Cruise stop in Miami

metroidfreak

Hello, question for everyone. The grandeur is stopping in Miami this October. I can't seem to find anything about what to do or how to get around from the cruise port island. None of the cruise lines even seem to have excursions other than airport transfers when the cruise starts and ends in Miami. Thanks.

I am sailing RCCI in November and have the same problem. I even called and asked if any excursions would be added (there is only one listed) and they said no. I have done a little research and there are numerous options available offered on independent sites. I think we are just going to stay on the ship, less chance of getting bit by a Zika infected mosquito. Good luck in your search.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am sailing RCCI in November and have the same problem. I even called and asked if any excursions would be added (there is only one listed) and they said no. I have done a little research and there are numerous options available offered on independent sites. I think we are just going to stay on the ship, less chance of getting bit by a Zika infected mosquito. Good luck in your search.

Poor work on the part of Royal, if they have a port stop in Miami without lots of things to choose from....the area is full of things to see and do.

I don't know what the excursion is that they have listed....but there is a wonderful place very near to the port called Jungle Island to visit. I wouldn't waste my time going to a mall.....a mall is a mall is a mall, no matter where you are from.

Being that the area reported is within a short mosquito flight from the port, I'd stay off the pool deck ;) How long is your ship in port? Being that the port is right in a busy area excursions to the Everglades take a few hours. I would think they would arrange the same excursions they do for post cruise as well.

The excursion they have listed is the Hop On/Hop Off Miami City Tour. Sounds nice, but for $45 pp, a little pricey. Yes it is poor work on Royals part. Second thing I have come across that I am not happy about, the first being the price of the basic soda package. Soda is so cheap, and they want to charge $9.50 a day for the package. Not happy about that either. Oh well, I will be buying a single soda only when I crave it the most.

Hello, question for everyone. The grandeur is stopping in Miami this October. I can't seem to find anything about what to do or how to get around from the cruise port island. None of the cruise lines even seem to have excursions other than airport transfers when the cruise starts and ends in Miami. Thanks.

We love Jungle Island: https://www.jungleisland.com/

Vizcaya Museum & Gardens

Lunch on South Beach

Key Biscayne Beach (Bill Baggs State Park)

Coconut Grove

Shopping At Brickell City Centre (opening Nov)

Bayside Marketplace shopping & lunch

Millionaires Row Cruises from Bayside

The excursion they have listed is the Hop On/Hop Off Miami City Tour. Sounds nice, but for $45 pp, a little pricey. Yes it is poor work on Royals part. Second thing I have come across that I am not happy about, the first being the price of the basic soda package. Soda is so cheap, and they want to charge $9.50 a day for the package. Not happy about that either. Oh well, I will be buying a single soda only when I crave it the most.

Soda is cheap when you live in an urban area that gets frequent delivery, the cost little higher to deliver a good cold product to you when you are 500 miles from anywhere. They have to take all the supplies with them.

Vizcaya Museum & Gardens

Lunch on South Beach

Key Biscayne Beach (Bill Baggs State Park)

Coconut Grove

Shopping At Brickell City Centre (opening Nov)

Bayside Marketplace shopping & lunch

Millionaires Row Cruises from Bayside

These are terrific suggestions. For a first time visitor to Miami, in order to simplify things as far as getting around, I'd suggest taking a taxi to South Beach (15 minutes away) and spend several hours--walking around and seeing the Art Deco buildings (I believe it's the largest concentration of Art Deco architecture in the U.S.,) walk over to Lincoln Road and wander through the shops, galleries, and many restaurants to choose from, and if you are a fan of Cuban food, walk over to Espanola Way and have a great meal at Havana1957. Or try their new location right on Ocean Drive around 14th Street. Oh, and if you are still looking for something to do in SoBe, the gorgeous beach is right there!

Is there anything to do within walking distance of the ship? Or would you need to take the Port bus into Miami to walk around? Thank you for any advice on these questions.

Nothing within walking distance. The closest thing is the tourist trap of Bayside mall, that's a mile long walk, and you are in downtown.

Thank you so much Pipo, so either stay on boat or take the Port bus into Miami and walk around. Hmmm, what to do, what to do???? Sorry metroidfreak if I took over your thread, I hope you got some help with what to do. I also stand corrected, the basic soda package is $8.50.

Come on, cut them some slack :) Miami is the largest cruise terminal in the world but it is rarely a Port of Call.

The reason they're not offering much is simply no one offers cruise excursions in Miami.

The only thing within walking distance of PortMiami, other than Royal Caribbean Headquarters, is Bayside Marketplace. It's over a bridge.

A short Uber away:

• Jungle Island
  • South Beach
  • Miami Seaquarium/Cape Florida/Key Biscayne
  • Viscaya

For our stop in Miami next month we were planning on taking a taxi over to South Beach and having a leisurely walk along Ocean Drive up to Lincoln Road Mall, having something something to eat and then taking a taxi back to the ship. (We have been to South Beach numerous times and know the area well.)

With the Zika virus in the area I'm not so sure we will get off the ship.

The beach is quite nice. Walkway on the ocean side of Ocean Drive has benches which is great place to sit and relax or people watch.

The art deco buildings are neat to see and there is usually antique cars sitting out front of a few of the hotels.

Thank you so much Pipo, so either stay on boat or take the Port bus into Miami and walk around. Hmmm, what to do, what to do???? Sorry metroidfreak if I took over your thread, I hope you got some help with what to do. I also stand corrected, the basic soda package is $8.50.

No problem at all! I was surprised when I came back and saw the post count for this thread. A lot of useful information and it answered my question. Thanks everyone.

I would ask this on the Florida departures board. A lot of knowledgable people respond with good information.

Here is the link: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=495

I agree with this suggestion. Some of the posters are extremely helpful and eager to help with accurate information. Lived in Miami for 27 years bus all has changed since we moved upstate.

It is pretty silly that there would not be more offerings. If you plan to do the Miami on/off tour, go to Groupon. We were just in Miami and we got a great deal! However - you would have to take a $12+ taxi ride into Miami to get to a tour stop.

PS - just checked and a Miami hop on/off bus tours through groupon is going for $25 and good for 120 days from purchase!

Edited by SailingSal

I would ask this on the Florida departures board. A lot of knowledgable people respond with good information.

Here is the link: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=495

Being new to Cruise Critic, I didn't know that there was this board or that I could post a question on it about what to do. I did go onto the board and got a lot of good advice just by reading old posts, so thank you one and all.

Edited by harleylady98

Being new to Cruise Critic, I didn't know that there was this board or that I could post a question on it about what to do. I did go onto the board and got a lot of good advice just by reading old posts, so thank you one and all.

I'm glad I could be helpful.