Exploring Explorer--Live--September 14-24--Rome to Venice

RachelG

Rachel. Very worrying what you write about G2. We thought that it was similar to the same sized suites on Mariner which have acceptable bathrooms and walk in closet. We are booked in a G2 for a cruise later this year, but on the wait list for Superior and Concierge. Our TA told us that the ship is full. Will we have to resort to assassination to get a higher graded suite!

JoAnn, the largest table in Chartreuse is definitely for 8, and it is a big round table, so not like you could put two tables together. I will look in the other venues. My only blog is posted here. I sometimes repost same things on FB, but not usually as a lot of my FB friends don't care about the dimensions of the desk, etc. there is definitely more desk space in this suite than in any other we have been on, and it is very usable, with loads of storage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

September 15,2016--Amalfi Italy

Slept like a baby. The mattress on this bed is SO comfortable, plus I always sleep well on a ship. When my alarm went off at 7:30, I thought it was a mistake.

A bright sunny day with temps in the low 80's. I started off with a visit to what is like the coffee corner on the other regent ships, but much larger and very well furnished. It has the yogurt, cereal, fruit and pastries as well as coffee and tea. Then I ran up to the pool deck to get George his usual fruit drink.

This is a tender port. I am not a huge fan of tenders, but these are brand new and at very comfortable (for a tender). There was a big delay because apparently some people did not realize that you have to have your keycard to disembark. And since it is a tender port, they send out all the people on a tour together. So they could not allow the tender to leave until everyone was on board. That backed everything up significantly.

We finally did our short tender ride over to Amalfi. My third time here. I love this place. We were on a food tour today, but first we went to an archeological site where we learned a lot about early Roman life. Then on to a limoncello factory where George got to assist the lady peeling lemons. Then up in the hills to a family run vineyard and restaurant, where they make their own cheese, olive oil and wine. We saw grape vines over 300 years old that are as big around as a large tree trunk. We had a wonderful lunch of homemade cheeses, cured meats, pasta, eggplant Parmesan. Then chocolate mousse and chocolate and pear tart for dessert. George hates eggplant but loved the other stuff. I thought the best part was the homemade cheese. And their local wine with each course.

Driving back in the bus was somewhat hair raising as the roads are tiny. What we would consider one lane at home accommodates two buses. Lots of stopping and backing up. And our driver shouting "imbecile".

Back onboard, I went to the jogging track on the top deck. I really like the non skid surface. And the track is clearly outlined. There is a big cooler with water. There are lots of single and double lounges as well as Bali beds up on that deck, but they are out of the track area which is nice.

There was a block party at 6 pm. We met friends for dinner in compass rose afterward, it is a beautiful dining venue, and there are so many choices on the menu. It is really hard to choose.

I settled with crab salad, a vegetable caponata, and scallops. George had salad, shrimp cocktail and steak with a baked potato. There is a huge always available list. I can't imagine anyone not being able to find something they like. BYW, largest table I could see is for 8, but it is a big room.

The show was "Paradis" which was billed as a Parisian cabaret. Just not my thing. I know how hard the performers work, but this was just not to my taste. No music that I know or can relate to. Costumes were very nice though. A lot of people walked out but I stuck there till the end.

Hi Rachel

Thanks for your report on the Hilton. We plan to stay there prior to our Nov 16 cruise so will not be surprised by the water pressure. What car service did you use, and would you use them again?

Perhaps you remember us from our TA reception on the June 2014 Mariner Med Cruise. If I recall correctly we both had tickets picked by the Captain for our TA’s free cruise. Never saw who won, but it was not us.

Love your posts about your cruise experience. Hope you continue to have calm seas and good times.

Dennis

Thanks for the table information Rachel, I figured that would be the case, although Compass Rose usually has some larger tables, but perhaps not on the Explorer. Will have to just figure it out once onboard.

Amalfi sounds wonderful, we were scheduled for that port on a cruise, but due to winds we had to miss it and go to Naples instead, very disappointing, but those things can't be controlled.

Continue to enjoy your posts and pictures. Did you take any of the cabin other than the bathroom one you posted?

Dennis, we didn't win either!

We used romecabs. We have used them before, and highly recommend. It is 130 euros from the airport to the port. Daniela, our driver, was a pretty Romanian girl. She spoke good English and was right on time. I much prefer them over romeinlimo who we only used once.

Joann, there may be larger tables in Compass Rose. It is very large, and we only saw the corner we sat in. I have other picture to post when the Internet is cooperating. It is a bit slow today.

Rachel, Love your description of bus drivers on the Amalfi drive screaming "imbecile"; we just finished a 4 week trip in the UK and as I'm sure you know many of their roads are no wider. I was like the Italian bus driver shouting at drivers coming from around a hedge row at 60 mph. Made it, however, with no dents or scratches.

ab7522180e2d11c4dc825f3ce4f56dac.jpgf1c4de7561885bd96977cb5b45c61cef.jpg

Coffee connection. Not great pics but it gives you an idea. It is really large. No difficulty finding a table ever.

