Accident on Harmony

Sirkeline

8AM update: two of the four injured crew members released by hospital and were back onboard last night. Other two still recovering in hospital. The maritime police has to do some more interviews this morning, write up report and submit to local magistrate.

No departure time. Next scheduled update in 3 hours time (11AM local)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What are they going to do with the life boat? Is Harmony sailing with one less boat now?

I remember Explorer lost a life boat not that long ago and was able to sail their normal itineraries until the life boat was replaced.

I remember Explorer lost a life boat not that long ago and was able to sail their normal itineraries until the life boat was replaced.

I remember the Oasis sailing without two life boats right in the beginnig - but they had to lower the passenger count and weren´t allowed to sail full.

Single Cruiser mentioned that they are sailing with 6.217 passengers. According to my data the Harmony has a max of 8,880 people (6,780 pax, 2,300 crew). They have 18 life boats for 370 people (16 crew, 354 pax). So there is space for 6,372 passengers in the life boats - minus one is 6,018. It depends on how many life rafts they do have onboard as they need to cover 120 or 125% of the head count onboard (not sure about the correct percentage without digging deeper in research). So it depends on the actual number of crew and it will be a close call on whether they are allowed to sail without one lift boat or not.

steamboats

I remember the Oasis sailing without two life boats right in the beginnig - but they had to lower the passenger count and weren´t allowed to sail full.

Single Cruiser mentioned that they are sailing with 6.217 passengers. According to my data the Harmony has a max of 8,880 people (6,780 pax, 2,300 crew). They have 18 life boats for 370 people (16 crew, 354 pax). So there is space for 6,372 passengers in the life boats - minus one is 6,018. It depends on how many life rafts they do have onboard as they need to cover 120 or 125% of the head count onboard (not sure about the correct percentage without digging deeper in research). So it depends on the actual number of crew and it will be a close call on whether they are allowed to sail without one lift boat or not.

steamboats

I'm having a hard time with this math. Are you saying that the lifeboat capacity is not enough for a max capacity ship? Or are you using the 'max berths' number to represent max capacity? .....I think it's the later but just checking...

I'm having a hard time with this math. Are you saying that the lifeboat capacity is not enough for a max capacity ship? Or are you using the 'max berths' number to represent max capacity? .....I think it's the later but just checking...

This ship has two types:

- 18 large, rigid, yellow lifeboats, 370 capacity each.

- unknown quantity of inflatable life rafts

The life rafts are stored in canisters and have an inflatable chute to get into them from deck five.

The yellow lifeboats just about cover the passengers, but not the crew. I presume the crew would use the inflatable rafts.

Edited by ClawhammerBanjo

SOLAS requires 125% of maximum capacity be provided with lifesaving equipment (boats or rafts). The minimum amount of lifeboats required are 37.5% on each side, or 75% of total capacity, which is met by Harmony's 18*370 lifeboats (6660). The remainder of pax and crew may be accommodated in rafts or Marine Evacuation Systems. While the boats on Harmony normally have 16 crew assigned, this is not required, and they could reduce this down to the mandatory 3-4 per boat.

steamboats

Because the voyage between Marseilles and Civitavecchia is less than 600 miles, and the ship will not be more than 200 miles from shore, it can be classed as a "short international voyage", and the requirement for total lifesaving capacity reduced from 125% to 100%. Or, they could put crew ashore (if they are at max crewing) to get below the 125% requirement.

First, my thoughts and prayers go out to the deceased and injured crew members, as well as their family and friends. It's such a tragedy.

I'm confused on the entire scenario around lowering the life boats and people saying there shouldn't be crew members in the boat for drills. In a real emergency, wouldn't there be passengers in the LB as it gets lowered? If so, with the added panic of a real emergency situation and additional lives at stake, wouldn't we want someone that has the hands on experience manning the operation? Also, it sounds like this is not exactly uncommon to have accidents while executing the drills. That is a huge safety concern for the crew members that have to execute the drills. I really hope the cruise lines or SOLAS or who ever the proper agency would be is working on ways to make the entire event safer for everyone.