I developed appendicitis on board Carnival Ecstasy... My story

Lemory06

Hello everyone. I cruised Carnival Ecstasy out of Charleston to Nassau, Bahamas from Sept 8-12th. Me and my girlfriends had an absolute BLAST. Couldn't have had more fun!!! Sunday morning was our 2nd fun day at sea as we headed back to Charleston. I started having pain around 10am. Thinking I was having heartburn I took some tums and returned to the pool. Things quickly got worse and I found myself in the medical center around 5:30pm.

I wanted to post because I wanted to give a shout out to the medical center on Carnival. They took excellent care of me. They were able to draw labs and administer IV fluids. Labs showed my WBCs were significantly elevated but there was no other way to know exactly what was wrong. At the time my pain was mid epigastric and not the classic lower right quadrant pain that is so classic for appendicitis. I was given IV pain medicine and oral zofran and zantac. Then nurses were awesome and the doctor was thorough and explained everything so well. I am an ICU nurse so I have medical knowledge.

Carnival sent me back to my cabin and felt I was safe to stay on the boat until docking. I had to return once in the night for more pain relief and they were quick and gave me IM meds so they would last longer. They also prescribed oral pain medicine to get me home.

Carnival was able to make sure I was first off the boat and bussed me to our car. My friend drove me home to Greenville, SC (a 3 hr drive) where I went immediately to the ER. I had a gangrenous appendix with peritonitis and was taken to surgery around 5pm Monday afternoon.

My recovery has been slow but I am getting better every day. My advice to you is to get the trip insurance. If I had to be life flighted off the boat it would have been very expensive.. Also I am so thankful this happened on the last day instead of the first.

This was my second cruise but my first with Carnival. I am a new user and this is the only place I have was able to post.

Sail on friends!

Not to rain on the OP's praise as they were clearly treated well under the circumstance. And as OP is a nurse they clearly understand the ramifications of delaying going to the hospital for the three hours it took to reach their hometown. But given the patient's elevated white count and the need for both IV fluids (I assume due to high fever) and additional pain meds in the night, I--not a medical professional in the least--cannot help thinking it very imprudent that Carnival did not have an ambulance waiting at the pier.

If you had to be airlifted from the ship, it would have been the US Coast Guard, and you would not have been charged. EM

Though if the Coast Guard aircraft did not have sufficient range to get to a hospital and had to land as soon as reaching the coastline, the ambulance awaiting the transfer absolutely would demand proof of insurance or a hefty down payment.

Not to rain on the OP's praise as they were clearly treated well under the circumstance. And as OP is a nurse they clearly understand the ramifications of delaying going to the hospital for the three hours it took to reach their hometown. But given the patient's elevated white count and the need for both IV fluids (I assume due to high fever) and additional pain meds in the night, I--not a medical professional in the least--cannot help thinking it very imprudent that Carnival did not have an ambulance waiting at the pier. .... .

That is what I was thinking. Under the circumstances should have been taken directly to emergency room. The fact that by the time OP got to hospital the appendix was gangenous means to me that some medical personnel slipped up in not getting the OP to hospital sooner.

I am surprised that an ICU nurse would not have requested friends to deliver her to the nearest ER upon debarkation - talk about pushing your luck.

I've been told doctors (nurses;)) make the worst patients.

OP get well:)

I didn't have a fever. Never did. I was not tachycardic and didn't have any reapiratory distress. I was medically stable when I left the boat. They offered an ambulance but I declined. I work at the hospital I went to so trying to make it to that hospital for surgery was going to save me thousands of dollars because of how my insurance works.

Yes I probably shouldn't have risked it and I've been fussed at by my parents about that.

Actually what is strange is my surgeon said my appendix was pointing up instead of down. He doesn't know why. Just said it was my anatomy. That is why I didn't have classic appendix type pain. So we still weren't sure that is what was wrong with me.

I'm glad I wasn't air lifted regardless of who would have gotten me.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Lemory06,

First, welcome to Cruise Critic!

Second, I am pleased to read your story about your situation and its positive outcome. I hope that you will continue to recover quickly.

Third, I, too, have had the need to use the services of a ship's onboard Medical Center. I also have found the staff to be quite completent, empathetic, and helpful.

Fourth, I totally support your recommendation for having travel insurance.

I agree: Sail on!

Lemory06......so glad you are on the mend! Carnival took good care of you and no you did not have the classic symptoms. Blood work was a bit of a clue but it did do my heart good that they managed your pain and as luck would have it you disembarked fairly soon after symptoms.

