Looking to book Eurodam would appreciate comparisons with NCL

chisoxfan

Hello. We are late 50's couple who cruise frequently. Primarily X but also some NCL and Princess. We like a mid Jan Carib getaway but have done the X itinerary and ships and are looking for something different. We had booked a spa cabin on the Getaway with a drink package. I am still a bit nervous as it is a 4000 plus passenger ship with one pool area. We were not fans of our last Epic cruise- just too crowded.

We cruised the Westerdam to Alaska last year and enjoyed it. The HAL experience seemed laid back and some vestiges of 'old' service remained (full room service menu) etc.

Fooling around online I was surprised to see EDam aft 7138 cabin(s) available as these (aft cabins) often sell at a premium. So I booked it. Bottom line with the explore 4 package we were within a 100 bucks of NCL. NCL includes spa access but not water in drink package. So we are looking hard at this option. Any comments would be very welcome. We liked BB Kings and the pool dining venue very much and assume these are on Eurodam. Am hoping the pool will be less crowded and we may or may not try spa .Also the culinary kitchen would no doubt be of interest for my wife. Understand this ship was recently refurbished.

Anyway thanks in advance for thoughts and guidance.

Hello. We are late 50's couple who cruise frequently. Primarily X but also some NCL and Princess. We like a mid Jan Carib getaway but have done the X itinerary and ships and are looking for something different. We had booked a spa cabin on the Getaway with a drink package. I am still a bit nervous as it is a 4000 plus passenger ship with one pool area. We were not fans of our last Epic cruise- just too crowded.

We cruised the Westerdam to Alaska last year and enjoyed it. The HAL experience seemed laid back and some vestiges of 'old' service remained (full room service menu) etc.

Fooling around online I was surprised to see EDam aft 7138 cabin(s) available as these (aft cabins) often sell at a premium. So I booked it. Bottom line with the explore 4 package we were within a 100 bucks of NCL. NCL includes spa access but not water in drink package. So we are looking hard at this option. Any comments would be very welcome. We liked BB Kings and the pool dining venue very much and assume these are on Eurodam. Am hoping the pool will be less crowded and we may or may not try spa .Also the culinary kitchen would no doubt be of interest for my wife. Understand this ship was recently refurbished.

Good question, and I feel perfectly positioned to answer as I just completed a 7-night Western Caribbean cruise on Getaway sailing in a spa balcony cabin with the booze package. Last February I sailed a B2B Eastern Caribbean cruise on Nieuw Amsterdam, which is a sister to Eurodam. And, I'm booked on a 7-night Eastern Caribbean cruise on Eurodam next December.

Regarding Getaway, she is a busy ship. I too have sailed on Epic (twice), and Breakaway-class fixes all of the structural deficiencies in that ship's design. One of the advantages of Norwegian is the ability to create your own experience, and I made my Getaway cruise more HAL-like by spending most of my time in Spice H2O (the adults-only sun deck Deck 16 aft), in the excellent thermal suite (better than Eurodam's by virtue of its panoramic ocean views), and by dining in specialty restaurants every evening. Also Getaway has two excellent Broadway-caliber shows: Burn the Floor and Million Dollar Quartet.

Eurodam, as you already mentioned, will give you a more sedate resort-like experience. I love the Lido Pool on HAL ships, and I even splurged for a Lido Cabana for my Eurodam cruise so that I'm guaranteed shade and so I won't have to fight for a lounger. I too love BB King and Dive-In (the burger shack by the Lido Pool), and also NY Pizza. Adding the thermal suite should cost about $300 for the week for a couple.

I'm happy sailing with both NCL and HAL. I would suggest your choice is the following: with HAL you have a refined product that would seem to offer you exactly what you are seeking. With NCL, you can create that HAL experience by living in those areas of Getaway that mimic a more HAL-like environment, and you can take advantage of all the other feature that may inspire you in any given moment. Getaway is 50-percent larger than Eurodam, and there's a lot more energy (and passengers) packed into that additional space.

