venice Italy--disembarkation

So sad to see this cruise come to an end. It was really busy,but a wonderful time, particularly with the new ship.

We were up early, as everyone had to be out of their room by 8 am. This was one of the easiest disembarkations ever. We just walked off the ship at 7:30. No line at all. All the luggage was off, and there was a regent guy there to help find yours. No one else was getting off at that time.

We walked over to the Alilaguna water bus stop. I had Purchased the tickets the day before. A good thing as there was along line at the ticket booth as a couple of huge ships were disembarking as well.

We got on the first boat which goes directly to the Hilton. It takes 5 minutes and costs €8 pp and €3 per big bag. The guys do help you with your bags.

We are staying at the Hilton on points. A nice big room with Murano glass chandelier and great view of the canal where the big ships go in and out.

We had breakfast at the hotel with friends who ironically are embarking on explorer today. They tried to get on our cruise, but it was all sold out.

Spent the day on Burano, had pizza there for lunch which was good but not as good as yesterday's. Dinner was in the exec lounge at the Hilton as we have to be up at 4 am for our 7:15 flight.

Molto grazie, Rachel. So glad you had such a wonderful cruise. Now wishing you and George a safe and comfortable journey home.

Marq: Sorry you feel the way you do (but I'm confused, as you also thanked Rachel for checking). A number of things that matter to other cruisers don't matter at all to us, but I hope I've never put anyone down for focusing on their own needs or druthers. I acknowledge that the whole bed-measurement thing has had an awfully long and boring life, but the detail wasn't "nothing" to us.

Cheers.

Edited by poss

Molto grazie, Rachel. So glad you had such a wonderful cruise. Now wishing you and George a safe and comfortable journey home.

Marq: Sorry you feel the way you do (but I'm confused, as you also thanked Rachel for checking). A number of things that matter to other cruisers don't matter at all to us, but I hope I've never put anyone down for focusing on their own needs or druthers. I acknowledge that the whole bed-measurement thing has had an awfully long and boring life, but the detail wasn't "nothing" to us.

Cheers.

I didn't mean anything negative and I am very thankful Rachel checked. I am thankful that her answer is just two inches. I am getting tired of all the posters here who deride those of us who choose a less expensive suite whether an H on the Voyager or G or H on Explorer or a G or H on Navigator. I am sure my 24 nights on Explorer will be fantastic. I am really looking forward to aft facing suite (can't afford them on Mariner).

Marc

PS Much Ado About Nothing was punch line of a joke long time ago; that was why I used it here.

PAX, Marc; glad you responded (and sorry I misspelled your name at first). 24 nights aboard a Regent ship-- yes, that WILL be fantastic!

Btw, I've never had the feeling that anyone was deriding those of us who need to book the less expensive suites. I've much appreciated the input of both the old-timers and the new on how comfortable (or not) each thinks various suites are on the four ships. It helps me better choose.