When do Viking ships normally leave port?

zitsky

My husband and I are thinking to try a restaurant in Lyon because it is highly recommended by a friend. But I have no idea when our Viking ship will leave Lyon to the next destination. All I've ever read is that cruising happens overnight. I don't want to take a chance of going out to dinner and coming back to an empty dock!! :p

My husband and I are thinking to try a restaurant in Lyon because it is highly recommended by a friend. But I have no idea when our Viking ship will leave Lyon to the next destination. All I've ever read is that cruising happens overnight. I don't want to take a chance of going out to dinner and coming back to an empty dock!! :p

Since I know of no river cruise line that provides an arrival and departure schedule in advance of the cruise due to a multitude of variables (docking space, lock schedules, etc.), you will need to wait until you board - and even then you might not have the information until the day before you arrive in Lyon (if it is not your departure city). You might consider making a reservation for lunch. That should be safe!

'At night' is generally true, but as with any cruise ship, the time of departure depends mostly on how far the ship has to travel to reach the next port on time. As river cruise ports are sometimes pretty close together, departures can be pretty late at times so that people can enjoy activities on shore. The only way to know for sure is to ask Viking if you need to know far ahead of time. Otherwise, ask someone on the ship once you board.

If it is a particularly fine restaurant you might need a reservation well in advance. I would contact Viking and ask for an approximate time. It will let you know whether they are leaving at dinner time or quite late. Then you can have a better idea before you go.

However, departure times are subject to change.

Edited by gnome12