And the reception area outside. It is also huge.

Edited by RachelG

Rachel, Love your description of bus drivers on the Amalfi drive screaming "imbecile"; we just finished a 4 week trip in the UK and as I'm sure you know many of their roads are no wider. I was like the Italian bus driver shouting at drivers coming from around a hedge row at 60 mph. Made it, however, with no dents or scratches.

Bill well done for coming out of it all unscathed! At least most of our roads don't have a sheer cliff face on one side like they do on the Amalfi coast! ;-)

Loving your reports Rachel! Thanks for sharing.

Sept 16, 2016--Catania, Sicily

The seas are so remarkably smooth on his cruise so far. You would never know you were on a ship. We awoke to a bright sunny day, with temps in the low 80s.

Our itinerary for the day was a market tour and lunch with Katherine Kelley, who is the executive chef. She created the culinary classes on Oceania and now on Regent. I have taken one of her classes previously on Oceania, and in addition to being a wonderful chef, she is just a really nice person.

Catania is a fairly large city in Sicily. We had been there once before when we did a week long hiking tour of Sicily. The streets are buzzing with activity, people going everywhere, lots of noise and motion.

We were a small group, 18 I think. First we went to a cafe which has been there since 1897, which is known for their arancini, which are rice balls with various fillings. I have had lots of arancini before, but there were outstanding. Filled with different things--tomato sauce, eggplant, spinach, pistachio, ham and cheese. So yummy. The owner came out and spoke with us very proudly. They were all good, but my favorite was the ham and cheese.

We then went walking down the Main Street, past the botanic garden, past lots of nice shops and to the fish, vegetable and cheese market.

What a cacophony of fishermen hawking their freshly caught fish, the farmers with their vegetables and fruits fresh from the field, the mass of people! The fish was so fresh, some still alive. Some of the vegetables still had the damp soil on the roots. Very top quality. The smells were a melange of earth and sea. Grandmas were there haggling for the best deal. The fishermen were eager to try to sell to us. George was trying to explain we didn't have a place to cook the fish. What a riot!

Then we went for lunch at a restaurant reserved just for our group. Multiple courses--bean soup, fresh cheese and antipasti, pasta, pork, then dessert. All accompanied by local wines. I felt fat as a pig.

Following that, we ended up at a bakery famous for cannoli. They made them up individually for us, one at a time, to order. Too bad I was stuffed already, but they were delicious. Fortunately we walked back to the ship.

Then trivia--we lost. I did a couple of miles up on the track to try to offset some of lunch and the trivia loss.

Tonight was the captain's welcome reception. We don't go to these usually, but passing by, there seemed to be a big crowd. They were showing video from the christening of the ship. Our captain is Captain Vasca, a very capable captain. I like hm a lot. No nonsense. He tells you what is happening and that is that.

Dinner was in pacific rim, which is George's new favorite restaurant. So good. Too many choices. The potstickers and gyoza were delicious. George had the Chinese pork ribs which were awesome. I had the veggie curry with extra spice, and it was actually spicy enough. The sides of veggies and fried rice were perfect. A finish off with tea for me and tapioca pudding for George.

The entertainer tonight was a Hungarian violinist. A very wide range of music, from Bach to tango to Jewish to country and western. I very much enjoyed him.

All sounds yummy and wonderful, Rachel. I'm sure that Pacific Rim would be our favorite as well. Do you happen to know whether it's planned for the other ships-- or exclusive to Explorer?

So glad that the weather-gods are behaving.

Glad to hear the weather's good, since we'll be there in a week, and on another ship out of Civitavecchia shortly thereafter, down to Sicily, etc.

I'm really enjoying your comments about Explorer. I'm with poss--not sure I'll ever sail on her, but it's lovely to hear about it.

Can you find out if Chef Kelly is staying onboard for the New Year's Eve Panama Canal cruise from Miami to Los Angeles? She is a favorite of ours from her original Oceania days.

One of the reasons we gravitated to Oceania Marina and Riviera is the cooking class kitchen (along with the greater choice of restaurants land superior spa, espresso bar, putting course, and other amenities, essentially all of which Regent Explorer is now competitive with, plus its cigar room that Oceania's ships lack....).

JPR, I will see if I can find out about the chef. I do know John Barron will be CD as he told me that he will be on till Jan 15. His family will be on with him for Christmas and New Years.

Daniela is F and B director now. She just boarded with us in Rome.

No idea about the hairdryer as my short cut air dries, but I will check it out.

Rachel very much enjoying all your photographs and posts. If I may ask you is there an IPod docking station in the D concierge suite? I know on all the other ships in penthouse suites they have one, and we are booked in a D concierge next year and like to use iPod in suite for some light background music. Thanks,

Jean.