My suggestion, based on your "too crowded" experience on Epic, is that you give Eurodam a try. Let us know what you decide and how you fare. Cheers.

Edited by Cruiser Bruiser

Good question, and I feel perfectly positioned to answer as I just completed a 7-night Western Caribbean cruise on Getaway sailing in a spa balcony cabin with the booze package. Last February I sailed a B2B Eastern Caribbean cruise on Nieuw Amsterdam, which is a sister to Eurodam. And, I'm booked on a 7-night Eastern Caribbean cruise on Eurodam next December.

Regarding Getaway, she is a busy ship. I too have sailed on Epic (twice), and Breakaway-class fixes all of the structural deficiencies in that ship's design. One of the advantages of Norwegian is the ability to create your own experience, and I made my Getaway cruise more HAL-like by spending most of my time in Spice H2O (the adults-only sun deck Deck 16 aft), in the excellent thermal suite (better than Eurodam's by virtue of its panoramic ocean views), and by dining in specialty restaurants every evening. Also Getaway has two excellent Broadway-caliber shows: Burn the Floor and Million Dollar Quartet.

Eurodam, as you already mentioned, will give you a more sedate resort-like experience. I love the Lido Pool on HAL ships, and I even splurged for a Lido Cabana for my Eurodam cruise so that I'm guaranteed shade and so I won't have to fight for a lounger. I too love BB King and Dive-In (the burger shack by the Lido Pool), and also NY Pizza. Adding the thermal suite should cost about $300 for the week for a couple.

I'm happy sailing with both NCL and HAL. I would suggest your choice is the following: with HAL you have a refined product that would seem to offer you exactly what you are seeking. With NCL, you can create that HAL experience by living in those areas of Getaway that mimic a more HAL-like environment, and you can take advantage of all the other feature that may inspire you in any given moment. Getaway is 50-percent larger than Eurodam, and there's a lot more energy (and passengers) packed into that additional space.

My suggestion, based on your "too crowded" experience on Epic, is that you give Eurodam a try. Let us know what you decide and how you fare. Cheers.

Thank you sir. Your comments are valued. That said I was hoping you found a clear 'winner' between the two ships so that my decision was easier. On Epic we had waits for dining and people made reservations (it seemed) well in advance when possible. As you are aware a major turn off to NCL is their nickle and diming. Bottled water is not included in the drink package, and there is a room service charge. I was intrigued by H2O spice but again had dreams of it being 'overloaded' (when we were on Epic we were blessed to get passes for the "Vibe" alternative. I told my wife if we didn't have this 'sanctuary' it would really have been too much fightinng for deck space at the pool. If we sailed on Getaway we would certainly opt for Vibe passes but of course these are not guaranteed.

Appreciate your help!

One simple comment . The Eurodam is a more classic ship than NCL will ever have. NCL is like a Ford and the Eurodam (HAL) is more like a Cadillac.

Someone who appreciates service and has an antipathy for crowds has a very easy choice: HAL offers consistently good service while NCL seems to have mastered the art of maximizing passenger load to the point where all public spaces are almost always crowded.

Additionally, they seem to be crowded with people who are not overly interested in good service and who seem perfectly happy in crowded environments.

We cruise frequently with Celebrity, HAL and Princess. We decided to try NCL Breakway to Bermuda last May. The worst cruise experience we've ever had. Mediocre food and service. I could make a list of things we didn't like. Would never, ever sail on NCL again for any price!

We've been on Eurodam three times and loved every one! Excellent service, good food, tasteful decor, clean and nicely furnished cabins. I would never turn down an opportunity to sail on Eurodam.

You are comparing apples to oranges (or in this case, lemons!).

One simple comment . The Eurodam is a more classic ship than NCL will ever have. NCL is like a Ford and the Eurodam (HAL) is more like a Cadillac.

