Have any of you skipped the dining room altogether?

AidenandCasensMommy

We are seriously considering forgoing the dining room on our upcoming trip. We just want to relax & possibly not dress up at all. I'm not sure yet if we will. I don't know what other food options there are on the Triumph. It doesn't look like they have a buffet style dining area anywhere.

Edited by AidenandCasensMommy

I don't know what other food options there are on the Triumph. It doesn't look like they have a buffet style dining area anywhere.

https://www.carnival.com/cruise-ships/carnival-triumph.aspx

Click on "Dining & Activities".

Then click on "Explore onboard dining".

Or this: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/search/carnival/triumph

Edited by drerickson77

We've not personally done that, enjoying the MDR for most nights. But we have friends who NEVER go to the MDR. They enjoy all of the optional venues, the buffet, Guy's, Tandoor, etc as they are available on various ships.

They love dressing casually and just going to eat as they feel up to it. It works for them!

We are seriously considering forgoing the dining room on our upcoming trip. We just want to relax & possibly not dress up at all. I'm not sure yet if we will. I don't know what other food options there are on the Triumph. It doesn't look like they have a buffet style dining area anywhere.

CCL's bar for dress in the MDR is pretty low. Shorts in the MDR are acceptable for all but the one or 2 "dress up nights" then jeans are acceptable. I'm not sure how much less dressed up you can go but shorts and a nice T-shirt doesn't reek of dressed up to me - more like "I took a shower and put on clean casual clothes".:D

CCL's bar for dress in the MDR is pretty low. Shorts in the MDR are acceptable for all but the one or 2 "dress up nights" then jeans are acceptable. I'm not sure how much less dressed up you can go but shorts and a nice T-shirt doesn't reek of dressed up to me - more like "I took a shower and put on clean casual clothes".:D

From the Carnival website:

Cruise Casual Dress Code

Men: sport slacks, khakis, Jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long) and collared polo shirts

Women: summer dresses, casual skirts, pants, capris, dress shorts, Jeans (no cut-offs) blouses and tops

Not permitted: Cut-off Jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, tee-shirts, gym or basketball shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

Cruise Elegant Dress Code

Men: dress slacks, dress shirts, and we also suggest a sport coat; men may also wish to wear a suit and tie or tuxedo

Women: Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; ladies may also wish to wear an evening gown

Not permitted: Jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, shorts, tee-shirts, sportswear, gym or basketball shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

Jeans are NOT acceptable for Elegant Evenings in the MDR

Edited by First and Ten

We do all the dining but the pay ones.We feel if you spend money on a cruise the dining should be free.Anyway we do both MDR and other free venues . If you read MDR clothing rules it really is not that dressed up. We also go to elegant night me in a black long skirt and nice blouse and husband in Khakis and button down shirt. We go for the steak and lobster.The buffet gets old after a couple of days.Seems like the same stuff. Go to MDR the 1 st night it is much more relaxed clothing as some people have not gotten their suitcases. Try it and see if you want to do it again later.

One comment, though, that I'd like to pass along - you miss some great atmosphere if you never go in the MDR. Maybe choose one or two nights to go. The wait staff is so entertaining - they do singing and dancing, the service is good and it's just a fun time. If you NEVER go your entire cruise, you will miss out on a bit of traditional entertainment. Just a thought....

Of course the Triumph has a "buffet" type offering on the Lido deck. They just don't call it a "buffet".

There are several different stations open and here is the description:

https://www.carnival.com/cruise-food/lido-restaurant?t=d

The MDR does not require you to "dress up" on Carnival ships. Even "elegant night" is not dressy! The only requirement for a guy is long pants and a shirt with a collar. That's it!

We don't go to the MDR to watch the waiters sing and dance. We go because we enjoy a nice romantic meal together. IF you don't enjoy that then you are perfectly

within your rights to skip it! It is your vacation and everyone travels differently.

Edited by riffatsea

Heck no. I love the MDR. The food is delicious, and who doesn't love being served dinner while on vacation?! I cook every meal at home, so this is my chance to have it served to me instead. Not going to miss that.

That being said, I also hate dressing up and I wish they would do away with elegant night. I'm actually thinking of just bringing slacks and blouses for the elegant nights on my next cruise so that I can be comfortable rather than having to dress up in dresses. I never wear dresses for any other reason. Just not my thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I'm not a huge fan of the buffet and would rather eat in the MDR. I wear my capris and a top every evening except elegant night where I throw on a sun dress. DH wears shorts or jeans and a button down shirt every night and just switches to Khakis on elegant night. No need to spend hours to get all dressed up.

From the Carnival website:

Jeans are NOT acceptable for Elegant Evenings in the MDR

What Carnival says and what Carnival does are very often 2 different things.

For example - On our last cruise with CCL - tablemates came to "elegant evening" in sweat suits.

What Carnival says and what Carnival does are very often 2 different things.

For example - On our last cruise with CCL - tablemates came to "elegant evening" in sweat suits.

Its sad people feel that entitled that they feel they should do whatever they want

Edited by First and Ten

Yea, we tend to skip the MDR on most nights when we cruise, it's sooooo overrated, and with that absurd wait staff "entertainment"...ugh. But, I have been known to put on a pair of dockers and button down shirt, and hit the MDR on "elegant night" for that moderately decent lobster. And we don't mind at all paying a few extra bucks for the "specialty" restaurants, or we forgo it altogether, grab a pitcher of beer and a couple of pizza's and enjoy.

On our last cruise (not Carnival) we never went the MDR. For our first we only made it there 2x. Our youngest was not fond of staying put, so we skipped it from then on. We will probably try to go this next time as the kids will be older (maybe even without them!), but we've always been more than happy with the offerings on the buffets and I love the Carnival pizza and deli menus.

I didn't eat in the MDR at all last week on Triumph. I ate Blue Iguana burritos for breakfast every day...and lunch most days. They aren't open for dinner. Guy's Burgers is open until 6pm. There's a Chinese place in the buffet area called Chopsticks I ate once. The deli is open most of the time and pizza pirate is 24hrs.

Sure have for the past 1/2 dozen cruises. We now average less than 50% of the time. On the last NCL 7 night we only did the dining room about 3 times, the rest was spent in O'Sheehans and Asian Fusion. We really liked the food and the atmosphere along with the faster pace of the meal.

Edited by ray98

My very first cruise I was so unprepared and misinformed that we basically missed the dining room altogether. I had no idea where it was, how to get to it, etc and it was just my buddy and I for a week long booze cruise. We went terribly late the the first night and I went alone on another night. BIG mistake. I really enjoyed the food and atmosphere. Sure it can take a while and interfere with other things but it's part of the cruise to me now.