You are lucky.....a friends husband passed away recently because his appendix burst and it was missed....he was sent home and passed. Yes.....you are lucky;)

This was my second cruise but my first with Carnival. I am a new user and this is the only place I have was able to post.

Sail on friends!

Easy...just highlight and "copy" what you wrote, go to the Carnival boards and post just like you did here (using "paste"). The cruise lines are known to read our posts and I'm sure they and other Carnival cruisers would like to hear your story. :D

From one nurse to another....you pushed your luck, it paid off. Now, behave yourself! Heal well before you go back to work and take good care of yourself in the meantime. Indeed, doctors and nurses are not the best patients. I'm really glad everything worked out for you and that you still managed to have a great cruise! Wishing you smooth sailing!

No issue with Carnival since making that diagnosis without some sophisticated equipment (like a CAT Scan) is nearly impossible. But to simply walk off the ship and drive 3 hours plus before going to an ER is simply nutz! So kudos to Carnival...and shame on the patient.

Hank

No issue with Carnival since making that diagnosis without some sophisticated equipment (like a CAT Scan) is nearly impossible. But to simply walk off the ship and drive 3 hours plus before going to an ER is simply nutz! So kudos to Carnival...and shame on the patient.

Hank

Especially because the patient is a medical professional - regardless of the likelihood of getting an "employee discount", an ICU nurse should have some idea of the ramifications of a ruptured appendix.

They offered an ambulance but I declined. I work at the hospital I went to so trying to make it to that hospital for surgery was going to save me thousands of dollars because of how my insurance works.
Another example of where travel insurance would have benefited you. It would have paid any out-of-network costs that your regular health insurance wouldn't have covered.

I don't think it was an "employee discount" she was looking for. Those of us who work in hospitals and carry their benefits are required to receive our medical care within that system. If emergency (or other) care is obtained outside of the employee's hospital system, a tidal wave a very high costs ensue. It's not for me to judge whether or not 3 hours to her hospital system was a good idea, just wanted to clarify that she was not seeking a "employee discount". I wish her well.

I don't think it was an "employee discount" she was looking for. Those of us who work in hospitals and carry their benefits are required to receive our medical care within that system. If emergency (or other) care is obtained outside of the employee's hospital system, a tidal wave a very high costs ensue. It's not for me to judge whether or not 3 hours to her hospital system was a good idea, just wanted to clarify that she was not seeking a "employee discount". I wish her well.

If choosing to wait three hours to get to the hospital where she worked because it would cost her substantially less than going to the nearest facility ( which may or may not be COMPLETELY accurate in an EMERGENCY situation) the term

"employee discount" is appropriate.

OP, I'm glad it worked out and hope your recovery is uneventful. I was only a lowly EMT but even with my limited medical knowledge I can't say that my decision would have been that much different than yours with the knowledge that you and the onboard doctor had. I am sure if the doctor had any concerns at all about your condition he would have ordered an airlift at the earliest opportunity and would not have waited for the ship to return to port. (And I'm sure that if your condition worsened on the drive home you would have diverted to the closest hospital.)

Ok so what I knew when I left the boat was that I was medically stable. My vital signs were normal. I wasn't tachycardic and I didn't have low blood pressure. At that time we didn't know if it was my appendix. We thought it could be my gallbladder. Yes I wanted to be at the hospital where I knew the physicians and nurses... BUT I also wanted to be close to my family. I also knew we would be driving through Columbia, SC and there are hospitals there if I needed to stop. I didn't have signs of peritonitis at that time (ruptured appendix leading to infection through out entire abdomen). So I made the decision to keep driving.

It paid off.. I'm alive. My mom was able to meet me at the ER and I was able to get my employee discount. I think if I had been any sicker or showing signs of sepsis my friend would have made me go to the ER in Charleston.

I'm healing well and should go back to work next weekend. I do plan to cruise again (with travel insurance next time).

Glad this ended well for you but we had a similar situation towards our end of cruise (Royal Caribbean Grandeur) and relied on 3rd party travel travel insurance which the ship's nurse liaised with their emergency line to make a determination of evacuation or not. http://www.csatravelprotection.com/support/emergency-assistance

In addition to the round the clock advice of a doctor, it could have cost us $10000s out of pocket. Its worth the peace of mind. Otherwise, you are on your own like your situation.