Actually this comment is inaccurate. Aside from the ships built since Epic, Norwegian's ships are all "traditional." NCL Jewel class and HAL Vista class are remarkably similar.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Someone who appreciates service and has an antipathy for crowds has a very easy choice: HAL offers consistently good service while NCL seems to have mastered the art of maximizing passenger load to the point where all public spaces are almost always crowded.

Additionally, they seem to be crowded with people who are not overly interested in good service and who seem perfectly happy in crowded environments.

I wonder if you have sailed Norwegian? My experience over 13 cruises is that Norwegian's crews are especially friendly and that the service is essentially similar to the level I experienced on my five HAL cruise thus far.

The NCL Getaway has 28 restaurants which sounds great until you realize that about 20 of them have an extra fee typically about $25 to $40 per meal....plus an extra 18% automatic gratuity charge. I suspect that a lot of the guests get tired of the lines and hassles of trying to eat in the no fee venues so they lay out considerably more money for the fee restaurants...with approx 4000 guests on board many of the venues are very crowded.

HAL typically only has two or three extra fee dining choices and I feel that most HAL guests use these more for special occasions but most HAL passengers normally dine in the no extra fee venues.....Holland ships are generally much smaller and carry half or less the number of passengers which I find typically means that crew and passengers have a more personal relationship than the huge ships where you may never even see the same employee very often.

Frankly on NCL Getaway I felt more like I was sailing on a floating shopping center than a cruise ship. Some people seem to like all the choices and variety of NCL and there is no doubt there are many many more choices than Holland if you don't mind getting hit with fee after fee after fee.

Having done both my personal preference is Holland as i find the dining choices to be more than adequate to satisfy me and i do enjoy getting served by the same staff enough that many of them actually learn your name and preferences and you get to learn a bit more about their lives/cultures/ etc.

I do appreciate the comments keeping in mind that this is a HAL site.

It does seem clear that NCL has aggressively pursued the path of more fee based options. Their drink package does not include bottled water and even when they offer it as a promotion, they charge an 18% gratuity. Water can not be taken on board and the 'discounted' prepay for a case of 24 litres is something like 70 bucks PLUS an 18% service charge. Room service is 6.95 charge except for very basic breakfast. These charges are onerous to me but if you include them and compare overall cost of cruise they are still very competitive. We had great service on the Jade and even the Sky in the past years.

We are leaning towards the Eurodam as perhaps a more traditional, less frantic cruise experience.

We cruised on NCL Jade last year, 16 night transatlantic. It was our 3rd NCL cruise. We did not find Jade crowded, maybe it wasn't full? We find eating in the NCL MDR very comfortable, convenient with good to very good food choices and service comparable to HAL.

We rarely use room service and had no reason to pay extra for it but would have found it irritating if we had to, like if one of us were ill.

The NCL up-charge dining rooms were not appealing to us expecially with the reservation process, we had plenty to enjoy in the MDR.

I loved the shows on NCL but missed the classical music venue that HAL still has albeit diminished. NCL's buffet was plentiful with nice varieties and better hours than HAL. I did not lack for service on Jade.

The larger NCL ships may have a different ambiance than the Jewel class ships.

NCL vs HAL is just different and a lot depends on what one is looking for in a cruise and at what price. For us we wanted relaxed pampering and transportation across the Atlantic. We took an upsell to a balcony and had our own space there whereas Jade does not have deck loungers on Promenade, but you can walk it.

NCL was as good to us as HAL for that cruise. A short Caribbean cruise would be different I think, especially on a large class NCL ship, so it's important to review expectations. Happy planing! m--

Actually this comment is inaccurate. Aside from the ships built since Epic, Norwegian's ships are all "traditional." NCL Jewel class and HAL Vista class are remarkably similar.

Interesting point: yes, Jewel class and Vistas are very close to the same size - Jewel is 965 feet to Vista's 958, both have 106 foot beam-- the similarity stops there: Vistas carry 1918 pax, while same size Jewels carry 2376 -the only way you can carry 20% more pax on same size ship is by crowding - which NCL is good at.

