Have any of you skipped the dining room altogether?

AidenandCasensMommy

Typically we hit the MDR only once or twice a cruise (2 if it is longer than 10 days) as it just doesn't always fit into the plans.

Like we want to do A,B & C and the time in the MDR would preclude 1 or 2 of those things, lido time for a fast meal.

Food is tasty there.

Jeans are fine for casual evenings, not Elegant evenings, check the Carnival FAQ's. Jeans are specifically mentioned as not acceptable

I check the Fun Times for the most up to date information on the ship. What's your latest Fun Times say?

Edited by LMaxwell

The food in the dining room is not "higher" dining, it's is still the same food as the buffet food, it is not made to order. Do you really think they have time serve hundreds of people a night in that short of time frame on made to order dinners? It's made up ahead of time and sits out on plates in the kitchen ready to go. You aren't fine dining in the buffet or the dining room, you are mass dining, don't fool yourself into believe anything different.

I wish I could give you rep points. I say this all the time when people talk about fine dining and ambiance in the MDR. I used to live in NYC where I had access to some of the top restaurants and chefs. The MDR is the equivalent to the Olive Garden.

I check the Fun Times for the most up to date information on the ship. What's your latest Fun Times say?

Mine from last week says "cruise elegant" on elegant night. I don't see any specification of what that is in the fun times. I know the carnival website has it.

Edited by Saint Greg

We enjoy dinner in the MDR. We normally do late seating. We've never had a meal last over 1 to 1/12 hours ... but we don't hurry and enjoy being waited on. To speed things up you can ask the waiter for a desert menu when your entree arrives so that it's there by the time you finish eating the entree.

We look at dinner in the MDR as part of our evening activities - not something that takes away from the evening and I think that makes the difference.

We enjoy the MDR and go as often as we can. We also enjoy the service and getting to know our wait staff. They work hard and I appreciate the effort. Also it gives us the opportunity to try dishes that we normally wouldn't order at a local restaurant.

Plus I generally am very unhappy with the buffets. Lack of seating and crowded serving lines aren't what I'm looking for. Plus trying to get a soft drink can also be a challenge.

Now I do like the thought of getting food and taking back to eat on our balcony. May try that on our Triumph cruise in December.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Edited by vestamark

I wish I could give you rep points. I say this all the time when people talk about fine dining and ambiance in the MDR. I used to live in NYC where I had access to some of the top restaurants and chefs. The MDR is the equivalent to the Olive Garden.

Thank you. This actually always makes me laugh. It is a banquet. It is not "Fine Dining". There was another post where I tried to point out that Carnival is not going for fine dining, they are trying for a well run Chili's. Even the specialty restaurants are upscale, not fine dining.

I like lots of options. Sometimes its nice to sit by a window in the MDR with a bottle of wine and relax while being waited on. Catch up with the kids and ask about their day and share our lifes dreams. Other times its a rush back to the ship grab a bite in the buffet and off to a show.

We semi-plan our nights but the plans always change.

I'd love to try a Carnival 2.0 ship because of all the options. Between RCIs Freedom OTS and NCLs STAR we suprisingly had more options for inclusive food on the much smaller STAR.

When we were on the FOTS I noticed each of the nightly options (not classics) on the MDR menu were also available in the buffet. Not all but many of the same things. So that was the MDR and Buffet with mostly the same food and you just pick the atmosphere.

Some people stick to what's comfortable for them and others get bored quickly and move on. I guess you just find what works best for you and go with that.

I could totally see us skipping the MDR all week if it was port intensive and we wanted to try all the variety on the ship.

-Sean

Never, besides everything else on the boat, I believe that is what youre paying for the most. Think of what it cost for a elegant dinner on land. For the most part, great food and service. Want to get my $$'s worth. Especially if you are not a frequent cruiser. If you are, then i can understand skipping the main dining once in a while.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Forums mobile app

Never, besides everything else on the boat, I believe that is what youre paying for the most. Think of what it cost for a elegant dinner on land. For the most part, great food and service. Want to get my $$'s worth. Especially if you are not a frequent cruiser. If you are, then i can understand skipping the main dining once in a while.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Forums mobile app

How is the MDR an elegant dinner? Do you live in a small town?

How elegant are dancing and singing waiters?

We generally skip the MDR when we have a port heavy itinerary. We get back from our day ashore, have dinner at the Lido, maybe take in some entertainment, and then we relax.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Viv0828

My last 2 cruises with just my child we skipped the MDR every night. Carnival needs to extend some of their lunch options to dinner, such as Mongolian Wok, Guys, blue iguana, BBQ. The dinner buffet stinks and there are few options for dinner if you don't want the buffet or MDR (pizza, deli, or room service). The meat on the carving stations at dinner was inedible- gristle, fat, or pressed meats. My son bit into spoiled cheese. The options were boring, repetitive and sparse. We would eat a late lunch of guys burgers and then either get pizza, deli, or room service. My son doesn't do well with long drawn out dinners and it is miserable for me and those around us in the dining room, so we choose to go casual.

Contrast the dinner buffet on NCL Getaway and it was like night and day- too many delicious options to choose from! Carnival fails miserably in its dinner buffet!

I don't think we could get our Culinary Degreed Medallion hanging son in Carnival MDR. High percentage of folks have no idea what fine dining is. Carnival couldn't afford the place settings.

Very true. I have eaten with many chefs, and would not want to sit with them in the MDR. One of them once sent my plate back, when I kept telling him it was fine. He assured me it was not, and told the waiter to take it back.

My last 2 cruises with just my child we skipped the MDR every night. Carnival needs to extend some of their lunch options to dinner, such as Mongolian Wok, Guys, blue iguana, BBQ. The dinner buffet stinks and there are few options for dinner if you don't want the buffet or MDR (pizza, deli, or room service). The meat on the carving stations at dinner was inedible- gristle, fat, or pressed meats. My son bit into spoiled cheese. The options were boring, repetitive and sparse. We would eat a late lunch of guys burgers and then either get pizza, deli, or room service. My son doesn't do well with long drawn out dinners and it is miserable for me and those around us in the dining room, so we choose to go casual.

Contrast the dinner buffet on NCL Getaway and it was like night and day- too many delicious options to choose from! Carnival fails miserably in its dinner buffet!

Maybe CCL is not the cruise line for you if the food was so totally unacceptable. You sound like you fit better at NCL ... just sayin':rolleyes:

From the Carnival website:

Cruise Casual Dress Code

Men: sport slacks, khakis, Jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long) and collared polo shirts

Women: summer dresses, casual skirts, pants, capris, dress shorts, Jeans (no cut-offs) blouses and tops

Not permitted: Cut-off Jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, tee-shirts, gym or basketball shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

Cruise Elegant Dress Code

Men: dress slacks, dress shirts, and we also suggest a sport coat; men may also wish to wear a suit and tie or tuxedo

Women: Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; ladies may also wish to wear an evening gown

Not permitted: Jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, shorts, tee-shirts, sportswear, gym or basketball shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

Jeans are NOT acceptable for Elegant Evenings in the MDR

Jeans are often worn on Elegant night on Carnival and you know it. Most rules on Carnival are "guidelines".

Sent from my iPhone using Forums