Just what is "traditional" about NCL's steel promenade deck with aluminum and plastic loungers vs. HAL's mahagony deck chairs on a team deck, or NCL's circus wagon hull "art" vs HAL's classic blue hull.

Have you ever really seen a HAL ship, or have any comprehension of what "traditional" means? I have sailed NCL 6 times to 10 on HAL. - it is difficult to identify many common characteristics.

I wonder if you have sailed Norwegian? My experience over 13 cruises is that Norwegian's crews are especially friendly and that the service is essentially similar to the level I experienced on my five HAL cruise thus far.

I have - see my signature line.

I think we must have very different understandings of the meaning of the term "service".

IMO Cruiser Bruiser described both lines perfectly...

The Eurodam is a lovely ship...We sailed on her to both to the Eastern & Western Carib last November & truly enjoyed our cruise..I like that they have have less Psgrs than NCL does in a similar ship & we love HAL's promenade decks as we spend all our free time out there..Love being close to the water..

We've never cruised on the larger NCL ships but have cruised on the smaller ones & always enjoyed NCL too.. NCL's shows are better than HAL's shows..

I don't see you being disappointed with the Eurodam..Be sure to eat in the Tamarind..It is an extra charge restaurant but well worth it.. I wish every HAL ship had the Tamarind..

Edited by serendipity1499

I would tend to say if you typically have been a Celebrity and Princess cruiser, and enjoyed the Westerdam, that the Eurodam is a natural fit. She is an "evolution" from the Westerdam with a slightly more "Celebrity-esque" design scheme (but still feels like a Holland America ship). Service and food among the three are relatively similar, as is entertainment. Caribbean cruises on Holland will attract s marginally younger and more energetic crowd than Alaska cruises do.

While many people like NCL I find their newer ships, like the Getaway, too inward focused and lacking in large public venues to relax in. Other than the atrium there are only a handful of small bars and LOTS of extra fee restaurants that take up space that other ships devote to larger lounges/bars. Very few areas have views to the ocean. The waterfront is nice, but does not have enough seating that is not devoted to dining. The pool areas, even Spice H2O adult area (which does not have a pool) are almost always wall to wall bodies. My sailing on the Escape was one of my least favourites due to the crowds and constant noise - the only respite I could get was in my cabin, or the Spa (and sometimes not even in there!). The food, service and entertainment were all excellent, and the ship has a beautiful interior design, but I just find it too big and too crowded.

Usually sail with HAL , when we bring the grandkids we go NCL.

Recently on the Breakaway to Bermuda, been on the Eurodam several times.

The NCL experience is not really my kinda trip, especially on sea days. If you want to party by the pool NCL is for you. If you actually want to use the pool that's not the ship for you. We had a fabulous aft cabin and I spent A LOT of time on our balcony. The kids loved the ship, tons of things to keep em busy.

One of the things I like best on HAL is dining with other people. On those trips it's usually just hubs n me and have met the most interesting folks that way. That doesn't seem to be encouraged on NCL.

The on board daytime activities were more to my liking on HAL.

It's all a matter of what you are looking for in a cruise . Looking to party..go NCL. Looking for a relaxing vaca, go HAL.

Thanks again for the comments that reinforce what I was thinking. Not good or bad but that the NCL experience on their mega ships is a more frantic, party oriented atmosphere. In the back of my mind I also realize they devote a lot of ship real estate to things that don't benefit me ie. the Haven, rock climbing walls, water slides (sure they are fun to go down once or twice).

Also one pool for 4100 pax and frequent pool activities that make it unusable.

The Getaway is certainly seductive but like our Epic experience some of the glitter doesn't really translate to additional enjoyment.

Discovered (thanks to CC) the Lido cabanas and booked one for our cruise which really seals the deal for me.